[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 83 KB, 960x591, 395902_517581244924144_852009723_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5346036 No.5346036 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever thought about death, have you ever thought about the idea that one day your existence will end and your body will rot in the ground? Probably.

But have you ever thought about not dying? Have you ever thought of, or hoped for, the possibility that you can live forever, that this scary idea of dying doesn't have to happen? I believe that this is possible.

Many people say that it can't be done, that it's impossible, it'll never happen, but history shows us that these people were always wrong. People used to think that man will never fly, but look at us now. They were wrong. People used to think that man will never go to the moon. They were wrong too. People used to force other people to work for them as slaves and then refused to afford them the same rights/treatment they recieve. That has changed to the point that now a man who would've been a slave during that time period is now the president of the United States. Many people have said it can't be done, it's impossible, but history has proved them wrong. I aim to do the same thing.

This thread is dedicated to increasing (if not indefinitely) the human lifespan. In this thread, we will pool our knowledge to come up with a solution for increasing the human lifespan, slowing down aging, and preventing death.

>> No.5346049

You're going to die eventually, it's inevitable. Everyone dies but not everyone truly lives. What matters is that you live your life, ie. get the fuck off 4chan.

Cut the junk food out, get fit, read more, fuck bitches.

>> No.5346079

>>5346049
>what's important is that you live
>let me arbitrarily define what it means to live and convince you its the only way

this guy

>> No.5346134
File: 190 KB, 639x950, This was taken in my town yesterday, when the Ice Sea cathedral was lit in blue for the first time this year. - Imgur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If eternal recurrence is true, you're here now because you died in the previous iteration of this universe.

>> No.5346137
File: 108 KB, 800x370, Median_age.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Based off of this picture, it appears that poor countries with poor nutrition, rampant disease, and poor medical care suffer from shorter lifespans while richer, wealthier countries benefit from better nutrition and medical care.

Obvious statement alert: it looks like good health plays a major role in living a long life, but what exactly is considered "good health"? Is it blood pressure? Cholestoral levels? What about body fat percentage and exercise? Is one kind of exercise superior to others, or is a mix/balance of types of exercise more beneficial? These are the questions I/we need to find out.

>> No.5346159

>>5346134
>>5346134
>if eternal recurrence is true

I'm not saying that you're wrong or that your idea is foolish, it's just that there's no evidence to support this idea. Simply put, it's just that, an idea.

Eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence") is a concept which posits that the universe has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the Western world, though Friedrich Nietzsche resurrected it as a thought experiment to argue for amor fati.

In addition, the philosophical concept of eternal recurrence was addressed by Arthur Schopenhauer. It is a purely physical concept, involving no supernatural reincarnation, but the return of beings in the same bodies. Time is viewed as being not linear but cyclical.

>> No.5346161
File: 1.25 MB, 938x1130, aubreydegrey.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging.html

>> No.5346174
File: 82 KB, 660x495, Romanesco+Broccoli.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346159
>no supporting evidence
Begging to differ, naturally occurring cycles and fractals are all over the place.

>> No.5346176
File: 44 KB, 465x350, chromallocyte_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know the solution, I just need to assemble it.
http://jetpress.org/v16/freitas.pdf

>> No.5346188
File: 17 KB, 250x182, DCB6Ge.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346176
And I don't have tools to do it yet.

>> No.5346192
File: 11 KB, 410x251, leadingcausesofdeathinamerica.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

found a list of the leading causes of death in america (2009)

we could start from the end and work our way back. In other words, why did most people in america die? Then we can research ways to avoid the same fate.

>> No.5346196

>>5346161
He looks pretty old for someone who claims to know how to avoid aging

>> No.5346200

>>5346174
>Begging to differ, naturally occurring cycles and fractals are all over the place.

They're not though.

>> No.5346206

>>5346174
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli
>The head of Romanesco broccoli is a visually striking example of an approximate fractal in nature. The pattern is only an approximate fractal since the pattern eventually terminates when the feature size becomes sufficiently small
>approximate fractal
>approximate fractal
>approximate fractal
>approximate fractal
>approximate fractal
>approximate
>approximate
>approximate
>approximate
>approximate
>approximate

>> No.5346222

>>5346137
the irony is, the richer folks are so in trouble for sterilizing themselves

>> No.5346224
File: 2.72 MB, 4256x2832, tnk2120b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346200
Why not?

>>5346206
It is still fractal. If it were not for the definite size of a plant cell, the thing would keep iterating because it's not genetically programmed to stop.

>> No.5346227

>>5346206
Damn, you shouldn't drink that much PowerAspie.

>> No.5346238

>>5346224
>Why not?

What do you mean why not? Because physical structures have finite size ranges, for one thing.

>> No.5346268

www alchemylab com/golden_flower.htm

preserve your seed

>> No.5346271

Life - water = crystal

>> No.5346281

>>5346238
You're sure about that? The electron is finite in size?
My point is, all this self similar jazz is going on in the universe, so perhaps the existence of the universe is cyclic.

>> No.5346287

>>5346196

lol someone actually asks him about that in the Q&A afterwards.

