[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 35 KB, 500x354, nootropic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5234585 No.5234585 [Reply] [Original]

What is the best nootropic drug in the world?

I want to enhance my brain via chemicals because I cant trust my body to do it on its own.

>> No.5234602

nzt 48 lel

>> No.5234610

>>5234585
ATP
also GTP

>> No.5234644
File: 105 KB, 174x547, blissbottle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nuero Bliss is pretty tasty.

pic related, more info @ drinkneuro.com

>> No.5234647

Cannabis sativa

>> No.5235193

>>5234644
It doesn't do shit.

>> No.5235266

lighter fuel

>> No.5235269

Amphetamine.

>> No.5235406

There are no drugs that would improve your brain, OP. It's like multiplying with zero. Even inflating your brain could give you only a pea sized brain.

>> No.5235423

Amphetamines are the only ones that do shit. However, unless you actually need them to function, you will probably develop minor psychosis in the long term because you brain is so over-stimulated for long periods of time. Personally I tend to have bouts of extreme paranoia and depression.

>> No.5235426

Galantamine
HGH
IGF-1

>> No.5235437

a girl's saliva and pussy juice

>> No.5235472

>>5234610
>>5234647
>>5235269
>>5235423
These guys are right. Cannabis is a competitive AChE inhibitor and slows the hydrolysis of acetylcholine, which allows ACh's action in the brain - mainly that of inflammatory and signal-transfer - to continue unimpeded. Don't go looking for unrecommended AChE Inhibitors, though. You're likely to try one that our body can't get around the effects of, which results in paralysis, and asphyxiation.

Of note, Huperzine A is an AChE inhibitor that has also been shown to be effective in protecting the brain from overstimulation; helping the brain repair itself in cases of degenerative neurotoxics and Alzheimer's and dementia; and increases neural growth(though an increased number of neurons does not guarantee increases in general intelligence unless one is learning a second/third/n-th language or learning how to play an instrument).

Citations and More Info on HZA:
http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/8701750/reload=0;jsessionid=QZuEsXekmBPaA1p694Qp.4

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/10856449

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/v86-137#.UJvVE9d9VUQ

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.pa.34.040194.001433

http://www.nature.com/aps/journal/v26/n6/full/aps2005101a.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15916732

>> No.5235504 [DELETED] 
File: 132 KB, 1200x467, u7Xtv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey sci I had a script for adderall for like a year. one of the side effects that i've been left with is that im constantly aware of my walking/blinking.

i'm almost in a constant state of having to manually blink. and when i walk i have to do it entirely manually. annoying as fuck. feel like i look retarded in public

>> No.5235530

>>5235472
Also of note: To test the effects of HZA myself, I attempted to learn the Korean language while on it. It previously took me just over six months to become fluent enough in German to communicate effectively on German forums.
Korean is a language isolate with a unique system of writing, and it took only four-five months for fluent conversation to take place. This also involved me learning a new typing system to use on the forums.

Other ways to increase mental ability are:
Stay fit;
Make sure you get all the nutrients you need, including all of the basic amino acids;
Take vinpocetine to selectively increase blood-flow and oxygenation of the brain's tissues

>>5235504
This is more than likely caused by the anxiety-inducing effects of adderall and other amphetamines. As
>>5235423
said, it's possible to develop minor psychosis due to usage. It is beyond unlikely that amphetamines caused damage or alteration of the basal ganglia to destroy your body's ability to automate blinking.

>> No.5235638

>>5235530
Where'd you learn Korean from?

>> No.5235647

>>5235638
http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/
and
http://www.koreanclass101.com/ (Filled with ads, ignore them for best results)
combined with using common websites in Korean(Facebook was a major one, along with Google's default search page). I then moved to actually using the Korean on forums, textboards, and imageboards.

>> No.5235665

I like adderall, it makes spending a Friday night reading axioms and postulates sort of enjoyable.

>> No.5235671

>>5235530
>6 months to learn german

should have tried rosetta stone bro

>> No.5235689

>>5235671
I did. All languages with latin-based alphabets are easier learned through Rosetta Stone, in my experience. I speak five languages(English, French, Spanish, German, and Korean) with French and Spanish being learned in school, and having previously used Rosetta Stone to supplement my education.

