[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 250x250, 1350925295051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5266902 No.5266902 [Reply] [Original]

Chemical Engineering
Computer Engineering
Electrical/Electronics Engineering
Engineering Science/Physics
Mechanical Engineering

Why?

Please and Thank You

>> No.5266914

It's a little difficult to choose based simply on a list. You need to give us some more information.

What are your goals? Good job straight out of college? Go into research? Work in a cubical? Travel? Money? Teaching?

What do you find interesting?

>> No.5266922

Mechanical Engineering.

>> No.5266940

>What are your goals?
A good job doing something I'd like.
>Good job straight out of college?
The goal is a Master's, and I'm debating whether I should work for some time before gettng the Master's or just go straight into it.
>Go into research?
Some mix of research and application would be nice.
>Work in a cubical?
Probably not.
>Travel?
Not really.
>Money?
It's somthing to be considered, but the vast majority of areer paths from any of the items on the list will provide enough money.
>Teaching?
Nope.
>What do you find interesting?
I've managd to narrow it down to those five, so that's something. Really, if something existed that managed to tie in all five exists, that would be perfect, as I'm interested in the subjects of all five.

>> No.5266946

>>5266922
Why?

Unless
>huehuehue
means you are just trying to goad me into something /sci/ thinks is shit-tier.

>> No.5266970

i'm a chemical engineer sophomore. if you were like me, you have no idea what any specific discipline of engineering actually does.

i went out on a limb and just chose chemical because a) i am pretty decent at chemistry and b) i thought it was the closest thing to an applied physics degree i could get. i didn't know what cheme's did nor really look into it. now i realize what we do: we take chemistry experiments and transform them to a massive scale, with time and money (cost and profit) in mind.

like i said, if you were like me, you probably didn't truly realize this. you should sit down and figure out what exactly every major on that list does and then make your decision then (as opposed to having anonymous people on the internet decide for you).

>> No.5266991

If you have the grades to do those you may as well just do medicine.

>> No.5267011

>>5266991
I don't like medicine or biology.

>> No.5267045

Do you like working in a plant? Do you like looking at circuit diagrams? Do you like cars?

One of them should seem more interesting than you. You should research what the working environment for all of these. Protip, they pay well but all suck.

>> No.5267050

>>5266946
If you have no idea what you want to do, Mechanical is by far the most general.

>> No.5267148

>>5267045
From what I know, Mechaical is much more than just cars.

>> No.5267157

>>5267045

I'm in my first year of electronic engineering, how much does it actually suck?

>> No.5267184

>>5267050

In this day an age? I had the impression that EE was by far the most all encompassing.

>> No.5267201

There's even an agricultural engineering in my university
These people are really bored.

>> No.5267212
File: 330 KB, 1072x946, 1281 engineering.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5267216

>>5267212
>mech engineering shit tier

0/10 you didn't troll me

>> No.5267236

I am an EE, i wish i had chosen Civil Engineering.

>> No.5267254

>>5267212
>aerospace
>low tier

Have fun riding your horse and carriage across the ocean and living on Eath the rest of your life.

>> No.5267265

Computer Engineering is shit no jobs tier

>> No.5267271

>>5267212

Pretty much this. (Although the real answer is do what interests you.)

>> No.5267276

>>5266902
>Engineering Science/Physics

Do this because Physics is where shit is happening

>> No.5267287

>>5266970

agreed.

my cousin is actually a chemical engineer, he recently graduated from University of NSW, he loves his job. Apparently chemists hate chemical engineers particularly, because really, the can do everything that chemists can do.

only better :)

>>5267184

Disagree. Chemicals is were the action is, mate.

but then again, i'm doing a combined degree in law and social inquiry, so what would i know, right!?

>> No.5267288

>>5267276
Would the closest thing to the Chemistry equivalent of Engineering Physics be Chemical Engineering?

What's the difference between Engineering Physics and Engineering Science.

>> No.5267295

>>5267287
Tits or GTFO.

>> No.5267366

>>5267295

>>>/b/

im a guy. you wouldn't like them.

>> No.5267396

>>5266902
Seeing as nobody has tried how do we know you can't simply light Jupiter on fire?

>> No.5267404

What's the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science and Software Engineering?

Is Computer Engineering the creation of hardware and components? Seems like it overlaps with EE in that case.

>> No.5267407

>>5267404
Computer engineering and computer science overlap a lot. Software engineering is less theory and math.

