[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 109 KB, 406x364, computer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5247403 No.5247403 [Reply] [Original]

Engineering major here. I'm getting really tired of this shit. Every fucking week it's the same shit. Go to class, study, take test, repeat. It's bullshit. What's the point of learning all this stuff if we're gonna forget anyway? I can't even remember what classes I took my freshman year of college. Iv'e lost interest in math. Can you believe I actually liked it once?

Who else feels me?

>> No.5247404

to become an engeneer

>> No.5247407

In my finial year, and going for my masters after that, still enjoying it a lot. Only thing I hate is taking tests, but who doesn't? Maybe you picked the wrong major, like most people who choose engineering only for the job prospects.

>> No.5247406

You sound like someone who just chose engineering for the prospective salary. If you want the job, do the work to get yourself there.

>> No.5247438

>What's the point of learning all this stuff if we're gonna forget anyway?
Very little. The course is designed for people that do NOT forget it all afterward.

>> No.5247444

>>5247406
>>5247407
Actually my dream is to design and make shit that goes to space. It just seems like what I'm doing in school has nothing to do with what I'll do once I start working as an engineer. That's where my beef is. Where I used to work as a machinist, we would get shitty drawings done by engineers who had never set foot in a machine shop before, thus they were all wrong. Why do I need to get my degree if I could have done a better job than those engineers without it?

>> No.5247443

>What's the point of learning all this stuff if we're gonna forget anyway?
You shouldn't forget any of it. I personally don't forget anything science/math-related that interests me.
If you don't enjoy studying science/math and using that knowledge to create new stuff, you shouldn't be in the major you are in.
>I can't even remember what classes I took my freshman year of college.
I don't know what to tell you, that's really bad.
>I've lost interest in math. Can you believe I actually liked it once?
If you hate everything about your major that much, I guess you're not going to like a job in it anyway, so maybe it's best if you drop out...
PS: the noble art of mathematics is the most beautiful thing in the entire world and don't you ever dare say otherwise

>> No.5247450

>>5247444
1) Good luck making "shit that goes to space" without remembering your freshman courses.
2) Maybe you should look into a college (not university) technician's degree. I think you will like that more. It's more practical and there's way less math etc involved.

>> No.5247455

>>5247450
1) I don't think liberal arts classes are useful for making space stuff anyway
2) I've done that already.

>> No.5247463

Stuff from freshman year is pointless. Particles on pulleys, diagonalizing matrices and plotting graphs. If you manage to complete the degree then you'd only need and hour to re learn stuff from long ago.

>> No.5247466

>>5247455
>liberal arts classes
Where the hell do you go to uni?

So, you already have that degree, then why don't you just find a job with that?
I think you'll find that any job that requires the uni degree will require to much theoretical thinking for your liking anyway. I don't know you, but from what I've read here, I think you would enjoy a practical job more.

>>5247463
>diagonalizing matrices and plotting graphs
>useless
What are you even trying to say. That stuff is really basic and extremely vital for a whole range of applications.

>> No.5247473

Sorry I can't quote, what I mean is that they teach that stuff so that you know what's going on when you grab a computer to do it for you. Your usefulness is based on how efficient you are at the job, especially in engineering

Unless you want to take the research path I guess

>> No.5247477

>>5247455
What kind of engineering degree has liberal arts stuff in first year?

Not sure if it works different in America, but here in Australia, doing my Civil Engineering degree, my first semester consisted of:

1. Introduction to Engineering
2. Basic statics and dynamics
3. Math
4. More math

Second semester:

1. Even more math
2. Introduction to materials
3. Basic physics (including special relativity)
4. Some other thing I can't remember

My second and third years consisted of everything from more mathematics and steel structural analysis to basic concrete engineering and structural design, with environmental engineering and chemistry in-between.

>> No.5247506

>>5247403
The idea is that you retain the information instead of forgetting it.

Perhaps you should be seeking co-operative education or an undergraduate research semester.

>> No.5247514

After first year of engineering i've come to conclusion it's nice, but physics is what i'm looking for

>> No.5247530

>>5247403

I'm the opposite of you OP, I still remember much of my freshman year. I really enjoyed learning about such a broad range of fields, although most of them aren't directly applicable to my field (CHEM E), I still enjoyed the experience.

>> No.5247538

>>5247514
Somewhat relevant to me.
I like engineering very much, but my true love is for mathematics.

>> No.5247788

wait until you start doing the hands on lab classes, then it will get fun. we i started junior year we learned some welding and started using test equipment on beams and concrete footings.

>Why do I need to get my degree if I could have done a better job than those engineers without it

actually making physical shit is not the engineers job, it is a technicians job. i majored in structural; i do not do concrete pours my self. the manual laborers do that job.

you can always switch majors , double major, or minor in another area. i majored in structural and double minored in math/french.

>> No.5247843

>>5247403
>Who else feels me?
Me.
I dropped out and became a med student instead.

>> No.5247874

>>5247403
I feel you but let's say it's worth it, all the years we're taking shit from teachers and being neglected from having any real fucking social life will make us get a good fucking life in the next years to come.
>You continue

>> No.5247902

>>5247477

In murrika we need to take liberal arts classes for "width and breadth of knowledge". I need to take 8 classes over a 4 year degree, so that's one liberal arts class per semester. I'm in enegineering.

>> No.5247904

This is true. I am majoring in engineering, and seriously, I barely remember anything from those courses. It is all methods anyway, no understanding.

I've taken a couple pure maths classes, like discrete math, algebra 1&2, linear algebra and more. I feel as if I could go take the exam again with 1 or 2 days studying. Maths is being taught the right way, engineering is not.

>> No.5247923

>>5247904
>I barely remember anything from those courses. It is all methods anyway, no understanding.
Then you go to a shit uni.

>> No.5249661

That's why I'm a carpenter.