[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 127 KB, 431x159, PiR2b.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5481942 No.5481942 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/,

I'm going to be studying maths next year at university, but before then, I would like to go over the topics I've learnt so far and take time to really understand everything in as much detail as possible.

Does anyone have some kind of infographic that lists all topics in maths, in order of which they're learnt and the best recommended books about each of them? I've always learnt from lectures and using text books which just go over the basic formulas, rather than go over deep understanding of the topic.

Also does anyone have any general tips for reaching your potential in maths?

Thanks. Have a cool gif.

>> No.5481984
File: 814 KB, 3045x2300, Math-Tree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5481942

>> No.5481989

>>5481984
I know everything listed there, but I want to go over everything in a lot of detail, so I gain some intuition behind it

>> No.5482003 [DELETED] 

I, too, am interested in this.

I have been doing this for physics books and saving them in a wishlist here.

http://tinylink.net/89623

They are, from what I can tell, considered the 'best' books on their subjects. They don't hold back mathematically, so they are difficult, but it doesn't matter because they are explained so well. These aren't books you will find cool images of athletes jumping over high beams in the chapter about gravity - they are clear, precise, and rigorous. But upon going through them you should gain an understanding beyond what your typical overpriced textbook your college gets to pass as many people as possible could provide.

It's still being edited, but there it is. I would like to do one for mathematical subjects, as well, or use somebody else's if they have it

>> No.5482007

>>5481984
pretty much all foundation level maths

>> No.5482016

>>5482003
Thanks this exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Mind if I favorite it? And will it update when you add more books?

>> No.5482019

>>5482016

Yeah, it should update

Here's the link again

http://tinylink.net/89623

4chan won't let me post directly via amazon's wishlist linker for some reason

>> No.5482022

>>5482019
Do you know which order you should read them in?

>> No.5482026

>>5482003
That's a tasty list

>> No.5482033

>>5482022

The first would be intro to mechanics. Then electricity and magnetism. After that, you would need to get a good book on special relativity, which I don't have, and go into the quantum physics book. Along that also learn about oscillating motion. Honestly, after that I'm not too sure. The error analysis for physical measurements is something you would need whenever you start doing actual lab work. I know I did because I hadn't taken a class on the subject before, nor had I been formally introduced to it at all. Cosmology and general relativity come last, but I think the astrophysics could be done before that

From the intro to mechanics, though, you need a solid foundation in calculus to do it

>> No.5482042

>>5482033

I've added my choice of oscillating motions in there. Do that before quantum and special relativity. I think in most colleges it goes: mechanics, electromagnetism, oscillations as physics I, II, and III, then quantum and on

I'm still going through college myself, so I really only know solidly up through the intro to quantum. As I graduate I should have a good idea of what's best to learn the stuff in