[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 33 KB, 519x434, 1352936014640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5357153 No.5357153 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/!
I am working on some molecular biology and I am kind of stuck.
I am looking for a proper definition of what an isoaccepting species of tRNA is. Everything I am reading makes it seem like its just another name for the Wobble Theory. Am I wrong in my thinking? Are they actually different things?

>> No.5357157

>>5357153
I have no clue what you are talking about but I am genuinely interested.

Bump.

>> No.5357165

>>5357157
Just googled Wobble Theory. What the fuck is the "I" base, OP?

>> No.5357169

From google/answers.com:

Any transfer RNA species obtainable from a given organism that can be acylated by the same amino acid; they may differ in their anticodons.

>> No.5357176

>>5357165

Inosine. It's deaminated guanine (more accurately, it's adenosine where the 6 carbon has been oxidized, i.e., -NH2 to =O)

>> No.5357177

>>5357165
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inosine

>> No.5357183

>>5357157
Thank you sir.
What it has to do with is the translation process. Its how the tRNA finds and reads the mRNA to produce an amino acid. The Wobble theory allows for a single tRNA to "read" 2 or more codons(mRNA sequences) The "wobble" occurs at the 3rd base of the mRNA. If say the normal base is adenine, it could also be guanine and still be recognized by the same tRNA.

The way I understand it is that it allows for the cell to be more efficient. If this process wasn't in place we would need fucking 64 different tRNAs.
>>5357165
An "I" stands for Inosine, it is a modified guanine base. Inosine allows for up to 3 options of pairing between the mRNA and the tRNA if the inosine is in the 3rd position of the tRNA.
>>5357169
I think I might have figured it out too. Amino acids that are coded by 4 or more codons will generally have 2 or more tRNA's. So for example, Serine is coded by by 6 codons but 4 of those share the same first two bases, uracil cytosine. UCU and UCC will have one tRNA between them and then UCA and UCG will have another tRNA between them. Making them an isoaccepting species. I might be wrong though.

>> No.5357194

>>5357183
>I think I might have figured it out too. Amino acids that are coded by 4 or more codons will generally have 2 or more tRNA's. So for example, Serine is coded by by 6 codons but 4 of those share the same first two bases, uracil cytosine. UCU and UCC will have one tRNA between them and then UCA and UCG will have another tRNA between them. Making them an isoaccepting species. I might be wrong though.
Idk, but it doesnt seem to fit the definition.

>> No.5357200

>>5357194
That is my problem at the moment. I have no idea what the definition actually means and from the poor information my professor gave us I truly can't come to a conclusion. She specifically picked this topic because it wasn't in our text. Just for reference, she has a knack for picking topics that aren't in the text and expecting us to know them by heart inside and out even though she lectures on them for what seems like a minute..

>> No.5357205

>>5357200
Look for a video explanation on youtube or google videos.

>> No.5357225

>>5357200
Also the notes I have from class are this.
-Have different anticodons(tRNA's) and some sequences.
-carry the same Amino Acid
-Same synthase charges them.
Like the definition above I think that ties into with what I was saying about Serine. The same synthase will charge(acylate) those tRNA species even in the tRNA species are different.

>>5357205
Looked everywhere on the net map. No idea. Gonna have to go with what I have and hope it is right.

I will keep this thread around and keep checking back on it. I would like to thank you guys for helping and being interested in the topic. Thanks /sci/!!