[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.37 MB, 1920x1200, 72557.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5464418 No.5464418 [Reply] [Original]

What's up/sci/ ,
So I'm 18, halfway through last year of school and I'm thinking very heavily of doing computer science.
I'm quite good at maths but nothing brilliant and I've had a keen interest in gaming for a long time and would like to one day develop one. However I hear that the drop-out rate is huge and I'm worried that I might drop also. How do I know that I really want to do it and that I won't drop out?

Also on a side note, I would have loved to do astronomy/astrophysics but they don't have it in the college I'm going to.

pic unrelated

>> No.5464429

computer science has nothing to do with developing games.

>> No.5464441

>>5464418
if you haven't ever coded something you might have a hard time starting it, eventhough I don't know how much you guys over there programm in computer science, but you might have to deal with code

but more importantly, programming games is no realistic motivation to do computer science, at first, you may have to do more than just programming to develop games, and second the chances of getting into a job for game development in a company are nearly equal to zero

>> No.5464941

The question you should answer could be:
Do you want to understand how a computer works?
Do you want to master the art of using computers to solve real problems?
Do you want to be able to build tiny little pieces of working logical perfection?
Or do you want to build, monitor and control large complex interoperating systems?
Or maybe... when something is not like you want on your computer, do you blame the computer, or you blame yourself?

I think you, deep inside, already know the answer. But you have to be brave and forge some commitment with yourself.

>> No.5465213

If you want do develope games (don't there are far more interesting subjects in world of computers, science and mathematics) you don't really need an academic education for that. But if you really need to go for something applied like software engineering.

>> No.5465221

Let me tell you my story.

I like computers. I like playing games on computers and building computers. I decided to major in computer science. I realized I wouldn't need a degree in CS to do anything I was interested in doing related to computers. So I switched to something else.

>> No.5465317
File: 14 KB, 343x383, 1326168505838.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5465345

>>5464941
>Do you want to understand how a computer works?
Major in EE/CompE/ECE
>Do you want to master the art of using computers to solve real problems?
Major in CompE
>Do you want to be able to build tiny little pieces of working logical perfection?
Major in EE
>do you want to build and control self-monitoring large complex interoperating systems?
Major in EE/CompE
>do you want to be mediocre and half ass everything you do
Major in CS

>> No.5465354

>>5465317
So that's why they make more than pretty much every other major and are in high demand.

Clearly its a field for retards.

>> No.5465364
File: 142 KB, 1024x765, 1358791476094.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>laughing_whores.jpeg