[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 82 KB, 452x230, MEdStudentResearchOffice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5129987 No.5129987 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any medical students on here? If so, do you guys have any advice for a college freshman? The main things I've been told are to be extremely social, that is, make friends with virtually anybody that can vouch for you, maintain a high GPA, stay motivated, and volunteer.

>> No.5130008

>>5129987

Why are you choosing medical? Which area?

>> No.5130020

Fuck making friends, they're no good to you.

Get high ass gpa and volunteer

>> No.5130081

>>5130008
Short answer: I like medicine and science.
Currently biology but that'll soon change to neuroscience.

>>5130020
But how am I supposed to get good recommendations then?

>> No.5130097

Guys help me not be a failure.

>> No.5130120

>>5130081
Why the fuck do you need recommendations when you have a 4.0 and good MCAT scores

>> No.5130140

OP you pretty much said it. I would also add to show leadership in some way, like in voluteering or being in a club or hell a sport. Another is to have a skill that most people dont have. you do gymnastics, play violin, judo,hell even competitive video games. Be interesting on paper.
Im planning on studying abroad for volunteer, research, and to learn spanish. Spanish background, but never learned it lol.
In summary be as interesting as your grades are good.

>> No.5130155

>>5130120
Because they want doctors with social skill and bedside manner, not autists

>> No.5130198

>>5130140
What year are you planning on going abroad? I don't want to do that yet seeing as how I'm only a freshman.

>> No.5130260

lol britfag medstudent 4th year here.

Gonna be a doctor at age 22, your American/Canadian system is fucking rediculous and a pain in the ass if you have any idea what you want to do at/before age 18

>> No.5130263

>>5130198
Im a sophmore now, so summer of 2013.
It's better to do study abroad early because you dont have many responsibilities or classes to catch up with.
If you want it at all do it now and not when your going to be swamped with mcats and life. Summer is recommended though.

>> No.5130323

>med student

Be prepared to be surrounded by the most worthless fucking idiots in the world. I swear, every pre-med student at my university is either a money-grubbing shithead or a naive twat. Having lab with them is a nightmare.

>> No.5130704

>>5130260
I know man. Sucks how college for us is basically high school for you guys.
>tfw have to go through 8+ years of school just to be doctor

>>5130263
Do you recommend going to a country that predominantly speaks English or learning a second language first?

>>5130323
How are they money-grubbing?

>> No.5130714

you've covered all the main bases, but you forgot a big one: DO RESEARCH

it used to be just a nice extra thing on medical school applications, but these days it's pretty much expected for any decent medical school. doesn't really matter what you do or what sort of lab you work in, but you need to have some sort of research application on your med school application. if you manage to win any prizes for it (poster presentation or something), that could also be a big boon to your application

>> No.5130724

>>5130704
Not him, but usually actual science majors and premeds don't get along.

They take the classes we love as a means to an end, and they bitch all the way, they're lazy in labs and they don't attempt to understand the material.

If you actually like science, look into something like pharmacology, that's kind of cool, and it's a field of "medecine" in which you actually understand what you're doing instead of memorizing things, though you will "memorize" some pharmacophores and what they do.

>> No.5130729

>>5130714
I wonder if med students are to blame for seemingly no lab positions being open around here. It seems like 90% of my classmates are pre-med.

>> No.5130730

2st year MD student here. Do these things and you will get into med school:

1) Get a 3.5 GPA or above as a specialized bio major (biochem, neuroscience, cell/molecular bio, etcetara)

2) Get above a 30 on the MCAT

3) Volunteer in a medically related setting starting NOW

4) Take part in a research project of some sort

5) Get letters of recommendation from where you volunteer, and where you do your research

6) ????

7) PROFIT!!!

>> No.5130742

I wish premed kids wouldn't get their applications to Med schools bolstered by research, it's really irritating to have kids who aren't really interested in what they're doing in the lab screw things up because they're only doing it to look good, you should do something because you enjoy it, especially scientific research.
Med schools should care more about shadowing and hands-on volunteer work or being an EMT while in college.
I highly doubt they use anything they learned in research labs while dealing with patients.