Um fliesend sprechen themen, die ich sein interesse in, es dauerte sechs monate.
(Translated: It took six months to learn to speak fluently about topics I'm interested in.)
I still have an awkward way of using German, according to most native Germans.

>> No.5235702 [DELETED] 

>>5235472
Okay I'm a little confused about something.

If inhibition of AChE leads to accumulation of ACh in the synaptic cleft and results in impeded neurotransmission and THC is an AChEI then consuming marijuana impedes neurotransmission then wouldn't that in detrimental effects brain function?

>> No.5235713

>>5235472
Okay I'm a little confused about something.

If inhibition of AChE leads to accumulation of ACh in the synaptic cleft and results in impeded neurotransmission and THC is an AChEI then consuming marijuana impedes neurotransmission then wouldn't that result in detrimental effects on brain function? And if HZA is an AChEI then shouldn't that have detrimental effects on brain function as well?

I'm assuming impeded neurotransmission is a bad thing.

>> No.5235716

>>5235702
Not necessarily. Research has shown that ACh may slow thought processes, but seems to increase short-term memory. A major theory behind the function is the thought that there's less leakage and interference by transmission.

Note that there's also a possibility that while it increases short-term memory, it may impede creation of long-term memory due to the processing of STM to reduce it for transfer into LTM. I'll try to find the studies on this, but I recall people that were high during a false crime used for research were less reliable for details during interviewing, and their memories were more easily altered by suggestion, both overt and covert.

>> No.5235730

I do not recommend coffee. I've been drinking it for about 4-5 years daily 6-7 cups per day (~150mg caffeine per cup). It made me nervous in any "stressful" situation. My hear rate was through the roof, I got depressed, psychosis developed, etc. I never realized caffeine was the culprit until I stopped for a couple of days. My anxiety was relieved instantly, I could focus better because I wasn't doubting myself all the time (exams), I slept waay better and my overall mood was better. Stay away from caffeine.

>> No.5235740

>>5235689
Probably because you're speaking it the way you were taught, formally.

>> No.5235745

>>5235740
That, and the fact that I refuse to capitalize every noun.

>>5235730
I practically live on caffeine(1L+ per day of coffee), unfortunately. I have little problem focusing, though. The opposite, in fact. Do you react the same way to all stimulants, or just caffeine?

>> No.5235748

>>5235689
Wooh, no offence man, but that German is Google-Translator-Tier, you should probably fresh that up a bit.

Also, are you telling me weed improves memory?

>> No.5235754

>>5235716
Yes, please do, since while I don't give a shit for my STM because it was always shit even before I started vaping weed every day, I would like to know if my LTM can be improved.

>> No.5235762

>>5235745
I'm pretty sensitive to most drugs. I was wrongfully diagnosed with ADHD because the diagnosis took place at a time where I drank 2-3 cups of coffee believe it or not. When I stopped drinking coffee, all those racing thoughts, paranoia just stopped. Same with alcohol, just takes a sip or 2 of wine or beer and I feel something instantly. I think I'm just sensitive to drugs in general.

>> No.5235783

>>5235730

The thing about caffeine is that if you consume it regularly you body literally stops receiving any benefits from it and instead you start suffering from withdraw symptoms whenever you stop consuming it.

People don't think of the effects of caffeine abstinence as being like that of other drugs but this is mainly because the effects are things like feeling tired and not being able to think straight.

>> No.5235787

>>5235748
No. THC likely does. Weed in general, I'm not educated enough on the non-subjective effects to say.

>>5235754
Still looking! It's been quite a while. However, this: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095943880600122X
posits that it may increase both.

If you can't afford the article, here it is in a less-protected location: http://www.bu.edu/hasselmo/HasselmoCurrOpinion2006.pdf

>> No.5235848 [DELETED] 

>>5235787
Ahh, this is irritating. So far, I'm finding(for the most part) articles and studies based around current memory function being a predictor in usage of marijuana, something that... only people opposed to drug-use would likely find useful. That's not to say it's not interesting, though.

