[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 497 KB, 312x205, kat.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5262497 No.5262497 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, it seems politicians and people with opinions seem to keep banging on about how important it is that more americans study STEM subjects, how it's a matter of national importance that america gains competitiveness with China and hurr durr.

But then when we actually look at the prospects for science grads, it's shit.

Prospects for mathematicians: high school teacher, maybe financial engineer if you are from harvard or princeton.
Prospects for physicists: high school teacher
Prospects for chemists: lab technician on minimum wage
Prospects for biologists: flippin burgers

Obvious then you have engineers and computer scientists and they do ok, but even they don't make nearly as much money as management or business students can make with half the intelligence.

Somethings got to give /sci/, what is it?

>> No.5262512

>>5262497
We need to stop worrying about "what jobs can I get?" That mental attitude dissuades people from doing things that are important. We need to encourage that WHATEVER field you are intending to get into, to do something in it that advances it. Whether it be bio, economics, or even a trade. We need some type of incentive system. What the US needs to stop doing is making it a nationalistic problem.

>> No.5262536

I see jobs for statsfags all the time. Same for scientists and engineers. There may be alot of competition, however... which means we need job creation. So go forth and try to start your own business.

>> No.5262557

>>5262497
Rofl. You think someone with a degree in mathematics from just about any university will be forced into a shit tier teaching job? You're a fucking idiot, and you should do any amount of research before trying to extrapolate on your premises.

>> No.5262561

>>5262557
btw if you were trolling, you got me hardcore, 10/10

>> No.5262563

>>5262561
OH GOD, OH GOD. YOU DID TROLL ME. FUCK OFF. GOD DAMMIT. SAGE IN THE NAME F