>> No.5130743

>>5130729
At the orientation for my scholarship, like 3/4 of the people there were majoring in biology or premed. A lot of them don't make it past the first year though.

>>5130730
3. Fuck. What if you don't have a car?
4. I'll head to the Arts and Sciences department tomorrow to ask about any.
5. This seems like the hardest part, honestly. In high school it was easy to get recommendation letters since we had smaller classes, however it seems like literally half of the students here are premed.

>> No.5130749

>>5130724
>medecine
Whoops, medicine, time to go to bed.

>> No.5130747

>>5130742
Ah, conflicting advice. So would it be okay as long as I'm genuinely interested in the research?

>> No.5130748

Get the fuck out of my labs.

>> No.5130751

>>5130749
That's how you spell it in French.

>> No.5130753

>>5130742

yeah, but then doctors might lose that delusion that they can do research as well as a phd

and if mds realize they're not god's gift to mankind, their heads would probably explode or something, so probably it's best this way

>> No.5130754

Well the car is only a problem if your school is in the middle of nowhere. There isn't any place for you to do some volunteering? No hospitals close by? No nursing homes?

As far as research goes, does your school have a research department attached to the biology or chemistry department?

The thing is, if you volunteer, or work as part of a research laboratory, you have just inserted yourself into a smaller population of people. Most research laboratories only have a few technicians, and if you make a good impression you could get a nice letter written from the head of the lab.

>> No.5130755

>>5130724
>>5130742
>They have different interests and life goals than I do and are taking steps to fulfill said goals.
>>5130747
It's ok no matter what. As long as you at least feign interest and do a good job, you will get a good letter of rec.

>> No.5130757

>>5130747

Fuck the haters, if you doing a PhD, you were too fucking lazy to become a real doctor. Doing research will help you get into medical school. That is your goal, and you should be ruthless and uncompromising until you attain it. If you aren't, then you will be pushing pippetters for the next 25 years.

>> No.5130762

>>5130747
Oh it undoubtedly looks good to Med schools, my problem is with kids who only do research for that and have no respect for what they do.
Usually, if you're going to go to Med school you don't love the science as much as the grad students and post-docs you work alongside.
Just do your absolute best in those research labs, treat the experience with respect, the people you're working with and for usually do what they do because they enjoy it (though there are those who do not).

If you want really good letters of recommendation take interest in what you're doing, ask questions, learn, see it as fun.

>> No.5130763

>>5130754
>Well the car is only a problem if your school is in the middle of nowhere.
I go to UNO, one of the most well-known schools in the Midwest. I car isn't too much of an issue so I suppose I can get around that easily.

>>5130757
>dat motivation
Thanks man. You guys have been awfully helpful today. This is valuable advice.

>> No.5130764

Why do you have to maintain a high GPA? Is it a requisite to find a job or something? Because I thought that physicians were one of the most demanded professionals.

>> No.5130765

>>5130757
>implying being a doctor is meaningful

>> No.5130767

>>5130765
>doctors disappear
>suddenly people die by the droves

conversely
>doctors disappear
>the average lifespan increases by 5 years

>> No.5130774

>>5130764
>Why do you have to maintain a high GPA? Is it a requisite to find a job or something? Because I thought that physicians were one of the most demanded professionals.

Medical school is competitive as hell. I think less than 20% of all applicants each year get accepted. They want really skilled and motivated people.

Which reminds me, why is it that Europeans can go to medical school right after secondary school?

>> No.5130782

>>5130757
Is this a joke?
Really, are you that fucking stupid?

I'm pursuing a PhD because I have more gravitas than any premed I ever knee, I have an actual interest in chemistry; I enjoy it, I study it in my free time because it's fun.
I do research because I'm interested in the outcome, without people like me you little shits wouldn't even have anything to memorize.

Go fuck yourself, I hope you fail at all you do.

