[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 47 KB, 640x600, universe.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5278019 No.5278019 [Reply] [Original]

There's been something bothering me recently.

How come wherever we look, there seems to be regularity in this Universe? From the smallest of scales to the greatest, virtually everything can be calculated using maths and it stays consistent. From the expansion of the whole universe to the quantum level.

It's as if the universe itself is rational, and as I said before, the values are cunningly consistent and devious with something we Humans made up (mathematics). It's also strange how Maths is the one area of study that is most likely to drive us to madness, despite it's influence on helping us learn about the universe and more.

If we look at the various fundamental constants of the universe, it's ridiculous how "fine tuned" everything is. Why do they have the values they have? If their value was ever so slightly different, we wouldn't be around. Take for example the strong interaction. If it was slightly stronger, stars wouldn't exist or not for very long. If they were slightly weaker, it'd ultimately be too weak to hold together elements including the essential isotope Deuterium. This doesn't apply to just the fundamental constants but many other constants too which govern the laws of the universe to fantastic accuracy.

We're also now advancing far past the sense of our own logic - You only just have to check out the advancements made in quantum mechanics. Really, it doesn't make sense thinking about it logically and that's understandable. We, as Humans, find it difficult to comprehend to that which we can't relate to. But, quantum mechanics and the mathematical formulas behind it is still completely rational which I personally find absolutely amazing. Maths makes sense far above and beyond our own sense of logic.

>> No.5278024
File: 91 KB, 474x458, 1544956505290.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5278019

That just brings me to the following question: Is this really all just a coincidence? The universe, something which is inanimate, appears to be rational and to levels beyond Human logic but can be tried and confirmed with Mathematics - Which is something we Humans created and developed.

What does /sci/ think of an intelligent design? Is there actually a God that created this universe himself? I'm not necessarily talking about the God that has been made "humanised" in religious faith (I'm not religious, in case your wondering). I'm thinking of a self-aware being that's unbound by the laws of this universe and is on the verge of the ineffable and incomprehensible. A being which operates on reasoning and logic that vastly surpasses our own.

>> No.5278045

The universe isn't built and tuned around you. You're built around the universe and it's constants, values, laws, etc.

>> No.5278054

We didn't "create" math and then "discover" that it described the universe well, we built math to describe the universe.

>> No.5278063

>>5278054
We "built" math. Hokay.

We start with a few statements that are assumed to be true because they appear so self-evident, and discover that we end up with an entire branch of mathematics. We don't know the ramifications of our axiomatic system when the axioms are first put into place. We see where they lead us.

>> No.5278074

You know, I've thought about that a lot as well. One possible explanation is that it could be like the n-ray experiments in France, where the physicists were looking so hard for something new that they thought it was there. When they showed it to German scientists, they couldn't see it, because it wasn't actually there, and they didn't want it to be there, while all the French scientists "saw" it because it gave them hope. Similarly, you only see the scientific community picking up on these patterns and order in what seems like a chaotic Universe, because they want it so badly that they find it, while a uber-religious and anti-scientific community and may not "see" these patterns because to them, it is like the enemy making progress.

>> No.5278081

I fucking hate this board so much

>> No.5278086

>>5278019
The universe is chaotic when you look at it in its entirity. When you see order is when you look at specific parts of the universe you can see order and patterns, but overall it is a massive scramble of all of these patterns and a lot of chaos.

>> No.5278090

So far as we can see the universe is geometric. If you ask why is it so, there may not be an answer not if physics continues the way it is. How could a universe which is purely geometric exist some other way? In human terms that's an easy question to ask but not for the universe. It's like asking why were you born in your body, why do you live your life? You just do, and the universe just is.

>> No.5278100
File: 80 KB, 200x200, JonLajoie200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We think the universe is "fine-tuned" because a universe that did not fit specific criteria would not support life and thus would not have any observers. Anthropic principle is basic shit, you guys.
>5278054
exactly. math is a model.

>> No.5278110

There was this theory I read about a little while ago, which -in a nutshell- stated that the universe is purely mathematical, and that everything we see is a visual representation of the equations and such going on.

The OTHER theory I read was that we are living in some sort of computer simulation.

>> No.5278916
File: 82 KB, 544x400, 1324474700933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

thanks op. got me thinking a lot.