[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 532 KB, 1280x1378, 1354510519417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5322771 No.5322771 [Reply] [Original]

How did you force yourself to study for long periods of time for hours a day without procrastinating? do you think its something anyone can learn to do or is it a result of the way you are raised?

>> No.5322775

Take dopamine and force yourself to study

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2012/11/uconn-researcher-dopamine-not-about-pleasure-anymore/

>> No.5322779

Interest. You must have an upmost interest in a subject to study for long hours. With enough interest and without social distractions, you can study for weeks without interruption. And in extreme cases, years-decades.

You must find something that is interesting in your field of study.

>> No.5322786

It's a form of ADD where you hyper-focus. You forget to eat. You study until you understand. You have a psychopathic need to master the topic.
It's not healthy.

>> No.5322794

>>5322786

yeah that I want that.

>> No.5322798

If it doesn't come naturally, you can take a shit ton of meth.

>> No.5322801

>>5322786
Actually it is healthy. Its healthy because it emphasizes long term gains over short term gains. Its healthy in a way that smart people will see as healthy, but not retards and normal people. Just as normal/retards say its a waste of money to invest money in space program, so too do they also say its "not healthy" to invest time in your studies.

tl;dr don't listen to the retards saying its not healthy to study for lengthy amounts of time

>> No.5322810

Fuck.

Pauli and Heisenberg look so fucking boss in that picture. Jesus Christ.

>> No.5322819

>>5322801

you could be playing video games for lengthy amounts of time and produce nothing. I guess people think of long study as unhealthy because we don't consider it to be fun, but most healthy things aren't fun.

>> No.5322848

>>5322801
I was referring to not eating. And that bit about delayed gratification is a load. It is immensely gratifying to understand something so completely.

>> No.5322877

>>5322848

I wish I had no appetite. its very hard to starve in America. plus I have to take corticosteroids so this may be beneficial to me.

wow it may be very beneficial to become a workaholic in my case.

>> No.5322884

>>5322786
>implying add is real

>> No.5322937

The US is a weird place. If you like to do something, and you are good at it, and it's sufficiently unique, you can make a living at it. There is some kind of critical mass that hasn't been achieved elsewhere to the same extent. Look at the whole software industry. I knew a guy in the 1980's who wrote a DOS baseball game program for the PC and lived off it for years. At that time, no one had a computer. He just invested a couple of weeks of his time to write this thing, purely for the love of coding (basic in this case) and scored because no one thought it would sell. There is a guy in my town who makes his own chocolate bars. He loves to bake and just decided to try it. You can buy his chocolate at Whole Foods.

>> No.5323002

I'm on /sci/ because I am, in fact, procrastinating.
I think you should ask somewhere else to be honest.

>> No.5323022

>>5223937
cont.
I know another guy who is the world expert at the effects of radiation on IC's, And Feynman even alluded to this in his Nobel speach - about being an expert at something no one else does but that is interesting to you. Von Neumann once said he wasn't that smart, ( a humble statement to be sure) just persistent: He would stick with a problem long after others would give up. That ability to stay with a problem until you have solved it or proven it to be unsolvable is just as important as IQ. You should be just fine, as long as you pick something you love.

>> No.5323015

>>5322884
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicalization

>> No.5323051

>>5323015
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicalization
>The concept of medicalization was devised by sociologists to explain how medical knowledge is applied to behaviors which are not self-evidently medical or biological.
nope.avi

>> No.5323052

>>5322775
I can back this up with an anecdote. I had to write a poem for my mythology class. Longest paper of the semester (7 pages lel). I couldn't type a single letter all the week before it was due. Then, the day of, with only hours to go, I combined the thrill of an impending deadline with massive amounts of caffeine and face-melting drum and bass and banged out a creation myth for the party island of Ibiza finishing minutes before class. My keyboard sounded like a machine gun! Ratatatata! Ratatat! Good times.
It's easy for me to study sciences and philosophy, because that's the stuff I study in my free-time anyway, but gen ed classes require a little more stimulation.
It's why they give kids amphetamine. School is boring, but everything is exciting when you're on drugs!
Fucking stupid culture I live in.

>> No.5323060

Discipline is a habit. Make calculated decisions and stop yourself when you're making a decision based on emotion or impulse. Nobody has problems assessing priorities in life. It's the self control to stop yourself that separates the α from the ω.

>> No.5323068

>>5322771
I'm interested in learning and understanding so when I start studying the drive to continue comes by itsself.
Sometimes I don't get the same drive and then I either do something else for a while, like play a game or something or I just continue studying because it's important.
Depends on the goal really.
If I have an exam I'll study as much as I can throughout the year, meaning I take every opportunity I have to study and consider if this is something I am up to in that moment, then right before the exam I just cram as much as possible.
Usually I only cram as much as possible the day before important exams or exams which I don't care about and have therefore not studied over the school year.
Coffee helps keep me focused but setting a goal to work towards is really the best thing. It gives me some motivation.
Plus the feeling of superiority or achievement when you understand something new, in regards to mathematics specifically, is always awesome.
Not superiority like I lord it over people, but it feels good to know that I dedicated myself to learning a difficult concept and I finally got it.
You know?

As for subjects where there is alot of facts to memorize, I just think about the work that has been put into discovering these things and the fact that most information can come in handy later on.
That way you also open for the possibility of at some point down the line being in a situation where it comes in handy and you get that good feeling you get when you just knew something. You didn't have to guess or assume. You knew.

