[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 595 KB, 1914x1256, VeilFitsLibFirstTry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5553303 No.5553303 [Reply] [Original]

>source:http://www.cracked.com/article_20216_5-insane-theories-about-why-we-havent-discovered-alien-life_p2.html

The Rare Earth hypothesis, put forth by two scientists named Peter Ward and Donald E. Brownlee, suggests that since the development of life as it is on Earth was the result of a laundry list of geological and astrophysical events so cosmically random yet so crucially specific down to the smallest detail, it is ball-smashingly unlikely for a comparable civilization to have come into being anywhere else in the universe. That is, while some kind of bacteria or algae or cosmic mushroom may exist underneath some rocks on some far distant planet, the chances of there being another race of intelligent and industrious living things are about the same as you winning the lottery every single day for the rest of your life and then dying on the morning of your 200th birthday after getting struck directly in the face by Doc Brown's time train.

>> No.5553304

>>5553303

First of all, the position of a solar system is vital -- if it's too close to the center of the galaxy, everything will get melted by supernova radiation, but if it's too far along the edge of the galaxy it won't be able to support life. Then, the star at the center of the solar system can't be too old, too bright, or too big, otherwise complex life won't develop (complex life is very fussy). Finally, the planet on which said life develops has to be in a perfect orbit. In Earth's case, if the orbit was 5 percent smaller or 15 percent larger we would all freeze or burn to death, respectively. The size and location of our moon keeps the planet on a stable axis, preventing rapid and cataclysmic climate changes -- if we didn't have exactly one moon of the exact shape and size orbiting at its exact distance, we would all be superdead (and likely would never have existed to begin with).
The sequence of geologic eras even plays a crucial part -- if the Mesozoic had occurred after the Cenozoic, for example, the exact conditions needed for human life to develop might never have been met, upsetting the evolutionary order and resulting in a race of dinosaur humans.

>> No.5553308

>>5553304

Even the other planets in the solar system can have an effect. For example, Jupiter plays a huge role in keeping us all alive because it acts like a giant defensive lineman, blocking us from cosmic debris and world-ending asteroids like a celestial Olin Kreutz. There are innumerable other variables, all of which played a part in intelligent life appearing on just one planet out of an entire galaxy. The odds of every one of those things falling into place in the exact configuration necessary to duplicate both the existence and success of human beings are virtually nonexistent. Therefore, the fact that we haven't made contact with any alien civilizations is probably because there isn't anything out there to contact.

>> No.5553316

> too far along the edge of the galaxy it won't be able to support life
Because fuck you, that's why?

>> No.5553317

How accurate is this?

I'm getting an exitential crisis. We can't be alone, right? ;_;

>> No.5553314

So life is so rare that it can only happen ONE time.

Great argument.

>> No.5553320

Ya, life's pretty rare, but there's a motherfuckton of stars.

>> No.5553322
File: 46 KB, 437x391, the_drake_equation.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5553345

Supernovae:
One per galaxy.

Unverse 16 billion years old.
Earth is 6 billion years old; only took last billion for life.

Congratulations you are supernovae.
Do you know water? Bipolar molecules.
Oxygen is more electro because trains. Thus, we get trees with water critters. Motherfreakin water critters. Carbon is four loose carbons and chains that we are made of. Motherfreakin cells in your BRAIN.

Special star zone: Habital zone, do you know it?
Adhesion water happens there.
Anyway, Supernovae blow up iron oxygen, hydrogen, other gas into SPACE. FRGGIN' SPACE. don't forget the iron ball that becomes the supernova.

Shit gas becomes planets like us and BOOM: Planet system, like our solar system.

Liquid water? More likely than you think. WHADDUP MOTHAFUCKA. Lipids.. Carbohydrates: SUCK IT.

THIS IS FUCKING ASTROBILOGY.

Anyway, here's the deal.
Dude, the star age is determines how quickly it grows, it's radiation, whatever. Atmospheres help with that shit.

ALIENS
This isn't unlikely: billions of other systems.
Why hasn't anyone seen them? Cuase they have to travel very far very fast and our sun is really tiny anyway, which is pretty common.

Anyway LIFE: hard to find hard to replicate, but really likely. If it happened once, it can happen twice, it can happen in other glalxies, in our galaxy, other galaxies, near brown dwarfs (BET YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THOSE ARE), planetesimals i think, anyway, not important.

Ergo, life exists elsewhere.

>> No.5553349

>>5553345
what the fuck
consider suicide

>> No.5553359

Do you know how many stars there are in the universe? Would you like to Google it? No? Lazy!

Some astronomers have estimated 10^22 to 10^24 stars in the universe. That's from ten-thousand billion billion, up to a million billion billion.

The rare earth hypothesis is interesting, but a more reasonable explanation of why we haven't discovered alien life is that the universe is also very large and they could be millions or billions of light-years away.

>> No.5553362

Are these guys religious at all? If so im going to call a clear conflict of interest.

