[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 478 KB, 512x695, 1346131634688.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5436447 No.5436447 [Reply] [Original]

Compsci, maths, physics - triple major

Compsci, maths - double major

Physics, maths - double major

Which one would you choose and why?

>> No.5436452

>>5436447
Physics/Math

Compsci is lame and triple majoring is hard as fuck.

>> No.5436458

>>5436452
what this guy said
i dont know much about the US system but you can't you minor in something?

>> No.5436466

>>5436452
Would job would you get with a physics/maths without doing postgrad?

>> No.5436472

philosophy, gender studies, sociology - triple major

>> No.5436474

compsci physics

math minor (and only take relevant classes)

ftw. it's what I'm about to graduate with

>> No.5436475

Do a single major well. Nobody gives a shit about double majors.

>> No.5436483

>>5436475
where do you get that idea? I'll allow you to refine your position

>> No.5436503

>>5436483
I'm not saying a double major is worse. Just that it isn't better in any important way, besides that you have two choices of fields to go into.

I guess it might be worth it if you want to choose one major for interest and another for getting a job. But if you're applying for jobs with a comp sci and a math major, employers will probably just treat you as a comp sci major.

>> No.5436514

>>5436503
ok. you are reasonable. (applying to both compsci and physics grad schools now, which is the major benefit)

>> No.5436518

I find majoring in very closely related fields to be retarded.

Physics and math double major? Why?

If you want to double major, do it in two different colleges like science + humanities or science + art.

>> No.5436532

>>5436518
>Physics and math double major? Why?
They're both interesting
They complement and augment each other.

>> No.5436541

>>5436532
Then become a physics major. You'll have a lot of opportunities to take the math classes you want.

>> No.5436594

I don't understand the compsci/math combo. I don't feel that they're close enough to justify the amount of work it would take to major in both.

For example, I know a triple econ/math/physics major, and I just wanna shake the kid and ask him why he doesn't drop either the econ or physics. The math and physics complement each other; The math and econ complement each other, but at some point one along his career the physics or econ becomes irrelevant. Why postpone the inevitable voiding of a major, and put forth all the extra work that comes with it?

Maybe some others could offer some insight on it that I'm not seeing, because I really fail to see the point of all three.

>> No.5436630

>>5436518
>do it in two different colleges like science + humanities or science + art.
It's almost impossible to pull that off these days, unless you go into your first year planning on doing it.

>> No.5436636

>>5436594
Multiple majors are for people who can't choose more than for people who are good.

>> No.5436670

>>5436594
Do you think the existence of subjects like convex optimization, computational algebraic geometry or algebraic graph theory does not justify a double major in cs and math?

>> No.5436685

Triple major, become Bill Chen, get 300k starting and make millions at poker.

>> No.5436697

>>5436685
who is bill chen?

>> No.5436707

>>5436697

Bro do you even google?

>> No.5436714

>>5436594
>cs and math not related
cs is just programming right?

>> No.5436733

Physics and maths. I'm doing it right now.

I think it's important to absolutely understand maths as much as any good mathematician. If math is the language of science, then understanding the language as best as possible will help you describe and discover scientific principles all the better. Physics is also important as it's the science of the facilities of the universe. The action, the energy.

Having a completely solid education in both will give you the tools you need to conquer everything else.

>> No.5436755

Depends on what you want to do in life. If undergrad is as far as you want to go, and you like money, go comp-sci+either one. I would choose math just because the required courses for CS overlap more with math so less credit hours over all.

triple major is a waste of effort unless you just like learning new things. You can get a masters for that much work.

>> No.5436784

I think Physics + CS would be best. It's more employable and you get to deal with cool theoretical shit.

I'm majoring in computational physics since I'm too lazy to double major, but it's pretty much the same.

>> No.5437068

Majoring in Music
Minoring in Mathematics

>> No.5437076

>>5436784
This.

Physics/CS gives you several advantages:

- The CS bachelor's degree is among the lowest in unemployment and highest in average salary, so if you don't go into grad school (or don't go into grad school immediately), you've got the best chances of solid employment.

- The CS double major is going to help you get into physics grad programs because, well, you're going to be a slave to science for 4-8 years, and science loves slaves who can write code.

