[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 262 KB, 620x388, phantasmagoria1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5368487 No.5368487 [Reply] [Original]

Video game violence, does it have any measurable effects?

I'm interested in survey papers and some good studies.

>inb4 feelz
>inb4 opinionz

>> No.5368494

>>5368487
Google Scholar is your friend.

>> No.5368528

>>5368494
>Since 2012
>About 10,600 results
Yeah, he's the kind of friend who won't stfu and get to the point.

>> No.5368551

I happen to be the most violent, graphic GTA player I know. When I play liberty city on ps3 at my friends house, I like to point the assault rifles at the cops in the car when they are stopped at lights. Most people dont know, but the put their hands up when you use the assault rifle. They dont fight back.

I then double tap both of them in the head. Typically, the driver will fall forward sounding the horn. I get quite a kick out of that. Next I get in the car and turn the light off--they annoy me. Now in high speed pursuit, I 180 my car and start driving in reverse. With the car in this position, I can drive in reverse and face the cops while I shoot at them. You know you'll have killed one of them because the cruiser will simply swerve off the road and crash.

Generally, at this point, I will swing my car back around and accelerate. With 3 stars, the game is finally starting to become somewhat interesting

Truth is, I havent owned video games in years. I played tons of these games as a kid though, and Ive never had a real life violent thought in my life.

Im a pacifist. I dont even agree with our wars.

>> No.5368570

yes, it does have effects, but they probably are as measurable as shitty parenting skills

(no one ever blames the parents)

I played violent video games as a child, and of course, the pretend guns followed suit, but I outgrew it, and now I'm a famous mathematician. 300k/yr any job I want

>> No.5368576

Quick, show of hands: who here does not and have not played violent video games?

Girls don't count.

>> No.5368637

Yes.

They curb violence.

Oddly enough, "Christian" video-games PROMOTE violence.

>> No.5368644

this is me usually
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICt1aGfsdRc
>in real life

>> No.5368651

When I was young I used to use cheats on Half Life so that I'd have all the weapons at the very beginning of the game. I could then run around the facility killing the scientists in the most bloody of ways. Shit was fun.

But yeah if anything I'd be willing to bet it lessens real violence, and stress in general.

>> No.5368663

This seems like the type of question that is very difficult to answer statistically. People who are drawn to imaginary violence probably have a higher-than-average propensity for actual violence to begin with. Correlation, causation etc.

>> No.5368678

I don't have the graph, but I saw one on /v/ last night that measured video game consumption (in units of $/capita spent) vs murders/capita.

The "trend" was extremely faint, but it was in favour of more money spent = less murders committed.

I can't remember it fully but South Korea had one of the highest expenditures per capita and one of the lowest murder rates.

It's hardly a rigorous study, but it suggests that the claim of video game violence is bullshit.

>> No.5368912

bumping for actual science

>> No.5368935

>>5368678
uhhhhh maybe because people who are sitting around playing video games are less likely than someone who spends all day around other people to, you know, murder someone...

>> No.5368951

>>5368528
Get high ranked recent papers.
Look for something general.
Voilà.

>> No.5368955

http://videogames.procon.org/sourcefiles/Effectofblood.pdf

Here you go, Mortal Combat and blood levels and their effects on aggression, hostility etc. Covered this in uni.

>> No.5368962

Also something a little more general

http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/faculty/caa/abstracts/2010-2014/10asisbsrs.pdf

>> No.5369050

>>5368962
>Concerning public policy, we believe that debates can and
should finally move beyond the simple question of whether violent
video game play is a causal risk factor for aggressive behavior; the
scientific literature has effectively and clearly shown the answer to
be “yes.”
well now

>> No.5369058

>>5368487
So what's the name of this game OP?

>> No.5369076

I posted the two articles, forgot to mention though that the findings tend only to be short term, not significant on a long term basis

>> No.5369080

>>5369058
Phantasmagoria, an old fav of mine

>> No.5369084
File: 91 KB, 600x905, 12687576834.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5368487
My personal observation is that though video-games don't directly increase violent crime rate they have a rather desensifying effect on youth.

People of our generation are considerably more agressive, cynical and apathetic towards violence than the generation before video games and this thing seems to intensify as violent-vidya become more explicit and realistic.

Same goes for anime I guess... we rationalize that "these are fictional people, they don't have feelings" but greatest part of empathy doesn't arise from rational ethical evaluation of the situation but by sensational stimuli. I am not sure it's okey to derive pleasure by graphical representation of mortal and sadistic violence and it's kinda sort-sighted to confidently claim it has no impact on our lives.

>> No.5369109

>>5369084
Please keep in mind this is a SFW board.

>> No.5369203

>>5369084
>People of our generation are considerably more agressive, cynical and apathetic towards violence than the generation before video games and this thing seems to intensify as violent-vidya become more explicit and realistic.
I fundamentally disagree.
Any honest assessment of violence in society shows that it is declining. Rates of violent crime, the chances of you being murdered, the chances of you being drafted, all these things are falling rapidly.
I think you are suffering from confirmation bias. The amount of real-life violence that people are exposed to (through media) is certainly increasing, but that's just because we're communicating more. I can hear about a school shooting in the USA even though I live thousands of miles away, making it feel immediate when it is not.

I've been looking through Google Scholar, and it seems that there are two camps: there's Anderson, and there's everyone else. Anderson says vidya makes you violent, and almost all other studies not included in Anderson's reviews show at most a correlation effect. Am I biased, or is he?

>> No.5369406

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT_bNKBcalI

Has relevance. Kid kills nazi father video game t-shirt. Publicized. 60 minutes pauses conspicuously on t-shirt.

>> No.5369454

>>5368487
phantasmagoria I and II were nice, too bad it didn't make myst numbers.

>> No.5369845

>>5369084

is that image SFW? maybe delete it just to be safe?

>> No.5369847

>>5369845
I sure as fuck wouldn't want my boss to see me looking at that.

>> No.5369850

>>5369845
>be the boss
>allow your workers to watch any damn thing they want to, as long as there are no clients to see it and it doesn't inconvenience other employees
I'll allow it.

>> No.5369852
File: 80 KB, 713x570, Murder_Simulators_5524.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5369855

>>5369084
>People of our generation are considerably more agressive, cynical and apathetic towards violence than the generation before video games
You mean the generations that went to war?

>> No.5369869

>>5369084
>People of our generation are considerably more agressive, cynical and apathetic towards violence than the generation before video games and this thing seems to intensify as violent-vidya become more explicit and realistic.

yep. do your homework and read stuff about perception bias...