[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 341x296, werenotworthy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5474343 No.5474343 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/ I know most of you are accomplished or at least on your way. so i come before you asking for help. I'm starting college in a few weeks with some heavy math coming up. starting with college algebra, geo, trig, calc then physics. obviously this is over a few years and I'm sure the courses will lead into one another but is there anything extra you can recommend to help along the way? I have been doing kahnacademy and thats working out great but is there anything else you can recommend? Also, I will have to learn C++ next year so I have started looking into that now, are there any websites or books you can recommend to help with that?

>tldr; starting college, any recommendations for algb,trig,calc,phys,C++

>> No.5474355

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

>> No.5474393

>>5474343
That's not heavy math

>> No.5474394

Requesting the image with aliens simulating aliens simulating us, the whole string theory joke.

>> No.5474401

C++ Primer Plus 6th Edition
Occasionally talks about C, but it's fine for a novice programmer. You'll want to get an actual textbook regardless.

>> No.5474413

>I have to learn C++

learn python now. It's easy and will give you a solid foundation to build on. If you aren't going into software then you probably only need to use C++ for algorithms and running simulations. That kind of thing is actually pretty easy to do in a programming language, the hard part is the logic, so no need to go crazy and learn the language inside and out.

Math is easy as fuck, don't be a pussy.

>> No.5474430

>>5474413
No.

OP, don't learn Python if you have to learn C++. They're completely different kinds of languages and the syntax doesn't transfer over at all. Basic CS principles can be learned easily in any language, and wasting your time learning Python won't help.

>> No.5474478

>>5474430
Cheers, I have heard that C++ is a more complicated javascript and I'm not horrible at that. But i assumed the best way to learn it was just to do it.
>>5474413
haha, I hear you, your like one of those strong dickheads thats like "benching 500lbs is easy"
once you put in the time i have no doubts.

>> No.5474517

hey op, you are in a position i once was. i went back to school at 20 and started at the bottom of the totem pole (as in, math 101 at the local technical college). i had no clue what i was doing back then; i just knew i had to go to school to get a good job. i am incredibly thankful i did that and you will be too one day.

as far as online resources go, khanacademy made me love and appreciate math whereas patrickjmt showed me how to compute. youtube in general is the greatest resource for knowledge you have ever encountered. use it to your advantage because most people don't. here's a plug for our sticky--it has a ton of interesting information and educational resources. check it out.

it's interesting you're already informed about programming. programming will make learning math much easier and it will make more intuitive sense. it's a helpful leg-up that you will have against your peers in the years to come.

there really is no advice that i nor /sci/ can give you that will allow you to be a more successful student. you appear to already have the initiative to get shit done, so just run with it.

good luck in your endeavors. and don't rush things. you'll get there eventually.

>> No.5474552

>>5474517
firstly, let me just say, you, you are why i love coming here. people like you who just want to talk and help other people. thats why i love 4chan. obviously the trolls are hilarious and /b/ is just crazy, but i think thats where most of us start and then realize that there is so much more. People like you make me realize that for some people math is just easy but for most of us, like any skill really, math is something we are passionate about and knowledge is learned (learnt? im drunk, its Australia day, go fuck yourself)
anyway, thank you. you are what is great on this site, and in this world.
alright enough, dick sucking
i have started looking into jmt and loving it and i remember looking into the sticky when i first started coming to /sci/ but i will have to revisit.
thank you again

>> No.5474556

>>5474478
> I have heard that C++ is a more complicated javascript
More complicated, and not as powerful. C++ is such a fucking embarrassment.

>> No.5474564
File: 1.96 MB, 508x286, 1357540312398.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5474556
>mfw enjoying an extremely powerful and versatile language that most people can't bother to learn because it's too hard

>> No.5474566
File: 45 KB, 256x284, heart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5474564
Ahh, a fellow lisper!

>> No.5474578

>>5474566
Well I certainly wasn't referring to JS or Python.

>> No.5474580

wat

>> No.5474635
File: 36 KB, 651x614, frenshp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5474430
>OP, don't learn Python if you have to learn C++. They're completely different kinds of languages and the syntax doesn't transfer over at all.

terrible advice from an ignorant moron. curly braces and other minutia aside, they're practically the same language. learn the fundamentals of OOP in python and learning c++ will be a breeze. try to pick up c++ on your own and suffer through the tedium of learning programming in a horrible language.

>> No.5474813

>>5474556
>More complicated, and not as powerful. C++ is such a fucking embarrassment.

>Implying C++ is not as powerful as Javascript
>Implying it is not one of the most versatile programming languages.
>Implying that Windows was written in C++ just for fun.
>wot

>> No.5474816

>>5474635
>taking advice about a language from someone who a says the language is horrible
I don't think so Tim.

>> No.5474817
File: 10 KB, 275x254, 01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5474813
> scientist
> using windows

>> No.5474855
File: 75 KB, 500x351, 620-is-this-real-life.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5474817

When did I say anything about scientists using windows you cunt-fuck. Windows (as in the OS) is written in C++. I have no idea what you are on about.

>> No.5474864
File: 4 KB, 300x57, imag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5474817
>not processing the output of your Fortran code in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet

>> No.5474880

>>5474556
Um, C++ is much easier than Javascript.

Sure, C++ is more syntax-heavy, but closures and weak-typing twist the brains of lesser coders inside-out.

I'd rather dip my weiner in boiling oil than write a C++ program, but your statements are ludicrous.

>> No.5474888

>>5474817
Everything is written in C++ smartass. You think Linux is written in Lisp with a smattering of Ruby? Even OSX is all sort-of C++ (Objective C, fun twist on your grandpa's C).

>> No.5475003

OP here, haha you guys are all so defensive.
I don't care which language is the most functional I just need to know a good place to start learning C++. does anyone know any other good resources?
>>5474355
thanks man

>> No.5475007

>>5474888
Linux is mostly straight C, not C++. C++ is a hellhole.

>> No.5475947

It dosent take a week to learn a programming language

>learn them all

>> No.5476782

>/sci/
>accomplished

>> No.5476860

>>5475007
Forbidding C++ is their policy. I don't think *BSD, HURD and friends can afford writing kernel in C++ though.
>>5474556
I don't think the creator would feel shame or anything. It is a natural demanding language from the C land.
That is, C++ is a hacked language from C for performance,comparable to C, a typical example of "if it doesn't break, add more features".

>> No.5478156

>>5476860
If someone really wants to make a change they would write an operating system in erlang; with haskell for the very low level stuff.

>> No.5478170

>>5474888

linux is written in C, not C++

infact linus, the inventor of linux, has a famous rant talking shit on c++ and specifically people that code in c++.

"C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot
of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much
easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if
the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out,
that in itself would be a huge reason to use C..."

continued, http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/57918