I dunno. It's alot about the little joys I guess.

>> No.5323076

>>5323051
B-b-but my scientific method!

>> No.5323122

Everyone look at this picture. Don't think about the history or the accomplishments.

Just contemplate the sum IQ of this group. It's roughly a Q.

>> No.5323126

>>5322771
Do you really think that anyone on 4chan is going to give you good advice on self-discipline?

Seriously, draw from a deeper well.

>> No.5323130

>>5322810
Not as much as Shrödinger.

>> No.5323145

if you have the concept of discipline in mind, then you aren't interested in what you wish to do.

Listen guys, if you don't love, LOVE your subject with passion, you hardly archive anything. It doesn't matter you have a phd or 300k starting, when you get old and look back, you will just butthurt about how stupid your life is.

>> No.5323148

>>5323145
Love isn't a static phenomena. People's love change over time, who's to say forced disciple won't induce love? Who's to say love of subject wont become hate?

>> No.5323156

>>5323148
This is true. I have forced myself to study certain topics and turn out to enjoy it (after a while). But there's a long period of agony—that may recur—that few people will get through.

>> No.5323166

>>5323022
second. the desire to solve a problem will drive you if the willingness to answer it correctly is strong enough.

>> No.5323169

>>5323148
no one, or say, you never know nothing.
I can't deny the discipline to nonexistence, just don't get dull on it,
i'm worried one will get lost easily for some stupid things.

>> No.5323207

I'm the type of person that gets really fucking irritated if I don't understand something.
I'm also incredibly stubborn, so I literally just sit there for 5/6 hours and think about it and play around with it on paper until I have that "Ohhh, so that's why" moment and can work through the entire thing.

>> No.5323212

>>5323207
This is why you work on multiple different projects at a time. Atleast to me, when I get stuck on one project I move my focus to another. Doing this, I waste no time in what I do, eventually during the process of working on another project, I figure out my original problem and then move back to it

>> No.5323216

>>5322771
>How did you force yourself to study for long periods of time for hours a day without procrastinating?

Go back in time when the only entertainment was hitting a ball with a stick.

Sorry but with our technology and distractions our society will never have another great scientist. No exceptions.

>> No.5323222
File: 27 KB, 500x359, obsessiondedication.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who needs discipline when you can have dedication instead?

>> No.5323231

>>5322771
>only one woman

>> No.5323233

>>5323212

I don't prefer multitasking when trying to build conceptual understandings.
For problem sets yea, I put it down and come back to it the next morning. For learning a concept that I know how to apply, but don't understand it deep enough? Obsessive immersion

>> No.5323239
File: 1.29 MB, 2126x1397, science.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fixed that for you

>> No.5323241

>>5323216
but still, there're many fortunate being on earth
i think it's because science finally spread and gain some respect everywhere,
there're just too many great scientists these days

>> No.5323358

>>5323239
What happened to their faces?

>> No.5323365

>>5323358
someone did a little mix-n-match job

>> No.5323391

>Implying we did

>> No.5323421

Artfag here, I took Speed to try and make myself focus hard on a piece of work I had to do for someone. They wanted The Last Supper but with himself as Jesus and his friend's/family as the others.

I worked on it for about 4 hours, before really noticing what I was doing - I had spent the entire time doing his lips, eyes and hair.

>> No.5323445

Almost nobody drills themselves for hours doing things they don't like in the vain hope of achieving some enlightenment one day. All those efforst are doomed to fail.

Genius comes from someone's natural love of the work and study of the subject. They don't spend all those hours studying and working to reach something, they are doing they studying and work because they intrinsically enjoy it.

>> No.5323484

wud fuq Pauli

>> No.5323491

>>5323239
Should have changed their names too. Albert Einston. Mme Curby.

>> No.5323526

>>5323445
Wrong, naive, and wrong.

>> No.5323529

>>5322771
I taught myself to after almost failing out of college my freshman semester and losing all my financial aid. My family doesn't have the funds to send me to college so I rely entirely on grants and Scholarships.

I was lazy because I was a horrible slacker/stoner in high school, and didn't really give a shit about grades because I knew I wouldn't have a problem getting into college as long as I graduated. The only problem was it made me extremely lazy, so I had to basically just tell myself that if I didn't get my shit in gear I would end up working at a factory in my rural hometown until the day I die like my father had to.

I think it's partially due to my childhood, and the nature of how I was raised. But I basically had to raise myself because of family crisis. My parents were there to support me, and let me know I had to go to college if I didn't want to hate my life. But I just couldn't see them because one was always in the hospital, and the other was always working all day or visiting the other.

I feel like it can be self taught, but you have to want it (and have motivation).

>> No.5323557

>>5323526
Explain

>> No.5323899

I seriously doubt many people like reading long articles or doing hard math problems for hours on end. I see stuff like that as part of the job. my friend is about to get his physics degree and he says the work is pretty horrible a lot of the time.

>> No.5323913

>>5323526

No, I'd say you're wrong, buddy.

>> No.5325014

>>5323899
>I seriously doubt many people like reading long articles or doing hard math problems for hours on end.
Pure science is not something like an average Joe can take easily
I believe it's not the case,
they hated study probably because there's little flexibility on what they have to study, together with the workload it really irritates people a lot.

>> No.5326745

>>5322819
nobody thinks playing games for hours is healthy any kind of excessive kind of activity is not healthy

>> No.5326774

>>5323231
check ur privilege