[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 30 KB, 465x599, Aphex+Twin+Promo+picture+Higher+resolutio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5343802 No.5343802 [Reply] [Original]

So we all know Charles Petzold's "Programming for Windows" is the book to turn to for everything Win32. But what about the Linux/Unix APIs? I know literally nothing about them, and would like to get started working with them. What's the definitive resource for Linux/Unix API programming?

>> No.5343950

The man pages, really. (The official POSIX documentation is also published by the Open Group; I refer to it often.)

For GUI programming specifically, Gtk+ is the canonical toolkit for Linux; it has online documentation, but I don't know anything about unofficial introductions to it -- I had to get thrown in the deep end. Fortunately the deep end of Gtk+ isn't as deep as the deep end of Win32, partly because because the Gtk folks can actually say "fuck you, this is _going away_, so stop fucking using it".

X11 and Xt have books about them, but they're all very old -- if you're programming directly against X11 in 2012 you need to seriously reflect on your life choices, and if you're programming against Xt in 2012 just kill yourself with a gun instead, it'll be less painful.