[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 300x325, Physics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5479098 No.5479098 [Reply] [Original]

hey,

i want to learn more about physics, and in particully quantum and particle physics.

Anybody has experience with the lectures of leonard susskind?
they are quite good listed here, because the stanford-youtube-channel is sometime difficult
http://tedyoung.me/2011/01/22/leonard-susskind-lectures/

>> No.5479116

>>5479098

I've gone through many of his lectures...they're very good, and he's a great guy. Of course, it's better if they're not your only source of learning, but some of his courses on youtube can be fully understood without much more than a good high school education. Go for it.

>> No.5479137

>>5479116
i'm a bioscience engineering student
i've had the standard undergraduate physics (mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity, magnitism,...) and some math (calculus, analysis, ...)

at the moment i'm watching his lecture about high bosons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqNg819PiZY&feature=plcp)) just to have a feeling about the subject. i must say i understand about 80% of what he says.

How are the most difficult lectures (string theory,...) compared to this?

If i go throught the modern physics series and understand everything, will i be able to understand his particle and string lectures?

>> No.5479141

>>5479137
typo, i mean of cours higgs bosons, not high bosons

>> No.5479147

>>5479116
This.

Make sure you use at least 2 textbooks for cross-reference.

As for good ol Lenny, he is indeed a great orator. His lectures are thorough, engaging, and clear. Couldn't ask anymore of a lecturer.

>> No.5479155

>>5479137
Somewhat.

There are a lot of mathematics involved in particle physics that are simply not covered in lectures prior to particle and string physics. You must seek out some curriculum and see what you can gather.

>> No.5479158

>>5479147
ok,

i'm searching for some good textbooks on the internet. Anybody has advice?

>> No.5479159

>>5479155
what are the most important math-principles i need to master?

>> No.5479255

bump

>> No.5479720

>>5479159
I think you can actually get away with not so much math if you're planning on getting to get acquainted without fully understanding everything. Fourier theory is essential, knowledge of Hilbert spaces is essential, group theory is essential, a little bit of complex analysis is advised. I think you ought to be able to get away with that,

However, you really do need to understand classical field theory and quantum mechanics before starting QFT, and you really can't do string theory without QFT.