[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 590 KB, 1200x1600, 2012-11-10 16.38.31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5259933 No.5259933 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /sci/,

Biomedical engineering major here. wasted alot of time. Didn't know what I wanted.

HERE IS MY STORY:
One day I was taking a class called Engineering, Tech, and Society (at FIU) and I really wanted to become an engineer. Teacher told me engineers made the world (I believed him). Long story short, I was doing Nursing at Broward College before I decided to return to BME.

Current Classes: Physics I, Calc 2, Ethics.

Next Semester: Bio I, Physics 2, Calc 3, Weight Training.

I want to do this for a career: Work with tissue engineering, or surgery, or working with diagnostic tool development, preferably particle detection, biomarkers, protein detection, the like. I eventually want to be like House and find and solve problems quickly.

I am trying to remain focused.

I also enjoy studying the following whenever I can:
Language. I speak Russian, learning Spanish and Hebrew. Want to learn Chinese, Indian, Japanese, maybe Korean, maybe German, French.
Marketing. I love the science of selling stuff.
Psychology. Because I just want to understand more.
Communication, Rhetoric, Semantics. Because I hate saying stupid things.

/sci/, I really need your support.

I want to go to med school, but I don't want to deal with the politics. I want to be a made man. I am working really hard toward these goals, and I want to share them with you.

I really want to get to John Hopkins or MIT because they have the best BME programs I hear.

Also, I am considering taking up computer science as a major.

Am I wanting to do too much?

I feel committed.

An Asian chick who dated a cardiologist told me that I (being a Russian) am very analytical, and know how to deal with people well (I believe this too).

So what does /sci/ think?

I am totally wanting to be a better BME, but as you can see, I am still a baby.

MOLD ME /SCI/. LET ME BE YOU. I am a king and I need a throne. Help???

>> No.5259938
File: 96 KB, 640x480, 2012-11-10 15.32.12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

by the way, I also like studying politics, but only the historical kind. For example, why do we do the things we do?
I also like understanding geology, sociology, and culture. This is because I want to be like House, M.D.

/sci/ is awesome, you all have big wieners. It's true.

>> No.5259945
File: 112 KB, 640x480, 2012-11-10 15.33.03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

also, I want to invent something. Or discover some new application of something. Or some phenomenon. you know, Nobel prize type of stuff.

>> No.5259958
File: 117 KB, 500x500, 1351149299909 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is actually a pretty good troll.
A+, would read again.

>> No.5259960

>>5259959
you are right. I just want to be the best I can be.

>> No.5259959

>>5259945
>I want to invent something
You suck. You're in it for the glory. Fuck you.

>> No.5259964

>>5259962
man , I read that book. I also read the Bible.

>> No.5259961

>>5259958
Oh shit, you're right.
10/10, OP.

>> No.5259962

read this
7 healthy habits of highly effective people

>> No.5259970

You want to go to med school, but you really want to be a good engineer... What the hell.

You've gotta specialize, dickhead, not branch out.

>> No.5259966

>>5259938
Biomed eng second year here, I highly recommend it. At my school it's premed plus engineering so it's rigorous.

>> No.5259973

>>5259964
“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy? “Or who shut in the sea with doors when it burst out from the womb, ...

>> No.5259977

>>5259958
>>5259961
You are all crazy. No troll here.

>> No.5259980

>>5259964
I meant I Read (currently reading, dont plan on stopping, because I am a believer).

>> No.5259986

>med school
>BME
>CS
>I am trying to remain focused.

pls expln

>> No.5259988

>>5259977
I refuse to believe people like this exist on /sci/. I substitute my perspective for reality and therefore it becomes my reality.

>> No.5259990

>>5259966
thanks.

>>5259970
Bro, you are so right. I am confused. I am torn between the two. The reason is because I have had no exposure. I LIKE fixing things that are broken; had some experiences in the past, they were rewarding. I also used to take apart electronics when I was a child. Rarely nowadays. Also, I don't really know what its LIKE being an engineer.

I AM fascinated about what engineers do, which is why I want to specialize, but I am not sure. I need someone to talk to with wisdom. You are all so wise.

>> No.5259999

>>5259988
BUT THAT'S NOT THE OBJECTIVE REALITY OF THE SITUATION, YOU SELFISH PROL.

Oh, and quads.

