[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 65 KB, 268x202, vlok2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5364344 No.5364344 [Reply] [Original]

Hey,
I'm a graduate student who's studying Bio-Science Engineering, major in Chemical Engineering and Bioprocess Technology.
I have a little dilemma in the chosing of my masters thesis, and maybe you guys can help me.

I'm interested in modelling systems and using this knowledge in things like process control, optimization,... Two professors have offered me several subjects, saying I can choose whichever I want if I do my thesis with them. One is working on continuous models based on PDE (cfr. CFD, bioreactor models,...) while the other is working on discrete models based on cellular automata (cfr Wolframs 'A new kind of Science).
The first kind of models has already an established amount of knowledge so the subjects would be more applied, for example setting up a model for a waste water treatment plant. PDE's offer a lot of limitations in the model complexity however and sometimes offer bad approximations.
The CA models are relatively new, so the subjects in this niche cover 'simpler' things like the modelling of a chemical reaction, which would still be rather complex but not as complex as an entire bioreactor of course. The goal here would be to build a model from scratch, as CA-models have no established protocols (yet). It would be more a research 'in the unknown' but would ofcourse also be more difficult because of this, and literature would offer less support.

Has /sci any thoughts for me to help me make my decision? If you need more information, ask away.

>> No.5364366

Based strictly on your post, it sounds like the continuous models would be better for you. Save the groundbreaking stuff for your PhD or turn it into the legacy of your career.

>> No.5364374

fuck PDE's do the other one
I'm a bit biased though

>> No.5364424

If you're capable of handling the PDE problems and the cellular automata problems, I'd say skip the PDEs because more people are qualified to handle them and it wouldn't really be a "niche" for you.

>> No.5364459

>>5364366
Hmm...
If you do a PhD (which I plan to do), aren't you stuck in the path of your masters' thesis? Or can you easily switch to another subject?

>> No.5364463

>>5364459
? Why are you even in Masters program... Just go straight to pHD

Do the less pussy project. Stop being pussy. Talk to PI, upgrade to mentor status. Get pHD.

>> No.5364466

>>5364459
Depends on program.

>> No.5364486

>>5364463
Because Masters degree gets you an engineering degree... PhD comes after.

>> No.5364491

hate to interupt. but could you do me a favor op? i'm on mobile and cant seem to make my own thread, could you make one for me? i could write you the subject and comment field for you to copy and paste. i'm not sure why i can't make a thread right now

>> No.5364497

>>5364463
Not all disciplines shove you right into a PhD program.

>> No.5364720

Any more suggestions?