[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 203x360, healing-mouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5286260 No.5286260 [Reply] [Original]

So since 1998, the MRL mice were accidentally found to have regenerative abilities unlike any other mammal.

Does anyone know what impact this had in the scholarly world? I imagine it was big news back then?

What about the fact that we found African spiny mouse that can completely regenerate their skin recently?

How close are we to achieving limb regeneration in mice?

>> No.5286269

>>5286260
>How close are we to achieving limb regeneration in mice?

This is not a thing

We already have that, much more efficient, in humans. They're called pluripotent stem cells, and if it weren't for religion and outdated ethics we'd be growing organs in labs by batches and living to 150+

>> No.5286328

>>5286269
wait what

Are the ethics restricting the ability to regeneration, or the straightforward research to gain the ability to?

do you know of any particular names I could use to search for scientific articles to see for myself?

>> No.5286343

>>5286328
How could ethics ever influence a physiological reaction?

>> No.5286369

>>5286343
so we can regenerate limbs now?

I understand using stem cells for treatments on heart, spine, ear .etc but regenerating a limb?

>> No.5286572

>>5286369
inside the human body can be found stem cells, which are widely recognised to have the ability to help develop organs in a laboratory thanks to genetic modifications which determine what type of cell you those stem cells will "specialize" in (some might become muscular tissue while others may become face skin or whatever else).

The research in that field is being held back everywhere because of the ethical implications : in the best of cases people are afraid that limb traffic may become increasingly prevalent and become controlled by huge companies, but in some cases it's as retarded as people just not wanting anyone to get an abortion whatever their situation may be.

I think most scientists think that if we did research on that we could heal many diseases which are now incurable (multiple sclerosis and some cancers being only a few examples). Not to mention all the people who need a new liver or heart or whatever.

It's bound to happen someday, and it's not risk free on an ethical level, but the rewards are too great to ignore

>> No.5286583
File: 47 KB, 419x333, 1281216031139.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Looks like someone downloaded the new spider man movies and did 30 secs of googling

>> No.5286591

>>5286572
How could cancer be cured with stem cells?

>> No.5286653

Earring holes in humans close up if you leave the earring out long enough
No big deal

>> No.5286664

>>5286653

Yea, with shit-tier granulated tissue. These mice heal with real flesh, indistinguishable from the original tissue.

>> No.5286729

>>5286572
bullshit, some country on earth would be doing this research

>> No.5286796

>>5286729
none of the countries that are rich and technologically advanced enough are doing practical research on it, at least, not publicly. I mean if Obama said "let's do research on stem cells right away !", and god knows the us have enough money and the sufficient structures to do that, he'd have to face many unfavorable opinions, he'd have to run that through several constitutional instances, probably modify some laws or create new ones.

When I wrote the above post I thought someone would mention North Korea or something, but let's face it they've got much bigger problems to worry about than curing multiple sclerosis with stem cells. Now maybe China or even the US are actually doing secret research on it, but I haven't heard of that.

All I'm saying is, its likely to have a huge potential, and its a very controversial field of research for the ethical reasons I've described.

>> No.5286881

>>5286796
I'm sure china is doing work on it in secret

Perhaps Japan as well

>> No.5287220

>>5286796
You are the biggest retard I have seen in a while. Do a search on stem stell research on pub med and you'll see how stem cell research is one of the hottest areas of research these days. This years Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine went to researchers making pluripotent stem cells from fully differentiated cells, essentially removing the issue of harvesting them from enbryos. Not that we can make pluripotent stem cells from any cell the posibilities are endless and I assume we´ll se a lot of exciting stuff over the next years.