>> No.5267436

>>5267404
It seems like there's a spectrum with electrical engineering on one end and computer science/software engineering on the other. Computer engineering is inbetween. Agreeing with >>5267407

>> No.5267445

>>5267436

Electrical engineering is itself a broad spectrum (no pun intended) from, basically, pure physics (very fundamental) to pure math (very abstract).

>> No.5267465

>>5267404
It's hard to honestly say. When I was doing my BSc. I went through school with a computer engineer and a computer science guy as informal acquaintances.
Ended up watching a football game with one and having a coffee with the other in the last couple months and when I asked them what kind of thing they do at work it was really pretty similar. Or at least it was similar to a guy who knows how to fix his computer but never programmed beyond pong.

The compE was programming apps for the apple store. He was essentially a consulting company of one, billing to a company that would tell him what kind of app they wanted.

The other has been putting databases together and writing organizational programs for a mining company.

From where I sit they sound like the same thing, but maybe someone with more interest/expertise can more readily tell them apart.

>> No.5267468

>>5267445
I meant what a university degree with that title basically entails, compared to the others. All four have a lot of overlap.

>> No.5267469
File: 246 KB, 1920x1200, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mechanical Engineering

Why? See picture.

>> No.5267472

chemical engineering for the DOSH

>> No.5267501
File: 396 KB, 1072x946, fixed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5267212
Fixed it for you.

Also, actually having looked at this list I have no idea what criteria these are organized by. I swear whoever made this has no idea what any of the disciplines actually do.

>> No.5267514

>>5267501
Why is Mechanical Engineering shit tier?

>> No.5267524

>>5267287
>Apparently chemists hate chemical engineers particularly, because really, the can do everything that chemists can do.
Chemist here, actually it's mostly just chemical engineers bragging about being capable of everything that chemists do and earning more. Most chemists really don't care all that much and just love their job, which IMO is 100 times better.

>> No.5267523

>>5267514
The whole order in general is messed up to the point of making no sense.

I just fixed god tier for him.

>> No.5267533

>>5266902
Personally, I'm an electrical engineering undergrad/bioengineering masters who researches in bioengineering (because bioengineering is a really crummy major as an undergrad-it's just premed with a better understanding of how systems function than, say, biology),
but, because what I do is extremely interdisciplinary, I'm surrounded by people from every discipline as an undergrad. Really, most engineering is interdisciplinary and just about ANY engineering undergrad degree can prepare you for a master's in any other field (well, i'm not counting civil/architectural, but you don't seem interested in that, anyway).

The whole idea of engineering, broadly, as opposed to a natural science like physics or just applied math, is that you take complex systems and reduce them to comprehensible models. General engineering is about building analogies that allow you to interpret any system:
represent constituent parts by differential equations to describe how they behave and view an entire system as an input and output signal.
Computer Engineering is a bit weaker in this regard, in that it deals more with digital components, which don't have mechanical analogs.

Mechanical systems is probably the broadest category. Engineering Physics, depending on which school you're at, will either focus more on the electrical or more on the mechanical side. I'd say, look into what exactly an engineering physics degree at your school entails (maybe copy and paste a course requirements list). If you really haven't made up your mind, major in that and then make up your mind for grad school. Oh, and take as much math as possible, because it's worth it—
Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, and Fourier Analysis (subset of partial differential equations, but notable in its own right) are the most important kinds of mathematics for most engineering, but, if you're REALLY into quantum, abstract algebra might be worth taking.

>> No.5267553

>>5267533
Those maths (except the quantum one) were all considered mandatory at my uni, so I would concur that if you have the choice of whether or not to take them then you really should invest the time OP.

Now that I practice I rarely use anything but fourier analysis, but it came in handy in general when I researched.

>> No.5267574

>>5267553
Typically, though, there's more levels of DifEQ and Linear Algebra than just the required ones. Also, Complex Analysis is rarely required here in the states.

At my school, the required math is as follows:
ME/ChemE:
Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, DiffEQ, Numerical Methods
EE/CE/Engineering Physics:
Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, DiffEQ (200 level), Probability and Stochastic Processes, and one of the following:
Linear Algebra, Advanced Calc, DifEQ(400 level), PDEs(400 level), Numerical Analysis

>> No.5267627

I chose civil because it was the fastest, easiest, and most business like; it also had the most normal students.

Most people decide during physics. When you do labs you will like one more than the others.

>> No.5268201

>>5267627
So, in Physics, there are different labs, each with a focus that relates to Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical Engineering? Would Engineering Physics have aspects from all three, plus more Physics?

