[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 6 KB, 193x200, TF2engineer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5475319 No.5475319 [Reply] [Original]

How do I know how much energy it will take to electrolytically decompose a given mass of some compound? Let`s say, mole of water.

>> No.5475321

>>5475319
Faraday law

>> No.5475334

>>5475321
Can I know which will take more energy: vaporizing mole of water or decomposing it electrolytically, without FL?

>> No.5475435

The Heat of Vaporization of one gram of water is 2260 joules, so one mol would be 40680 joules. The electrolysis of water requires a minimum of 286000 of electrical energy input to dissociate each mole

>> No.5475440

>>5475435
But I don`t think I`m supposed to know how to calculate energy requirement for electrolysis at this point, it`s just high school book, fifth chapter.

>> No.5475444

>>5475440

do it anyways and impress your teachers

>> No.5475448

>>5475444
But I`m selflearning.

>> No.5475450

I mean would it be logical to choose electrolysis on the basis of that vaporizing is a separation of molecules, while electrolyzing is a separation of parts of the same molecules? So the required energy to decompose water must be greater.

>> No.5475455

>>5475448

google what "to study" even means

IRL you get problems and you need to find an answer to them without being told 'which book' you're supposed to use

>> No.5475462

>>5475450

Vaporization of water doesn't split Hydrogen from Oxygen.

Electrolysis splits hydrogen and Oxygen

Electrolysis needs alot more energy because the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen are very strong.

Vaporization of water depends on 2 things.

Heat and pressure.

In space you will not use any energy to "heat" the water because the low pressure will instantly vaporize the water.

Likewise here on Earth in high altitudes where there is lower air pressure, less heat energy is needed to vaporize water.

>> No.5475470
File: 25 KB, 281x291, strange-albert-einstein.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475319
Get two bottles, two nails, a bucket, and a cut electric plug.

Take the plug and seperate the wires. Strip the ends. Attach each of the raw wire ends to a nail. Take the nails and put them in the bucket of water (yes with the wires still attached, yes you will have electric wires in water). Make sure the wires aren't in direct contact with eachother (make sure the nails aren't touching). MAKE SURE YOUR BUCKET ISN'T METAL!

Take your two bottles (empty out the air however you can) and place them as "catchers" above each one of the nails. They will catch the gases with will come off the nails.

Now, simply plug in the wires, and Volia. You have electroysis. As long as the nails arent touching, and they are not touching, the water will provide enough "reistance" as to not create a short-circut. I usually make sure they are at least 5 inches apart.

Electrcity will flow into your wires, in turn into the nails, and in turn through the water. You can touch the water if your want, but you will get a mild shock.

The nails will form the cathode and the anode. You will see bubbles and gas comming off the nails. If your electricy is DC, then you will be able to collect seperatly the hydogen and oxygen, if your electricity is AC both bottles will be a mix of each.

If you have some scales and shit, you can measure all the shit you want. There is nothing like doing science for yoruself! That is the whole fucking point. It isn't just to memorize shit from a book, it is to do it and see shit for yourself.

You can literally do this experiment with shit you have lying around your house.
Any questions?

>> No.5475474

>Vaporization of water doesn't split Hydrogen from Oxygen.
>Electrolysis splits hydrogen and Oxygen
That`s what I just said.
>Electrolysis needs alot more energy because the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen are very strong.
What I need to know for sure is that intramolecular attraction forces are always greater than intermolecular. Than my conclusion would be correct. [Omitting ion solids, obviously.]
>Vaporization of water depends on 2 things.
Standard pressure was meant.

>> No.5475485
File: 37 KB, 485x340, 1015_albert-einstein-dead-celebs_485x340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475470
Also, the water may start to get hot, you will notice this gradually, so just be on the look out. It could eventually boil, if left too long.

You are dumping a shit ton of energy into the water. Not all of it will be used to break the water bonds, some is just used up to heat the water. You will need to keep track fo the water temp and the amount of water you have before and after the experiment.

It is pragmatically easier to calculate the loss in water, than the gain in hyodgen and oxygen, even though they are the same. It is just harder to measure the gases.

>> No.5475520
File: 7 KB, 200x179, 333.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475470
Well first of all I don`t even know what are the resistance and the short-circuit yet, so can`t know if it`s safe. And than I`d need to know the equation of the heating effect of electricity.
I`m not against being beyond the point you are assumed to be, it`s just clearly a lot more simple logic can be used to answer this question.

>> No.5475536

>>5475474

It should be fairly obvious that intramolecular forces are greater than intermolecular

>> No.5475557

>>5475520
You don't need to determine the resistance. You determine the energy lost in the water, by just measuing the temp of the water and a simple chem calculation.