>> No.5235869

>>5235783
For the last 4-5 years I've developed psychosis from caffeine. I was drinking it a strong type of coffee daily. When I went to bed I could feel my heart rate. I thought I just suffered from anxiety internally but the cause was definitely my oversensitivity to caffeine. When my girlfriend rested her head on my chest she noticed how my hear rate was so high.

>> No.5235868

>>5235754
http://www.springerlink.com/content/m04476n5233r472v/

This and the 'Related articles' to the left lead to the extrapolation that marijuana may have little true effect on memory and cognition in small amounts, but acute intoxication is equivalent to acute intoxication by alcohol. This and three other experiments supporting it lack a real control group and instead use controlled conditions and a placebo, though, possibly making the reliability of their results suspect.

>> No.5235927

I had to quit coffee because it made me sweat really bad. Then a few months later one of my professors told me that its probably the quality of the coffee and went on about telling how pleb tier coffee is made. So i switched to fuck-expencive organic brand and experienced no excess sweating. The hipster eco treehugger anti-nuclear storeowner that sells it also told me that its supposedly keeps the overall negative effects to bare minimum.

>> No.5236018

>>5235927
It depends on your individual biochem I guess. I'm also very sensitive to caffeine. I've never done any 'other' drugs.

>> No.5236061

>>5235647
>imageboards

Just curious, what is 'Korean 4chan' anyway?

>> No.5236086
File: 17 KB, 400x240, everyones_laughing_at_you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>maybe taking THIS drug will make me less stupid

>> No.5236091
File: 16 KB, 272x326, poincare_old.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>nootropics
>/sci/

>>>/x/

>> No.5236096

10/10 thread, would read again
Before you take any drugs, I would suggest:
1) Maintain a great diet
2) Maintain a great physique-- helps blood-flow, lowers chances of depression, et cetera
3) Don't waste much time on video games and websites
4) As soon as you wake up, if possible, go right to the thing you wish to learn. Do this before bed, as well
5) Try meditation and yoga (though the latter is more similar to exercise). Go for walks. Clear your head.

>> No.5236098

try biofeedback

>> No.5236132

>>5236086
>>5236091
Depending on your definition of 'nootropic', some have enough research behind them to be realistically viewed as cognitive performance enhancers. Your views are rather cynical.

>> No.5236140

>>5235472

No offense, but those are the most sketchy-ass cited sources I've seen in a looong time. Suspiciously nearly every single one is from research groups in China (not quite a mecca of top-quality research) and published in jenky shit-journals. Even the nature publishing group one is actually published in acta pharmacologica sinica, a journal with a whopping impact factor of TWO. (For the unfamiliar, that might as well mean zero credibility, especially for a biological journal).

No one should be ingesting ANY substances based on that quality of evidence.

>>5235530
>Other ways to increase mental ability are:
>become a placebo master

Similarly, such effects from vinpocetine are at best unsubstantiated by conclusive evidence (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12535455)), and at worse flat out delusional.

And I'm not even going to go into the incredibly dubious (or at best poorly-characterized) connection between AChE inhibition and cognition. Here's a list of sources that conclusively support the concept of AChE inhibitors as effective nootropics (though they may be neuroprotective, which is unrelated):

Guys, ingesting random substances because there's a few barely repeated papers from no-name research groups in awful journals that suggest that it MIGHT make you smarter is possibly one of the least smart things a person can do. As they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

>> No.5236183

>>5236140
>Experiments that can be repeated, and have been repeated, with the same results
>Credibility is suddenly more important

Okay, how about Oxford Journals, published by Oxford University? http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/127/7/1574.short

>> No.5236205

>>5234585

I'm guessing you haven't even tried "training" your brain. If you work out your brain every day you will naturally adapt to be smarter and a quick thinker.

>> No.5236214

>>5236140
Fitness and the ability to synthesize neurotransmitters are rather well-accepted as necessary for maintaining peak mental performance. Both malnutrition and being unfit can(and often do) lead to cognitive impairment in the form dementia. They may also lead to the atrophy of the hippocampus or frontal lobe, and a large number of other ailments. I suggest you learn more about neurobiology, or even biology in general, before claiming something is a placebo.

>>5236205
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v465/n7299/abs/nature09042.html
Unlikely.