[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 27 KB, 429x410, 1314217165931.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5548982 No.5548982 [Reply] [Original]

From what I've seen and heard physicists are extremely condescending. I realize they probably get ideas like "what if our eyes are like black holes" from highschool kids every now and then, but lets say I've read several advanced books on physics and understood them quite well. I then propose a radical yet plausible hypothesis. Would physicists even consider it? I know that a terrible hypothesis from a prestigious university would get more inherent credence but just how rational/retarded are physicists on average?

An example of this is the Vera Rubin case where a women proposed dark matter and she was arbitrarily laughed at and called wrong.

>> No.5549000

>>5548982
We know how eyes work, they could be said to be like black holes, but in that case anything absorbing and or redistributing things are like black holes

For example this thread!

>> No.5549036

Probably not. If you think about it, there are thousands of physicists working on problems, coming up with ideas which might work in theory but we have no way of saying for sure until experimental physics catches up.

If some random person comes from outside the scientific community and proposes an idea, of course they're not going to take it very seriously, unless you get an actual physicist to look it over for you and it happens to make sense to them.

>> No.5549127

>>5548982
If you can't state your theory mathematically, you don't have a theory.

If you do, you can usually find someone to take a look at it, but the number of people that understand the mathematics necessary for a truly radical hypothesis in modern physics that don't have some affiliation with any academic institution can probably be counted on my hands.

>> No.5549133

>>5548982
>I've read several advanced books on physics and understood them quite well
This sentence alone makes me very confident that you know nothing of even upper undergraduate level physics.

>> No.5549139

>>5548982
>Vera Rubin case where a women proposed dark matter and she was arbitrarily laughed at and called wrong.
Rubin was not the first to propose dark matter nor did she get "arbitrarily laughed at and called wrong." You seem to misunderstand both history and the normal scientific process.

>> No.5549147

>>5549133
>you know nothing of even upper undergraduate level physics.
>nothing of even upper undergraduate level
>upperundergraduate level
>graduate level

>> No.5549149

>>5548982
>I've read several advanced books on physics and understood them quite well.

>this is what "I fucking love science" has done to our once great culture

>> No.5549152

>>5549147
I think there's a sharp divide between the two, all undergraduates are expected to do classical electrodynamics and hamiltonian mechanics by the end of their undergraduate curriculum for instance, but they're certainly not as easy as undergrad QM or newtonian classical mechanics.