>> No.5437153

If you want to go to grad school in physics, take as many advance or graduate math courses as you can and definitely major in math. Getting a physics major opposed to a minor isn't as important but make sure to take your schools advance physics labs courses and get some research experience outside of class.

If you want to go to grad school in math, also take as many advance or graduate math courses as you can and definitely major in math. Try to also take some theoretical flavored advance physics courses (EM, Quantum, Thermo) for culture. If in your studies you realize that you like one branch of math better than other, make sure you don't fully neglect the other import branches even if they seem unrelated or uninteresting. The best work done in mathematics always bring together vastly different branches of mathematics together.

Regardless if you want to go to grad school in physics, math, or CS and/or that you want to get a job programming; taking intro CS courses will be a waste of you're time. You'll be far better served by teaching yourself how to code in C++, Data Structures, Architecture, Discrete Math, and Algorithms than wasting time being bored in far too easy CS courses on those subjects. If you want to take advance courses, speak to the professor teaching them and just get special permission to take them.

tl;dr Physics & Math and teach yourself up to junior level CS in your free time

>> No.5437163

Physics/Math.
Pick up CompSci on your own time as a hobby, should be easy as fuck with all that math and physics.

>> No.5437169
File: 14 KB, 343x383, 1326168505838.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5437176

>>5436466
code nigger
engineering technician

>> No.5437178

>>5436475
>>5436475
False. I doubled in civil and French; the French is what landed me a finance job. The guy that interviewed me was a French-Swiss guy.

>> No.5437181

>>5437163
this

CS courses are a joke compared to math and physics ones

>> No.5437182

>>5437068
Subtle.

>> No.5437189

Physics and Math Would be my choice.

I'll stick with Pure Math master race though.

>inb4 no job

>> No.5437434

>>5437163
>...should be easy as fuck with all that math and physics.

I have hired and fired many physics/oure-math people that turned out to be shit coders.

>> No.5437454

>>5437434
They don't come out of physics with that knowledge. They have to learn it. Did you even check to see what they have coded before.

>> No.5437462

>>5437434
well why would any competent physicist or mathematician end up coding for you?

>> No.5437469

You all are scared of employment. Lack of jobs. Yet you complain about those that put in a great effort (double majors) to get the most opportunities for jobs. Hypocrites.

>> No.5437489

>>5436447

I would choose none of these, but if I had to choose, I'd do physics & math, learning compsci on my own.

However, if you're truly dedicated, very good at managing time, and have no life at all, triple majoring is probably your thing to do. Besides, compsci classes are fucking easy compared to physics and math.

>> No.5437495

>>5437462
Because, really, at the current point in time, programming is what makes science happen. Given the scale of most of the programming that has to be done (e.g., the tools developed are not large enough to warrant an actual software engineer), you end up looking for CS folks who are interested in physics, or physicists who can code.

The problem is 99% of the people in related fields who try to code are absolutely fucking terrible at it. Note that I'm saying this from the perspective of a long-time engineering returning to academia -- I don't even think CS grad students can code worth a shit, but they're leaps and bounds above the typical math/physics major trying to do so.

The whole "you can just learn it in your spare time" people don't know what they're talking about; everyone seems to think anyone can learn to code, and sure, anyone can write a hello world, but being able to write shit that works, will keep working, and can be efficiently maintained... well, that's not an easy problem. And throwing amateurs at the problem often just makes it worse.

>> No.5437506

>>5436541
it usually goes like...'i'm a physics major and hey look...i only need like a few more math classes to double major in math too...and I like math just fine so why not??'

>> No.5437509

>>5437454
No because we hire code monkeys by the bunch. We just need a few good ones to hang around.
>>5437462
In California that is all math/physics people are good for. They are not engineers so people have a hard time understanding what they can do. We all know a civil guy can build a house, but what does a physicist do. We also hire them as assistants to engineers at lower pay.

>> No.5437511

>>5437469
People aiming for jobs shouldn't be doing math or physics anyway. People aiming for grad school would be better off knowing more about the field they want to go to grad school in.

>> No.5437516

>>5437509
>No because we hire code monkeys by the bunch. We just need a few good ones to hang around.

your HR that sucks.