>> No.5553369

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120821-how-many-alien-worlds-exist

Enjoy faggots

>> No.5553373

>>5553359

Also consider that if the aliens are the equivalent of our typical african it is unlikely that they develop an industry.

>> No.5553391

>the chances of there being another race of intelligent and industrious living things are about the same as you winning the lottery every single day for the rest of your life and then dying on the morning of your 200th birthday after getting struck directly

Take that probability and multiply it by the infinite number of stars in the universe.

Doesn't seem so unlikely after all

>> No.5553406

Any Connecticutfags here? I have a friend who contends that today she saw a UFO flying over I-84 around in Waterbury around rush hour. I tried to point out it might have been a lenticular cloud or something but she seems to contend that it had the level of detail of a real (stereotypical sci-fi disc shaped) UFO. I figured if she was right I would have heard something on the news by now because it was freaking 84, at rush hour. Those no way somebody else didn't see it.

Maybe I'm just slow to get the news. Anyone else hear of anything like this happening?

>> No.5553413

>>5553406
I hope you're joking

>> No.5553419

>>5553413
Sadly I'm not.

I'm trying to be nice to my friends who are more... new age.

>> No.5553420

>>5553391
I don't think you know much about probability.

>> No.5553421

>>5553391
0 times a million billion. Gee, I bet that's a lot.

>> No.5553426

>>5553424
>implying

>> No.5553424

It's a complete and utter coincidence that the existence of an industrial highly intelligent species exists because of perfect conditions that don't exist anywhere else.

>> No.5553429 [DELETED] 

pic related

This always reminds me that everything we know about life has come from a single event.

What if this event is so rare that a thousand universes could come into existence and die before there is an appreciable chance... and what if even out of all of those many of the "life" events don't explode to give rise to the multitude of life that we have here on Earth.

TLDR; we literally only have ONE data point... Any guess as to whether or not we are alone in the universe is entirely baseless.

>> No.5553430

>>5553419
Well maybe you should tell her about the million other UFO sightings by retarded nednecks

>> No.5553432
File: 360 KB, 2420x933, 1349240329205.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related

This always reminds me that everything we know about life has come from a single event.

What if this event is so rare that a thousand universes could come into existence and die before there is an appreciable chance... and what if even out of all of those many of the "life" events don't explode to give rise to the multitude of life that we have here on Earth.

TLDR; we literally only have ONE data point... Any guess as to whether or not we are alone in the universe is entirely baseless.

>> No.5553435

>>5553426

Nobody before some english and belgian dudes thought about industry as we know it in 40.000 years. I'd even say 1.000.040.000 years.

Life is unlikely. Industrial life at our lever who didn't nuke itself to middle-age thrice is almost impossible.

>> No.5553438

>>5553430
I tried to explain to her that life from closest habitable planets to Earth would require FTL travel to get to Earth within their lifetime and there is no known method other than that concept design ship that warps space around it, which looks nothing like a stereotypical UFO and requires exotic matter with a negative energy density that has never been observed and isn't even in the standard model.

She hasn't replied to me.

She'll probably tell me off for being so closed minded when I next see her. I was told a very similar thing when I dismissed something she said about reiki and chakara or something like that.

>> No.5553447

>>5553438

surely these aliens capable of interstellar travel, whether through FTL travel or generation ships or extended lifespans or unmanned ships would have probes prepared for their destination (earth)

(I'm speaking as whoever this lady is)

>> No.5553451

>>5553373
But as long as there is one tribe that can produce more than enough food for their tribe, technology and civilization will develop and advance.

>> No.5553453

>>5553447
I also brought up why, out of so many alien sightings they all seem to be from random farmers in the middle of nowhere who can't provide any evidence to backup their claim other than maybe in some cases a few very blurry photographs.

I also brought up the fact that the behavior of such an advanced alien race would be unnatural. Why do random close fly-bys of Earth and occasionally kidnap and probe a resident, then put him back like nothing happened? It makes no sense. If they have FTL technology surely they have imaging technology to see our Earth in great detail from millions of miles away. No need for fly-bys. Also why not directly attempt to interact with the residents? Why contact random people in the middle of nowhere then leave? If you as a human were tasked with surveying a planet with advanced life would you use these primitive methods to collect data?

Sometimes I feel like I'm arguing with morons.

>> No.5553464

All they've done is described the exact sequence of events that led to life as it is here, and said that that precise sequence is unlikely to repeat itself.

>> No.5553467

Saying we're alone because we don't see anyone else is like saying the Earth is flat because we see it flat

And it makes me laugh when they say our orbit is "perfect"
I remember my religious step-father saying that if we were "a few more meters closer to the sun, we'd burn"
But our orbit is an ellipse, not a circle, and at the nearest we're 147M km away instead of 152M, which is already 3.3% closer, and we don't burn.

>> No.5553469

>winning the lottery every single day for the rest of your life and then dying on the morning of your 200th birthday after getting struck directly in the face by Doc Brown's time train.

>Cracked in charge of not taking the joke too far

>> No.5553475

>>5553451

Are we speaking about the same africans?