>> No.5346288
File: 994 KB, 232x227, 1336188653099.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5346281
Captcha ate .gif

>> No.5346296

Ever notice how futurists like Kurzweil seem to predict that immortality will be a reality just before the actuarial tables say they will die? No one ever says it's 100 years off. It's always 30, 40, or 50 years away, depending on the age of the person making the prediction.

>> No.5347345

The universe has always existed, because by definition nothing does not exist and can't do anything. It's a modal concept.

Anyways, lets say you have a chess board (the universe) and you know how the pieces move around (mathematical relationships). Eventually you will execute every move (as the probability of any possible event occurring reaches 1 over time).

Eventually you'll be sitting here, reading this message board, and have no clue whether you're the first "you" or another "you". You certainly don't remember what you were before you were born, so you should probably not stress too much of your impending demise, you as a part of the universe, will be recycled.

From star dust to Earth dust, it'll continue to happen as the universe does its own thing.

I wouldn't want to live forever, I'm already living forever, my atoms just take a different form every now and then. The cool part is that I'm literally the universe witnessing itself

>> No.5347622

>>5347345
Are 'similar' versions of me experiencing time together, once; or once, repeatedly?
I like to think that if time was cyclic, periodic points in time would be experienced only once. The concept of living my life infinitely is kind of nauseating.

>> No.5347651

>>5346288
The fuck? Is this what a lightning bolt looks like at low speed? Jesus fuck

>> No.5347660

>>5346036
Why would you want to live forever? What the fuck is WRONG with you?

>> No.5347684

>>5346036
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ching-Yuen
This individual is one of the few have been achieved a "long-time-lifespan" of our current time.
Also if you want to live a long life then do it. fuck those who doesnt want it.

>> No.5347696

1. Science
If there's a way to prevent dying, or let's say to prevent ageing, then someone already sold that trick to powerful ruler / drug lord / rich people for money, or power.

Since all king / dictator / president / drug lord aged and died, then such a thing isn't exist, yet.

>> No.5347724

2. Magic
If it's possible to transfer your "soul" to another, then paranormal / shaman / whatever probably transfer his soul to worthy successor that can inherit all of his money easily via legal way, probably his kid.

This will obviously cause confusion for his kid's friend since he doesn't have his kid's memory, but I don't see such a thing happen in news.

>> No.5347729

>>5347724
implying im a shaman/magician,etc. and if its possible, i would not tell everyone about such kind of knowledge.

>> No.5347737

>>5347729
Yes, you need to tell it to someone.

You'll need to check if the soul transfer magic is real or not. Who knows if it's actually a troll instruction, or your "magic power" is not enough, etc.
So you need someone with same enthusiast, preferably old shaman to do that before your eyes to another people.

Because if it's fake, you'll need to do another research.

>> No.5347740

>>5347737
what i mean its a little edgy but just think about it.
assuming that I know the secret of "long life", I would not let anyone have access to that knowledge, just imagine the horrible consequences of immoral someone had "eternal life / long"

>> No.5347745

There is no reason to fear something you will never be. When you die, you will cease to be.

I do understand the frustration of not knowing humanity's future and its fate, but like the Japanese say, it can't be helped.

And yeah, life extension will most likely not be available in our life time, and if it does happen, it will be towards the tail end of our lives and it will almost certainly only be available to the rich elite.

Just focus on living on living your life.

>> No.5347773

>>5347745
>There is no reason to fear something you will never be

The fear is the end of you.
The fear isn't about you "becoming" something unknowable, it's simply about YOU ending, forever.

You know this fear, imagine if someone was chasing you around with a knife + gun trying to kill you, you'd be very afraid

>> No.5347813

>>5347345

Ok you just went full retard in that post.

There's no 'you', stop talking like 'you' existed before you we're born. What 'you' perceive as you is a result of electrical and chemical processes in your brain.

It's not your atoms, stop thinking you're significant and special.

Autism lvl 100

>> No.5347856

Who the fuck would want to live forever? do you realise how boring that would be?

>> No.5347865

>>5347856
You can always suicide if you get too tired of living at some point.

>> No.5347880

I'd prefer to live forever than face the unknown of death. Death is uncertainty and logical people hate the uncertain.

>> No.5347904

>>5346134
If we assume that this theory is in fact true, it won't make any difference in our lives.

Every reincarnation of us is reborn with the idea that it will die someday. Even if this reincarnation will learn of this idea, it will not make a difference to us, for every life will be the same.

>> No.5347906

>>5347880
LIFE is uncertainty! you can try to control every single aspect of your life but at the end of the day it always happen that something unplanned happens. LIFE sucks for it is undetermined from our human perspective. Also what is there after death you shouldn't care too much...let's assume the crazy and unlogical idea that we have a soul or something that last after death: it will be in a form different from anything we know (otherwise we could interact with dead people...) and we will also experience the world or the afterlife in a different way that basically it is so different that makes death a sure thing. Everything will change and you will also change. After the change you'd probably won't know what was before because your life and memories are sored as a chemical and physical configuration on an organic substrate that will rotten and be eaten by nematodes, bacteria fungi. But beside this...there is no such a thing as afterlife simply because our mind or soul isn't sepaarated fro the organic substrate of our brain. It is only emergent from it.

>> No.5347935

>>5346036
>scary idea of dying
I find it more scary to live forever indefinitely trapped in a human body, the human body is so limited to what the brain could achieve, living forever would be torturing.