>> No.5259996

>>5259986

see >>5259990
. Okay, have you ever watched a show with hospital politics? I hate it. I wish everyone just did their job and then did the job of the guy who isn't doing their job well enough or fast enough or who needs help.

>> No.5260001

>>5259986
what is CS? Counter-strike?

>> No.5260004

>>5259996
Office bitchiness is unavoidable regardless of profession. It just happens when a group of people have to share the same space for extended periods of time.

Although, don't assume the exaggerated drama in those shows in normal.

>> No.5260008

>>5259996
TV is not the same as real life. House is not real.

I'd say politics in real life is more insidious. But you know what? It's a fact of life no matter what field you go into, so you gotta deal.

>> No.5260011

>>5260004
> It just happens when a group of people have to share the same space for extended periods of time.

I have noticed that phenomenon.

>> No.5260016

>2012
>wanting to be a doctor because of House

I am sure that show is an accurate depiction of reality!
I'll now proceed to spend my days wallowing in mystery medical problems while using my masterclass intuition to solve any and all problems.

Seems legit.

>> No.5260017
File: 636 KB, 1600x1200, 2012-11-15 21.51.59.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5259958
>>5259961

Eat this, Trolls.

>> No.5260021

>>5260017

Actually, I was referring to the fact that you could just as well have taken those pictures to troll us.
Which makes it a good and elaborate troll.

>> No.5260027

God I hope this is a troll.

>> No.5260038

>>5259966
Right, which is why I was attracted to it in the first place. What are you focusing on?

I really like the work of John T McDevitt (made a quick diagnostic tool for determing HIV particles in saliva) and Robert Langer (tissue engineering, pioneering drug delivery, this guy is a superstar), and Roselle Abraham (she works with stem cells on cardiac patients).

>> No.5260039

1) OP you are an alien

2) Biomedical engineering is more suited to people who don't want to go beyond an MS and would rather invest that time in getting certifications and professional technical training.

Biomedical engineering really is engineering, unlike Bioengineering which is really biochemistry/molecular bio/MCDB where you also took some engineering classes.

within that context, there is great potential. Because its a true engineering discipline, biomedical engineers do not require Ph.D.s to get high salaries.

3) the field is still in its early stages so there is potential to get in on the ground floor with patents that will be extremely lucrative.

4) begin looking for employment early in your last year. If you only want a BS or MS, then indusry internship >>> undergraduate research..... if Ph.D. is your goal, then its the opposite.

On-campus recruitment is the best way to find employment; with the exception of the giant companies, the companies that do recruitment actually have OPEN spaces....

additionally, they have no illusions about your skill. with the exception of the verbal interview wherein they learn if you are a sociopath or spaghetti-laden-fannypack wielding neckbeard, you are basically "pre-approved" for consideration for those positions that they solicit at career fairs and recruitment days.

Increasingly, scientific and engineering companies are firing older professionals so that they can hire recent graduates at half the pay but with more than half of the performance (eg: 50% pay for 75% of the performance means you are getting a bargain).

This (campus recruiting) is where the companies go to hire people.

>> No.5260049

>>5259960
like no one ever was?

>> No.5260055

To catch them is my real test

>> No.5260059

>>5260039
wow. Yes. I am an alien.

This delivers to me. Thank you.

I see myself helping to create those patents and things like that. Since I like to travel and I am outgoing, I see myself talking with people in other countries.

#2, I don't really know what engineering is like. All I've done is fix things, like changing the oil in my car.

>> No.5260067
File: 32 KB, 450x300, clueless.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5260039
>would rather invest that time in getting certifications and professional technical training

can you elaborate on this? what certifications? I am clueless.

>> No.5260062

Oh God I need to sleep.
But this is way too god.

>>5260059
>all I've done is fix things, like changing the oil in my car

Jesus.

>> No.5260077
File: 7 KB, 260x194, jesus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5260062
>Jesus

>> No.5260081

>>5260062
>But this is way too god

Don't laugh at me /sci/, I need help. I am like a hurt puppy on the road who needs urgent care.

>> No.5260087

>>5260059
>All I've done is fix things, like changing the oil in my car.
> like changing the oil in my car.
>2012

>> No.5260089

>>5260081
>I am like a hurt puppy on the road who needs urgent care
>MOLD ME /SCI/. LET ME BE YOU. I am a king and I need a throne. Help???
>but as you can see, I am still a baby.

He is a lot of things!

>> No.5260088

>>5260038

sorry bro.

