[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 137 KB, 1707x999, calculus2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5306334 No.5306334 [Reply] [Original]

Hi there /sci/

What maths should I know before I tackle Calculus? (Basically the prerequisites)

>> No.5306336

Algebra and Trigonometry mostly.

>> No.5306340

>>5306336

How much of algebra and trigonometry should I know? Common knowledge or deeper?

>> No.5306342

algebra, trig functions. the hard part about calculus isn't the actual study of calculus, but rather having a very solid understanding of linear algebra and trig functions and when you would actually apply calculus in real situations.

>> No.5306344

>>5306342

Ahhh ok. Thank you.

>> No.5306345

>>5306340
google "khan academy". will teach you everything about anything, including trig/precalculus

>> No.5306347

>>5306345
>google "khan academy"

Great idea. Loves the khan academy. I'll take a look

>> No.5306349

there are no prerequisites.

everything you need to know is covered in the first chapter of any calculus book. For example;

a<b => a+c<b+c
a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c

>> No.5306350

>>5306347
The trig lessons there are easy, as with the algebra, but review them maybe 5 times in total because then when you take the precal and eventually cal course it makes it so fucking easy.

>> No.5306351

Make sure you understand trigonometry, logarithms, exponential functions in particular. They're not exactly central to calculus, but from what I've seen, it seems that people rarely have a solid understanding of these things, and books/teachers will assume you have this knowledge.

>> No.5306354

another approach might be to take a book for non-mathematicians, i.e. chemists or physicists, and learn from there; then in the next step take a book for mathematicians.

that way you'll get the basic ideas and deepen them, as well as fully understand them form the basics in the next step.

>> No.5306358

>>5306354

If there was an award for stupidest idea ever posted on /sci/, i'd nominate you bro.

>> No.5306364

Everything you need to know about trigonometry is also covered in the first chapter of any introductory calculus book such as stewart's calculus and thomas' calculus.

The awesome thing about those 1500 page calculus books is that they are self contained. You need only the first chapter. I'm just repeating myself to be clear.

>> No.5306373

Calculus I --> Prerequisite = Algebra and Pre-Calculus
Calculus II --> Physics I and Calculus I
Calculus III --> Physics II, Calculus II, and Linear Algebra

>> No.5306383

>>5306373
Why would you need physics for doing calculus?

>> No.5306387

>>5306373

Are you retarded? You need calculus for physics, not physics for calculus.

OP you should stray away from here, these people are fucking retarded.

>> No.5306392

>>5306334
If you can put the right shapes into their corresponding holes on a wooden box you're ready for calculus.

>> No.5306407

>>5306387
I was thinking the same thing. I'm minoring in math but my major isn't in a hard science and I was thought I gotta take physics now all of a sudden?

>> No.5306416

>>5306407

I'm a math major and i've never taken a physics class in my life.

The only time physics would have MAYBE helped a marginal amount is in differential equations where applications are sometimes taken from physics. But those are only the babby intro examples and every physics term gets defined so you don't actually need to know what it means.

I've taken about 20 math classes so far and the only time I could have used physics (but it doesn't matter as in the example above as I still did better than physics majors in the subject) was in a couple examples of one section of one chapter of one class out of the approximately 20 classes i've taken.

>> No.5306501

>>5306387
>>5306407
I'm not the poster who claimed you need physics and I'm no american, so I don't know what's covered in your physics and calculus courses. In my experience I can confirm though that having taken a physics course can make it easier to grasp mathematical concepts. When Gauss' law or Stokes' theorem were taught in my analysis class, those who minored in physics already knew applications of them, while those minoring in other subjects were sometimes lacking the intuition.