>> No.5130786

>>5130757

>Wanting to be a doctor
>Wanting to deal with shitty, ignorant, stupid, selfish, and greedy patients day in and day out
>Wanting to apply other peoples' findings to diagnose said people
>Wanting to help such people
>Wanting to help people
>Wanting to deal with bureaucracy (HIPPA, government, lawsuits, etc.), "ethics", etc.
>Not wanting to unlock the fundamental secrets of the universe instead

Continue stroking your own ego to rationalize and justify your previous misjudgments.

>> No.5130790

>>5130757
>if you doing a PhD, you were too fucking lazy to become a real doctor

I keep reading this sentence but I don't think I understand.

>> No.5130839

>>5129987
>one of the most well known midwest colleges
I'm an 18 year old going through the college application process right now, from the midwest even, and I had no clue what UNO was. I had to google it. I'm even looking to major in neuroscience, like you.

Why would you go to a unranked state school if you go on sci? I expected you guys to be geniuses...

>> No.5130844

This is me
>>5130839
Meant to link to this
>>5130763

>> No.5130854

>>5130730
No, that will put you on about equal footing with all the other applicants. You might have to settle for a DO school with a 3.5.

>> No.5130860

>>5130858
>from them*

>> No.5130858

>>5130839
Because Creighton was too expensive and I didn't get enough scholarship money from the. How have you not heard of UNO? It's like the only reputable college next to UNL. Have you heard of the University of Nebraska-Medical Center?

What state/town are you from and where do you plan on going?

>> No.5130864

The American medical association is a cartel, and artificially restricts the number of new doctors entering the profession every year. They make it very difficult to open new medical schools. They do this to keep their salaries artificially high. No other country has doctors that make as much as those in the US.

>> No.5130866

>>5130864
Do you have any links or know of any material where I can read about this?

>> No.5130882

>>5130858
Ah, ok. So you only wanted to go in state. That's cool. I have friends like that.

I'm from Illinois. Don't know exactly where I'm going yet, but Washington St. Louis, Vanderbilt, Brandeis, Tulane etc are on my list for the time being.

>> No.5130898

>>5130882
>Ah, ok. So you only wanted to go in state. That's cool. I have friends like that.
Rather negative connotation that "only" has. There was to reason for me to go out of state. And even if I wanted to it would have been far more expensive to and tedious to start a life in a new state. Plus, UNO offered me full ride so I'm content to stay here for now.

I would have gone to Creighton however it's like $30,000 a year and no school is worth that much.

>> No.5130913

>>5130898
Sorry, didn't mean it as something negative. Congrats on the full ride btw.

>> No.5130928

>>5130913
Thanks. And being someone who had to go through the rigors and tedium of scholarship applications, it really does help if you apply for everything that comes your way. Yeah, you might think a $400 scholarship isn't that much but they do add up. If possible, spend all of your free-time during school conversing with your counselor about scholarships you're eligible for. Just a little piece of advice.

>> No.5130934

>>5129987
Are those guys in your picture standing in front of Mount Sinai of Toronto? The place seems familiar.

>> No.5131006

>>5130934
I guess. Look closely in the far left and you'll see "Mount S--".

>> No.5131184

There are some pre-meds who are just about trying to get easy A's, and complain when they actually have to think. Others are actually pretty smart, and genuinely want to understand the course material. These people are pretty easy to pick apart. Guess which ones get accepted to medical school?

I'm not pre-med, and I don't really have an aspiration for graduate school (as I don't feel like I'm smart enough). I'm just working towards a BS in microbiology, and maybe I can be of some sort of assistance to those who are smarter than me.

PS, you really need to do well in general bio and general chem, as those are probably some of the easiest you'll take as a bio or pre-med major.

Just manage your time well, and don't make excuses and you should be fine.

>> No.5132969

Med school is all about memorization. Professors couldn't care less if you understand the subject, as long as you've memorized the shit out of it. School is boring as fuck, but hospital time is fun; when you don't have to suck up to menstruating nurses and faggot attendings that is. Good luck!

>> No.5133128

what do /sci/. I love chemistry and mol bio, want to do research, but also wan to go to med school.
In my biology club (which might as well be med club) everyone is complaining that some one fucked up the curve for both the bio and chem tests. Of course it was me with a high 90s on both, Im not even bragging its just freaking bio 1 and chem 1. I'm more pointing out that these people can't handle definitions (bio) and what amounts to simple algebra (conversions of moles and whatnot in chem).