Synthetic organic and inorganic polymer chemists own the drug delivery field.

There is a tiny bit of room for process and manufacturing development in this area, but the vast majority of actual real life products and lucrative technologies in drug delivery were developed by people who have "professor of chemistry" or "professor of materials" in front of their names with Ph.D.s in materials.

synthetic vesicles, dendrimers/comb/star polymers, biomimetic membrane encapsulation, EPR-leveraged chemotherapy drug delivery, controlled dosage covalently bound and biochemically degraded polymer supports, photodynamic therapeutics, cyclodextrans/rotaxanes/catenanes, in-vivo and in-vitro tagging, etc.

behind the chemists are the biochemists, who typically (except possibly at Scripps) have limited skills in synthesis and stick to basic ass click chemistry or olefin metathesis to functionalize stuff like graft, comb, or dendrimers (which they purchase off the shelf) with ligands or antigens for target specific delivery.

the biomedical engineers are better at macroscopic stuff; controlled dose implants (including drug-impregnated stents), micro/nanofluidic drug injection systems (or alternative to injection), orthoscopic surgical instrumentation, milimeter wave skin cancer detection systems, ultrasonic drug delivery and plaque/mineral (cardiovascular and renal/urinary, respectively), etc.

Biomedical engineers can take the elective coursework to focus on chemical applications........

but you would have more lucrative job options focusing on devices and process/operation development.

>> No.5260098

>>5260088
>plaque/mineral (cardiovascular and renal/urinary, respectively
>devices and process/operation developmen

this stuff sounds cool, especially whatever you mean by the plaque/mineral part.

Man, you are right, maybe it is pointless for me to go into the materials science stuff. Although I really like the work that is being done with nanotechnology and cell cancer therapy (those are reasons why I mentioned drug delivery in the first place).

Can you talk more about process and operation development? What is that stuff all about? Do I need to open up factories or something? I don't understand the process entirely.

>> No.5260105
File: 55 KB, 330x357, Feelsgoodmangreen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5260089
>He is a lot of things!

I am crying out for help!!!

I don't want to be retarded and waste my time. I think you can sympathize with me. The fact that someone is writing back to me with quality info is like... feels good man

>> No.5260117

>>5260088

Is there a branch that you would recommend me entering into?

I'm thinking cardiology right now and tissue engineering, but the consensus seems to be on making stuff.

I need laser focus.

>> No.5260140

>>5260059
>>5260067

I distinguish a biomedical engineer in the following ways:

medical --> not microbiological, not biochemical.

this means macroscopic applications.... YES, chemistry may make an apperance in the process, but its typically chemistry that has been developed by other people and developed to the point that its now robust and mature. chemistry becomes purely tool, and knowledge of chemistry means that you are an artisan or expert with a tool.....

engineer --> not science, not not research, not "why/how does it work?"

engineer == applications, devices, products; "how do we make/fix/solve it?"

biomedical engineers focus on a different scale/type of problem than do bioengineering (who are biochemists and molecular biologists) or chemical engineers.

Bioengineers are almost always involved in making new commercial devices. just like any engineer, they use any tool available to them.... fluid dynamics (micro/nanofluidics), semiconductor lithography (lab-on-chip), electromagnetism (detectors/sensors and probes; new diagnostic tools), chemistry (surface-functionalization of an artificial bone with patient specific prosthetic groups for minimal rejection, polymer coatings for biocompatibility, etc.), etc.
I hope it doesnt sound like I'm critical. I'm not. medical engineering is the thing that sets the miracles of western medicine apart from a lone door-to-door general practictioner in the middle of bumblbefuck nowhere who can do little more than pronounce judgement.

inb4 some high school student says >miracles of western medicine because they think pharmaceuticals and surgery are too unnatural and a scam.

>> No.5260160

>>5260140
this is good. Thanks for the clarity.

>engineer == applications, devices, products; "how do we make/fix/solve it?"

this lets me understand my function clearer.
Shouldn't biomedical engineers do this???:::
>Bioengineers are almost always involved in making new commercial devices. just like any engineer, they use any tool available to them.... fluid dynamics (micro/nanofluidics), semiconductor lithography (lab-on-chip), electromagnetism (detectors/sensors and probes; new diagnostic tools), chemistry (surface-functionalization of an artificial bone with patient specific prosthetic groups for minimal rejection, polymer coatings for biocompatibility, etc.), etc.

