[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 194 KB, 620x350, 60_minutes_Jake_Barnett_620_120113_1_620x350.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5305677 No.5305677 [Reply] [Original]

What is autism? Isn't it just free think? Thinking out side the box? I was just talking with someone that was autistic and beside having to phrase my sentence he was pretty normal to me. So why is it so wrong to be autistic? Why does the media display autism as being something bad?

>> No.5305684

>>5305677
>Thinking out side the box?

It's the exact opposite of that, actually.

>> No.5305686

I have an autistic cousin.
Shes about 14 now, and has the mental capacity of a 4 year old.
There are differing degrees of autism. Some are not so bad, while others are devastating.
The Jacob kid you posted has Aspergers.
It is a form of autism, but to me, when somebody says "autism" I think of a drooling shell of a person.

>> No.5305691

>>5305686
>Television told me when somebody says "autism" I think of a drooling shell of a person.

>> No.5305696

>>5305691
More like seeing my cousin at thanksgiving, and watching her drool..

>> No.5305698

>What is autism? Isn't it just free think? Thinking out side the box?
No.
Not at all. Not even slightly close.
>>5305684
This.

>> No.5305701

>>5305691

> when somebody says 'autism' I think of the guy who almost cut off my fingers in grade 8 shop class

>> No.5305739

>>5305677
>What is autism
/r9k/

>> No.5305988

You'd be better off asking (b^v), methinks. What made you even think of this place? I mean, I know this autistic guy, and like the poster above me said, he has the mental capacity of a child. But yeah, you'll be better off asking /v/, because trust me, that's where they all are.

>> No.5306033

Autistic people lack a fully developed theory of mind. This causes them to be unable to fully take into account the diversity of actions that humans and other complex things can take.

In essence, autism is narcissism so complete, that nothing outside of the autist's mind exists. This causes them to be completely unable to compete in any way with normal people, save for a few rote-like tricks that they repeat over and over again (If even that).

All of this dooms them to a depressing, empty life with no feeling of connection with anything other then their own head.

That's what's wrong with autism. Of course, you're probably only referring to Aspergers, which is basically autism lite. In that case, people with Aspergers may actually be able to compete if given proper education since they tend to have fully functional minds which can learn emulate the complex responses necessary to survive on their own.

>> No.5306064

>>5306033
You shouldn't be here...
Go watch another documentary on fox news or BBC, please.
What you are talking about may be those 1% hardcore autists that need help with anything that isn't on their routine, but those are exceptions.

>> No.5306065

I think it's a myth that autistics lack a theory of mind, I think they just reject the effects of developing a theory of mind. So the cognitive and social effects are just the result of their adaptation against having a theory of mind.

And of course, this extreme strategy of adaptation can lead to many extreme outcomes, both in cognitive excellence and in cognitive delay. It's the affective side which determines both, not the cognitive one.

>> No.5306095

What is autism?
A pervasive developmental disorder in which individuals display aversion to spontaneity, an appreciation for inanimate objects and routine, a lack of social and communicative skills and a genuine, intuitive concern for others. Low functioning autists are basically vegetables, higher functioning ones can manage in regular society but still struggle at times with shit (like traffic noise or saying inappropriate shit)

> Isn't it just free think? Thinking out side the box?
Sometimes you get austistic genuises, but no, this is not always the case. Often it's the very opposite.

>So why is it so wrong to be autistic?
It's not really "wrong", just burdensome at the best of times. Unless you're the kind of aspie who lurks /r9k/ or /pol/, in which case you're basically an incontrovertible asshole.

Why does the media display autism as being something bad?
Since when? Generally it's perceived as, not something positive, but it's nothing to be ashamed of.

>> No.5306100

>>5305677
Well, then he wasn't very autistic. In fact, he might not've been autistic at all, and just diagnosed with a very mild autism spectrum disorder, i.e. Asperger's, because he is a little shy.

Honestly, all these sort-of awkward/shy shitbags that are getting diagnosed with "mild Asperger's" are really obfuscating the whole austism thing, and confusing the public perception of the disorder.

>> No.5306107

>Isn't it just free think? Thinking out side the box?
Good one.

>> No.5306116

>>5306064
HOLD THE FUCK UP
I thought the BBC literally shat 'equality', unless it's a different BBC.

>> No.5306124

My job consists of watching my 9 year old autistic cousin. I am actaully about to go back to his house to get him off the bus. I would consider him high functioning, although he does not have aspergers. He can communicate in only the most basic forms of language although he can spell really well. His sentences are fragments, because he's realized he can communicate his needs with the fewest amount of words possible. Since I can deduce that "Go walmart" means, "I want to go to walmart." then why should he have to say all that. The most remarkable thing to me is the fact that his sense of humor is no different than that of a normal child. If you fall he will laugh. Pretty much any situational humor he finds very amusing. If you have any more questions just ask.

>> No.5306139

>>5306064

>>You shouldn't be here...

You have no right to tell me that. Kindly fuck off if what I'm saying makes your pussy bleed.

>>Go watch another documentary on fox news or BBC, please.

I have Aspergers. I described my symptoms. Why don't you go watch another, maybe you'll get better at insulting people.

>>What you are talking about may be those 1% hardcore autists that need help with anything that isn't on their routine, but those are exceptions.

No, all autists lack a theory of mind. It's the principle trait. Even the ones that seem completely normal. They fundamentally lack the mental architecture to connect with the external world.

>> No.5306143

>>5306124
If it is your job to look after him, then tell me: Does he sometimes hit himself?

>> No.5306158

>>5306124
More info, symptoms, etc.

