[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 34 KB, 279x279, 1318210506417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5492239 No.5492239 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, how practical is an at-home peptide synthesis? I mean, maximum 10 amino acids, some repeating. I understand you will need at least one protecting group per reaction, no (specifically when combining terminals through acylation)? Has anyone tried small peptide synthesis? It seems a pain without having immediate access to all of these protecting groups. I know organic chemistry well, so I have an idea to connect the terminals, but I am just wondering how practical it is to try.

>> No.5492248

>>5492239
Amide formation is pretty simple.
What reagents do you have?

>> No.5492258

>>5492239
Well thats why I made this thread. I was going to do a bit of prepping. I have basic chemicals right now: HCl, h2so4, naoh, koh, na2co3, diethyl ether, etoh, meoh, ipa, calcium hypochlorite, socl2, KI, kmno4, xylene, naptha, bleach, toluene. I can order chemicals as needed.

If it's as simple as reacting an acyl chloride with the amine, then I can start soon. But to my understanding, the acyl chloride can react with side chains (i'm guessing amines)

>> No.5492270

>>5492258
>If it's as simple as reacting an acyl chloride with the amine.
That's not how it's usually done. It's done from the free acid using one of several 'peptide coupling agents' which have been developed over the course of several decades. Get a bottle of BOP (Castro's Reagent); it's easy to use and doesn't call for much in the way of additional reagents (you'll need some XS tertiary amine, but that's it.)
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/etc/medialib/docs/Aldrich/Brochure/al_chemfile_v7_n2.pdf
> But to my understanding, the acyl chloride can react with side chains (i'm guessing amines).
you should be able to buy aa's with protected side chains

>> No.5492298

>>5492270
>you should be able to buy aa's with protected side chains
This is one of the greatest things I have ever read. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I had no idea.

>free acid using one of several 'peptide coupling agents'
I have actually heard about peptide coupling agents before, it has totally slipped my mind. I was not familiar with more modern methods, I just picked up two books from the library about peptide synthesis and they begin both by talking about the acylation, and it seemed like the easiest way. But shit, nevermind. Thank you kindly, I think I can take it from here.

>> No.5492323

>>5492270
>castro's reagent

enjoy your cancer

>> No.5492331

>>5492323
I wont be needing a ton of it...