[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 88 KB, 260x260, both.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5172813 No.5172813 [Reply] [Original]

The difference between research scientists and engineers:

>Research scientists find out how gravity works
>Engineers find out how to apply this to making hovercars

Am I right, /sci/? Can you give me other examples that would make me see the light?

considering electrical engineering and computer science to work in robotics for space travel

>> No.5172827
File: 22 KB, 407x342, jizzle puddin pop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>considering electrical engineering and computer science to work in robotics for space travel
Research scientists' fw they imagine everything they can work on here

>> No.5172833

Well, from what I can tell.. no. Engineers don't really do a lot of innovation. As an engineer you will learn about all the past engineering, and then simply apply that at a job. I don't think there's much room for experimenting or screwing around with new technologies for 99% of companies, unless you're working with Darpa or something

>> No.5172841

What about research engineers and applied scientists?

>> No.5172869

What about research scientists and normal scientists?

>> No.5172872

>>5172833
except there are engineers who work at research labs which may be owned by universities, corporate or the state
also most engineers doing research usually have a PhD in science and are referred to as engineers just because that was their bachelors or masters degree

>> No.5172875

>scientists are asked to "prove" things for rich people
>engineers are asked to design new ways for rich people to get rich

Am I right /sci/?

>> No.5172879

So tired of these threads. Obviously some people work on discovering and some on applying discoveries. It's just a job in the end. It doesn't make you less of a human being to be on the dependent side.

>> No.5172881

>>5172875

>engineers are asked to design flawed things which need to be quickly replaced to make rich people richer

>> No.5172884

>>5172879
no, but being a scientist makes you a better human than being an engineer

>> No.5172901

>tfw science bachelors wanting to get masters in engineering
How fucked am I?

>> No.5172910

>>5172901

depends on what science, if it was physics, applied math or something like that, you should be fine after taking some catch up classes.

Anything else would be really iffy.

>> No.5172929

>>5172910
Bio to bme

>> No.5172932
File: 21 KB, 450x357, astro4k2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5172813
I once heard it summed up poetically.

Engineers hate surprises. Scientists love them.

If you're an engineer you work with well established principles. You want everything to go as planned because you want your project to work. If something unexpected happens for a scientist it means they may have discovered something new, that's what scientists dream of.

Pic is the guys who found unexpected static in their radio telescope which became the discovery of the cosmic background radiation.

>> No.5172937

>scientist: coach
>engineers: soccer players

>> No.5172949

>>5172932
Scientists can afford to enjoy surprises because their equipment is always completely standardized and 100% reliable thanks to the engineers who built them. For engineers, surprises means wrong calculations, broken systems, and wasted time & money, and scientists don't usually get to appreciate how much those surprises are absolutely horrible because they can just get any problems fixed through their equipment warranties.
Everyone likes mysteries and puzzles to solve, and no one likes limitations and failures. Scientists and engineers are indistinguishable personality-wise save for their career focus.

>> No.5172958

>>5172932
Well, said.

If a little biased.

>> No.5172959

Researchers use tools developed by engineers to discover new underlying principles
Engineers apply underlying principles discovered by researchers to develop new tools

>> No.5172981

>>5172958
I'm actually an electronics engineer. I guess I should have included a sentence or two explaining the importance of engineering discipline and how our problem solving abilities is a special skill not everyone has.

If engineering is like building cool stuff with lego, science is like searching under the fridge for some missing pieces.

>> No.5173000

A scientist creates a solution.

An engineer finds a problem.