[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 487 KB, 512x510, NeurosynapticCores.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5277776 No.5277776 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm writing my first campaign for DnD, want a futuristic, cyberpunk feel but dont want to get bogged down in trite territory with the usual networking/nanotech/bioengineering/human augmentation stuff. What would /sci/ say is the most controversial emerging technology (within the next 50/100 years) that doesn't fall into any of the above categories

>> No.5277803

Fusion? Or are you looking for pure controversialism, then maybe space exploration and related technology, because some people question the utility of such machines.

>> No.5277884

>>5277803
how could you question the utility of space exploration? I mean, if we are to survive as a species surely we have to be able to get our selves into a situation where we don't really on the earth for our energy - Nice idea with the fusion thing tho, but I thought the main concern with this was the inherent safety questions that arise when you try to put a star in a box? Do you mean how a post scarcity society would work?

>> No.5277901

>DnD
>futuristic, cyberpunk
wut?

>> No.5277910

>>5277901
Seriously, play RIFTS instead.

>> No.5277932

>>5277884

It's a common belief that since fusion generates more energy than fusion, so it generates a safety issue. If something goes wrong, the fusion will simply cease happening, since it doesn't have the factors needed to keep going itself without outside help.
Not saying it's perfect either (since it generates a large amount of neutrons, for example) but the idea that fusion somehow inherits all of fission's issues taken to eleven just isn't correct.
That said, it is certainly contentious, since "nuclear" brings about concerns of its own; I'd say you should be able to work in conflicts between pro-Earth radicals who want to shut such plants down, having them contend with those who believe in nuclear power, or even having to fight with the government.

On another note, I don't question the value of space exploration. Far from it. But I know some people do.

>> No.5278010

>>5277932
>I'd say you should be able to work in conflicts between pro-Earth radicals who want to shut such plants down, having them contend with those who believe in nuclear power, or even having to fight with the government.

Nice suggestion man, a CND cyber warfare type deal could be interesting. Work on this has made me realize just how little originality is left in modern sci-fi

>> No.5278058

>>5278010
>Work on this has made me realize just how little originality is left in modern sci-fi

Don't give me that shit. A friendly fellow is misquoted as having said "Everything that can be invented has been invented". Even though that quote isn't real, that's basically what you're saying. Go read Alastair Reynolds' newest book or Paul McAuley's "Quiet War" if you truly think there is no new blood in science fiction.

>> No.5279315

>>5277901
Dare to be different