[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 687 KB, 1003x1217, url.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5485904 No.5485904 [Reply] [Original]

Interest has I always been in String Theory.

However, math is are very complex and make very hard understand I can.

How you do math with theories like this?

>> No.5485906
File: 175 KB, 374x452, 1359575143137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5485904
bump

>> No.5485941

String theory is more like... well going beyond math.

Don't worry so much about reality. Just think a billion thrillion tiny strings and think about how cool it would be if they tied into you. Its like you're made of yarn.

>> No.5485953

What exactly is the math behind string theory?

>> No.5485957

>>5485906
OP looks like he is going places
and so young to

>> No.5485965

>>5485953

as far as I know string theory incorporates more and more fields of modern math;
everything from complex manifolds to knot theory and stuff

>> No.5486156

General relativity math (tensor calc, differential geometry)
+ Quantum Field calc (quantum 4-spinors 'n' stuff)
its still math.

>> No.5486189

>>5485965
This is correct. But you don't really need to understand all of it, since string theory is so vast. Differential geometry is your best bet, but if you hate that and would rather do knot theory or even modular forms, there's a niche for you.

The basics just require some complex analysis and QFT, really.

>> No.5486424

>>5486189
>don't really need to understand all of it
>doing stringy knot / topological invariants without any grasp of where they actually come from
>doing modular forms without a clue on how the SCFTs and string structures themselves work

lol. But really, to understand and work on the "full blown" string theory that admits 10- or 11- dimensional vacua which the phenomenologists can study in various compactifications, and where we predict a whole non-trivial unitary S-matrix, you require a conceptual understanding of almost every subsector. It is impossible - or "false" - to split string theory into pieces that don't talk to each other and that don't share ideas. The ideas of string theory are unified and one can't separate them into subfields that can be meaningfully studied in isolation.

>> No.5486461

I'm a math grad student studying Kahler manifolds and in particular Calabi-Yau manifolds, which I have heard have something to do with string theory. So I'm guessing algebraic geometry?

>> No.5487442

M-theory is a blight on modern day science, it is the realm of misinformation and scientific regression into mythology. Seriously, the fact that anyone can take it as a possibility reveals the true nature of the theoretical physics community as dreamers and indoctrinated blind fools who follow this dogmatic nonsense. BTW it is not the only game in town.