[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 230 KB, 1048x1002, tree-magnified-vj32q9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5223659 No.5223659 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /sci/, I'm an 18 year just finishing Year 12 in Australia. I feel as though I'm above average in intelligence, get ok grades and most of all enjoy science. I am sitting here pondering the world and all of the wonderful and thoughtful things it has to offer and question: Why don't people enjoy this? The world is amazing and filled with theorums, explanations, analytical information on topics you never even considered. Then I realise I too am an ignorant fool and am narrow minded.
What areas of science do you all see as being essential to a broad understanding and the world?
The sort of thing that can lead to inferences and general satisfaction in knowledge and understanding...

>> No.5223665

>>5223659
mathematics, information theory, physics, engineering, music, traditional visual art, philosophy, botany, biology, medicine.

all or nothing.

>> No.5223671

What state you in?

>> No.5223679

For some reason this picture reminds me of nuclear force

>> No.5223685

Maths, information theory and physics are the three that I feel i need more... And maybe philosophy. I do really enjoy my Biology, Medicine and chemistry though.

>>5223671
NSW, one HSC exam to go...

>> No.5223687

>>5223685
Awesome, I'm also a 18 year old finishing year 12.
My exams start in a week.
What subjects?

>> No.5223691

>>5223685

Traditional visual art not sciency enough for yah?

>> No.5223698

>>5223685
chemistry on tuesday?
what uni you planning on going to and what degree?

i'm looking at engineering or geology at unsw

>> No.5223701

Well, if you wonder more about the world than what is next on TV, chances are you are above average intelligent.

As for why people do not enjoy life more I think instant gratification combined with TV explains a lot of this. Then, of course, they expect ground breaking new discoveries to take place and provide them with more of life's luxuries. Reality is that research such as in pharmacy takes decades and can still go wrong. But few care as long as TV is OK.

Moon is nearly full now, go out and enjoy it. It brings so many thoughts to my mind, perhaps to you too:
- it was the centre of the space race, perhaps the most epic tech race ever, won by NASA back when they could deliver even in the face of crisis as with Apollo 13.
- it is nearly 40 years since last human walked on the moon
- and equally important: it is just beautiful.

Please do enjoy.

>> No.5223712

>>5223687
Starting? What state are you in?
Extension English, PD/H/PE, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Yourself?

>>5223698
Surely is, so keen! At the moment I'm unsure whether to go down the practitioning route with things such as Occupational therapy, or pharmaceuticals or whether to go for something like Medicinal chemistry or industrial chemistry.
Courses Include Chiropractics at Macquarie, Industrial Chem at Newcastle, Medicinal Chemistry at UNSW and the rest scattered across the state... I feel like some of these degrees won't be substantial enough for me to expand on though... Too limiting I guess I mean.

>>5223691
Just have never given it a thought I guess (ignorance once again!)

>>5223701
Yes the media in general seems to be sapping the life and thought from society. The fact that people can sit at a TV and watch what ever bland current affair program or drama or program like Big Brother with out thinking they could better spend there time sort of bothers me...On another note I loved your reply. This entire board allows me to have some faith in the world at a minimum...
It saddens me to think that people out there are outright against further space bound research programs. NASA lowering funding for example. The fact that humans have sent our own manufactured machines to Mars with little reaction from the world even when compared to moon voyages yadda yadda.

>> No.5223713

>>5223685
These. The most pure sciences: physics, mathematics, philosophy. And, of course, information theory is applied epistemology.

>> No.5223715

>>5223712
I'm in Tas.
Have Biology, Chemistry, Math and Economics.

>> No.5223718

>>5223713
*mathematics

>> No.5223717

>>5223701
Also I think I am a lucky person, from my computer and from my bed i can look out from my window and see the moon and stars with little interference.
I used to think star gazing as silly, luckily I grew up and can as you said appreciate it's aesthetic qualities and the sheer quantity of unknown.

>> No.5223721

>>5223715
Good luck to you good Sir! I have found so far if you go into your exams confident you should be ok. Also that last hour or so the morning of your exam is really helpful, no matter what anyone says!

>> No.5223730

>>5223721
Thank you!
I'm aiming for an ATAR between 80-90, I am pretty confident with everything.

>> No.5223737

>>5223730
Same here! The sad thing is I will actually be wondering about your results and will probably never find out...

And on that note I should head to bed to study hard tomorrow for Chemistry...

Good luck in your future endeavours Anon.

>> No.5223742

>>5223730
80-90 is pretty low bar youve set yourself

>> No.5223753

>>5223737
You are contact me with the address in the email field if you like.

>> No.5223754

Complexity economics looks like shitload of fun and its a new field that has been opened up by increasing computer power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPuYQW_cqY&feature=relmfu

>> No.5223758

>>5223742
If I set my bar low, then I feel great when I get way above it.