Currently reading and studying org chem because bio 1 doesn't give the whole story on certain reactions.

>> No.5133180
File: 53 KB, 506x337, Man-Laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5130782
>>5130786
>>5130790

>> No.5133183
File: 5 KB, 150x150, UI-seal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5130858
Anything you can do, I can do better!

>> No.5133197

>>5133128
You'd be a good candidate for the M.D./Ph.D.
You become a physician scientist, researching for 70% of the time and teaching or healing the sick for the next 30%. It sounds like you're smart enough. You have to get a 3.78 on average plus be jesus tho

>> No.5133205

>>5133197
thanks, ill keep my options open

>> No.5133213
File: 87 KB, 960x720, try-not.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i'm a college freshman like OP, so far planning on
going to medical school after I get my degree.

can anyone tell me what the life of a doctor is like after medical school? if one wished to pursue other fields of science such as physics, would i be able to?

I'm asking because i have a love for chemistry and physics but i'm not sure about the possibilities of a career in those fields

>> No.5133236

>>5133213
I feel like your options are gonna be better with physics or chemistry. Medicine seems pretty overcrowded.

>> No.5133261

>>5133236
thanks for the response

my current major is chemistry, and i've never taken a physics course but i've read a ton of stuff about the more abstract theories and physical cosmology is pretty fucking awesome. does anyone here suggest changing majors to physics? because medical research sounds fine, but it seems almost loathsome next to theoretical physics or quantum mechanics

>> No.5133269

>>5133261
I wouldnt change. You do interesting research in chem and you can land a job. Not interested in medicine? then switch. Interested in medicine or chem related things? Stay

>> No.5133282

>>5133261
No one can really make that decision for you, but you might want to start out with something like MIT's physics lectures and see how you like them.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/
Or try others, like the ones from Yale, both have their merits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOKnWaLiL8w&list=ECFE3074A4CB751B2B&feature=plcp
Also, I don't know anything about how it is in the US so you'll definitely want to wait for other people to chip in.

>> No.5133332

How do you guys find scholarships? In my sophomore year of university and have yet to get any, despite having a 3.90 GPA in engineering/mathematics. I admit I'm a bit lazy, but a lot of scholarships seem like gimmicks. Also thinking of doing medicine instead of engineering job, I just signed up to volunteer at a hospital, hopefully will meet some doctors there I can shadow.

But anyway, tips for scholarships? Any websites you guys suggest?

>> No.5133361

>>5133332
Ask your school dude, people get paid to help prime candidates like you.
Im a sophmore in your same situation. looking for study abroad scholarships, better volunteer opportunities, and eventually my foot in the door for an internship.

>> No.5133380

>>5133361

When I go to the motherfucking scholarship/student aid office, the guy basically tells me "your family income is too high" and hands me a fucking sheet with a bunch of gimmick scholarship websites on it (you know the type, basically sweepstakes or "type a paragraph for a chance to $1000!" which sound totally fake)

>> No.5133388

>>5133269
>>5133282
thanks, i'll watch those lectures. when i made the decision to go with chemistry and medicine over physics, it was because i feared that i couldn't land a job (because it seemed to me like there was hardly any marketability in theoretical physics and the like).

now medicine sounds a lot like law school to me, a lot of rote and a little comprehension.
that, combined with the dependency on recommendations and "knowing people", my impression of medical students and professionals has somewhat diminished...

since i feel like i have a true passion for science, i think i'm going to switch to physics or stay non-med chemistry.

can anyone tell me about what it is like to change majors? is it best to finish up a year or to begin at the next semester?

>> No.5133396

>>5133380
Are you involved in research? Any university worth it's salt has or is affiliated with a program that offers some kind of summer research scholarship. I managed to get a $3,500 summer scholarship with my wee 3.62 'cause I was an extremely active undergrad researcher.

If you're not in research already, you won't get one, though. If you're fresh/soph, get in research and aim to get one of these this upcoming summer.