[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 117 KB, 347x346, brain1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5195228 No.5195228 [Reply] [Original]

Why do we get bored of doing the same things over and over?

does the dopamine run out or does the brain just decide to stop releasing it?

And why after taking a break from things and coming back to them, do we enjoy them again?

If a memory is stronger does the brain release less dopamine, if any?

Is dopamine even behind this, am I completely wrong?

Thanks.

>> No.5195336

>>5195228
>Why do we get bored of doing the same things over and over?
When you do something for the first time you're actively thinking about it. After you do it many times it becomes habit and can be done without active thinking.

>does the dopamine run out or does the brain just decide to stop releasing it?
dopamine can't "run out" that would be a serious disorder. The brain releases dopamine when the reward pathway is stimulated. My guess is that less dopamine is released for doing something that has become habit.

>And why after taking a break from things and coming back to them, do we enjoy them again?
The habit is broken and active thinking must be done once again to reestablish the habit.

>If a memory is stronger does the brain release less dopamine, if any?
If you have a habit, it can be done without active thinking. This saves the brain a bunch of energy and makes it hard to do things that aren't habitual (as it takes more energy).

>Is dopamine even behind this, am I completely wrong?
dopamine is part of the reward pathway. It's used to make you feel good when you do something beneficial. You should be able to get more info from the wiki.