I can see myself now solving, fixing problems, making stuff.

Don't know if I should go the bioengineering way, seems like I can be better off as a biomedical engineer.

>> No.5260230

>>5259933
sup OP, Math and Comp Sci double major at FIU as well

just wanted to drop by and say hi

>> No.5260258

Wow, I respect you, OP. You seem to be really dedicated to actually learning, even if it's only for the result of the learning and not the discovery of knowledge. I hope you figure things out.

>> No.5260634
File: 32 KB, 679x427, 1288164553203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I believe OP when he says that he's not trying to troll, but this could be a 10/10, even without his fucking pictures.

>uses his own picture as an avatar
>taking only 3 courses
>wants to be like a fictional character and solve medical problems quickly, but hasn't even taken bio 1 yet
>Marketing and science in the same sentence
>also wants to major in cs
>thinks that being Russian magically gives you analytical/social skills
>wants a nobel prize

Do you realize how stupid you sound OP? You will not be like house. Nobody cares about your myriad of unrelated fucking interests. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and I seriously wonder how you could go to a university, be so interested in learning, and still be this clueless.

Go into BME. If that's too applied for you, go into Bio-Med. Satisfy your other interests by reading books and self-studying; Just because a bunch of things interest you doesn't mean you should (or even could) do the 9-part major that you seem to want to do. Maybe you should speak to your profs and ask some basic questions about future careers for your fucking major before coming to 4chan for advice.

Fucking nigger.

>> No.5261090

>>5260634

Thanks for your advice. I know I must sound like an idiot. I just wanted you to know what was on my mind. Yeah, I do disclose alot of information only so you can really know what's going on.

As I said, I really haven't applied myself, and yes, I am new.

>You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and I seriously wonder how you could go to a university, be so interested in learning, and still be this clueless.

Thanks for your clarity. I will keep moving forward and stick to BME. I really like the idea on improving on things, I do well in problem solving.

I must sounds like a fool, which is why I want to be corrected. Thanks for your help.

>> No.5261096

>>5260039
>certifications and professional technical training

>>5260088
>plaque/mineral (cardiovascular and renal/urinary, respectively
>process/operation development

could you please elaborate on these? I don't understand what these encompass

>> No.5261097

>>5260230

Hey, what's going on? Double majoring must be hard...

>> No.5261146

>>5259933
holy fuck are you a fag. this is the gayest shit ive seen on /sci/ in recent memory.

>> No.5261158

>>5261090
just go read a book and then maybe, maybe we can talk

>> No.5261162

>>5259945
>also, I want to invent something. Or discover some new application of something. Or some phenomenon. you know, Nobel prize type of stuff.

so you want to invent something magicaly out of nowhere?Keep thinking that way

>> No.5261170

Still on calculus and physics 1?

Wait 2 years more. You would have 6 hours to sleep and a shitty diet.

If you don't like math, medicine, nor science then you would not be comfortable to be a doctor, engineer, scientist.

But you like to talk about technology or have charisma?
Then physiology and philosophy majors are waiting for you.

>>>/lit/

>and don't come back

>> No.5261171
File: 7 KB, 192x184, 1349982645097.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5260062
omg this is too funny, this guy deserves a
>noble prize

>> No.5263003

OP back for more.

Hey everybody thanks for all your posts.

>>5261170
>>5261162
Thanks for the wake-up call.

>>5261096
could anyone please elaborate?

>> No.5263046
File: 180 KB, 400x400, 1326062381407.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5261170

>Physiology

>> No.5263079

I'll roll with this, even if it's a troll because I think this is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

OP, take 5-6 courses a semester and see if you can handle it. If not, don't ever consider becoming an engineer. Getting into med school isn't any easier, but you're not as focused on getting credits and passing pre-reqs as you should be of raising your GPA. Be well rounded and get a very high GPA, that's my advice to you if want to become a doctor.

Computer science is the easiest of the three options you listed. GPA's don't matter here. All you need is a decent portfolio as a game dev, programmer, network tech, or the equivalent to be successful. In fact, I would say a degree for CS is trivial since you can always learn most of the things on your own.

Last but not least, tackle things one at the time. Maybe try engineering. If you can't handle it, switch to pre-med. If that doesn't work out, enroll in a tech college to learn CS. I doubt you'll fare much worse than that if you are truly the intellectual you would have us believe.