To what extent does he realize he's different?
The decision to cut the sentences to the bare minimum - was it conscious? Have you talked about why that might not be a good idea with him?
Do you generally talk to him about his symptoms, or do you just take care of him?
How does he deal with other kids?

I'm asking because I have a 9 year old sister. Not autistic though, I just want to compare. I'm interested in this whole autism thing too, so if anyone has any good resources, please feel free to post them.

>> No.5306167

>>5306139
>No, all autists lack a theory of mind. It's the principle trait. Even the ones that seem completely normal. They fundamentally lack the mental architecture to connect with the external world.
Data?

>> No.5306209

>>5306167

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind

It's in the first paragraph: "Deficits occur in people with autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder,[2] as well as neurotoxicity due to alcohol abuse."

>> No.5306211

what if Jacob and Daniella Titan had a baby?

>> No.5306276

>>5306143
Yes, he will smack his head when he is very frustrated. With force too. Sometimes I have to restrain his hands to keep him from doing it. It's very frustrating for me as well. I don't want to have to grab him with force at all, but him getting mad at me for holding him is I think better than him repeatedly hitting himself. I could be wrong though. I don't pretend to be a professional, nor do I understand what he is thinking or why he does certain things.

>> No.5306277
File: 3 KB, 126x126, billnyethatswrong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In the past year or two the word autism has become sort of a meme insult on 4chan and other places, but the vast majority of people using the word as an insult haven't a clue as to what autism actually is. It annoys the fuck out of me to be honest the way people misuse the word.

>> No.5306295

>>5306158
To be honest, I don't think he realizes anything. He doesn't really care more to the point. He lives in the moment and is little concerned with much else than what he feels minute to minute.

>
The decision to cut the sentences to the bare minimum - was it conscious? Have you talked about why that might not be a good idea with him?

It's not so much a decision as much as his lack of being able to communicate properly. Now while I and my family do feel a certain amount of responsibility for his short sentences, it's not as if he could even write a sentence if we tried to get him to communicate better. Basically linguistic communication just escapes him as with most autistic cases.

>Do you generally talk to him about his symptoms, or do you just take care of him?

He doesn't have aspergers and even though I said he was high functioning, he isn't able to think about himself or any of the things he does. For instance, pretty much on a weekly bases he will cry for seemingly no reason. If you ask him why he's crying he won't answer usually. In fact most questions he will not answer. If you ask him how his day went he will not answer. I'm good a figuring out why he is upset usually.

>How does he deal with other kids?

The same as he deals with most everything. Ingores it until it either becomes a problem or has/is something he wants.There are specific people he does like and will give them special attention like his father, or his speech therapy clinitians. But kids mostly do not hold his attention for more than a few seconds unless they piss him off.

>> No.5306308

>>5306277
I have autism but I use autism as an insult on 4chan. People take it way too seriously and get offended by it. It's quite funny.

>> No.5306310

>>5306277
shut up you autistic faggot, stop spitting irony into this discussion

>> No.5306315

>>5306158
autist here. Since I'm not too extreme I don't have most of the symtoms listed here but I also cut sentences whenever I could as a child.
I can't really explain why, it's just that talking is so annoying to me. Even now I prefer to write something on a piece of paper than actually saying it, althought that's not very practical of course.

>> No.5306322

watch the louis theroux documentary on autism

>> No.5306386

>>5306033
I don't really know much about autism, but your first two lines sound right from my experience with those with autism until

>This causes them to be completely unable to compete in any way with normal people, save for a few rote-like tricks that they repeat over and over again (If even that).

Could you explain how this a result of the preceding statements?

>> No.5306492

Sorry but couldn't autism be described as an extremel form of dislexia? Just occuring in more frequency & diversity in the brain?
Why do we think we can talk about the brain when we've only in the last few months relized the base matrixes it functions on? Ref The Brain mag.
Any neuro scis around?

>> No.5306533

Autists are just people too stupid to realize the benefits of social human interaction.

That's why it's a spectrum...

>> No.5307291

>>5306386

They have very ridged minds and strategies, which almost never change and not without great effort.

Subsequently, it takes them longer to form sentences, learn new math, navigate complex physical environments, etc. That is if they're able to do so at all.

With training, this can be somewhat surmounted, allowing for jobs, social relationships, and all the normal features of life, but an autistic is always going to preform worse in general then the average person since their minds simply aren't agile enough for the real physical world.

>> No.5307301

My ex-gf has a good friend that is autistic.

He's a good kid, bikes, runs, exercises, goes to college, has a good vision, but..

HE IS SO FUCKING SOCIALLY AWKWARD.

He would show up at our apartment looking for my gf (which I had no problem with), but if my gf was at work, the convo would go down like this:

Him: "Hey, is [GF] here?"
Me: "Nope, sorry man, she's at work."
Him: "Oh, okay."
Him: [Proceed to stand there motionless until instructed to do otherwise or until someone else spoke.]
Me: "So, what's up?"
Him: [Some elaborate intricate facts about Tupac, anime, bike spokes, telescopes, or blood samples.]
Me: "Cool...wanna just hang here until [GF] gets back?"
Him: "OKAY"
Him: [Proceeds to sit on couch motionless unless interacted with until GF got home.]

They're like voice-activated machines.

I'm sorry. That's mean, and he's cool, but it's eccentric. I am indeed envious in some ways, but yeah.

>> No.5307302

Autism is some real shit.

Aspergers is just annoying to everyone interacts with an Aspie.

I know they can't help it, but their fucking lack of social awareness is angering.