>> No.5268221

>>5268201

I'm in first year physics, and the only labs we're doing are ones that pertain to what we're learning in the course, ie. Conservation of Energy, Hooke's Law, Circular Motion and etc.

I have no idea what the other guy is talking about.

Our engineering program has an 'introduction to Engineering' course which is worth one credit only, I'm guessing that'll help us decide. I'm not really sure, though.

>> No.5268259

At this moment studying aerospace engineer, really enjoying my study, i would totally recomend you this, but ofcourse, if you dont have a thing with aerospace, then well dont do it.

>> No.5268328

Hey OP, at NC State they an entire class that goes through all the engineering majors offered at the University. I would check and see if they University you attend/wish to attend has one as well.

I'm not a student at NC State, but I will more than likely be attending next year!

>> No.5268414

Do you guys think it would be useful to minor in computer science if my major is mechanical engineering?

>> No.5268453

Mechanical engineering if you want to be designing the first interplanetary colony missions. Mech Eng will give you the background to specialize in almost every single part on the mission.

Low gravity waste water treatment and recycling plant - Mechanical engineers

Equipment/mechanisms/machines required to deliver a 100t payload of supplies to Mars surface - Mechanical engineers

Robotic plant machinery, deployable habitats and shelters, automatic life support and fuel production - Mechanical engineers

Sustainable energy and materials

etc etc etc

>> No.5268466 [DELETED] 

Putting environmental engineering on a shit tier is ridiculous, but everyone knows that ranking these is meaningless anyway.

>> No.5268472

Putting environmental engineering on a waste of life tier is ridiculous, but everyone knows that ranking these is meaningless anyway.

>> No.5268473

>>5268414

Yes it can be helpful. Most mechanical engineering courses will offer some level of computing courses. Computing is important and if you're interested in it then it can't hurt.

>>5267574

I have not heard of a ME course that does not require PDEs and linear algebra.

>> No.5268483 [DELETED] 

>>5267627

>civil engineers

>> No.5268486
File: 75 KB, 467x283, civil 002a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5267627

>civil engineers

>> No.5268496

>>5266902
It doesn't matter which one you choose.

They're all the same until your third year.

>> No.5268564

>>5267236
This is very relevant to me. Why?

>> No.5268570

ChemE: If you want money.

MechE: If you loved Physics 1.

>> No.5268577

>>5268496

Well, you're retarded.

>> No.5268945

>>5262925
Compare and contrast

>> No.5269039

>>5266902
Mechanical or Chemical are the most likely to get you a decent job.

>> No.5269653

>>5266902
ChemEng is shit. you will spend a few years working in some shitty plant in a shit area reading gauges surrounded by lowlife laborers..

>> No.5269691

If you will do nano-science , I recommend chemistry. I am mechanical Engineer myself. I want to start my own hi-tech company , but I have problem catching up with latest tech. I also advice you to get some Business Administration friends, learn from them or cooperate. That is the path to money through science. You could try "Breaking Bad" but you can make money by legal science too.

>> No.5269744

>>5269653
>not doing grad work then moving onto R&D

you can say the same with any fucking engineering stream. at least you're well compensated.

>> No.5269888

I would stay away from ElectEng unless you are really dedicated to it. It is a hard field and it is really easy to weed out the people who are just doing it for the money vs because they love it.

As an ElectEng you will often be working with other engineers so you will be expected to pick up things from the MechEng and the CompSci department. I have never worked on a project that did not have an ElectEng on assigned to it in some way. You need to design a board for the IT department to interface this with that, or you need to figure out controls for this mechanical design for the MechEng, or figure out how to automate a process for the ChemEng or create something that does X and write the firmware for it so that the CompSci guys could write an OS/Apps for it.

ElectEng is great for anyone who wants who loves to constantly learn new skills.

>> No.5271992

Bump

>> No.5272020
File: 5 KB, 219x218, giggle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Piggybacking on this thread

I want to get a job at an engineering firm (any one, as long as it involves designing shit), then proceed to start my own engineering firm that would be contracted to work on the space elevator.

Would Mechanical Engineering at least be a good jumping off point? I enjoy working with physics problems and such, but I wouldn't mind switching to something like Materials Engineering so I can work with carbon nanotubes.

>> No.5272038

I'm an EE, my advice is forget all of this and just go to Wall Street.

I swear most engineers don't notice that working in a operational role is low-tier. If you're good you end up managing people, if you love your major you do a PhD and engage in R&D.