[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 23 KB, 505x364, console-10[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5122516 No.5122516 [Reply] [Original]

Colors are lies.
We see the "color" of an object because the object absorbed all the other colors and reflects the one which we perceive.

So how do we find out the real color of an object then!?

>> No.5122519

Yay for debating the meaning of words!

>> No.5122525

>>5122516
wat the fuck is "real color"?

>> No.5122533

>>5122516
What color does something have when you don't look at it? It's in a superposition of all colors. Think of it like Schrodinger's cat.

>> No.5122564

>So how do we find out the real color of an object then!?
There is no real color. Everything might as well be a shade of grey in reality for all the difference it makes to us.

>> No.5122581

It's all subjective, of course. We use standard terms for color based on human perception so we can describe an object from a common frame of reference, without getting too complicated. To really describe the color of an object in reductionistic terms, we would have to measure which wavelengths it reflects off its surface, then write down the range. Then, of course, we'd have to go beyond the visible spectrum, so instead of a simple description: "The leaf is green," you'd have a paragraph or a page with tables and graphs, useful to the scientist who needs the information, but otherwise a waste of time for the average person.

>> No.5122588

If the color we see is only due to light scattering off an object then simply remove the light and you have the real color.

Everything is black.

>> No.5122591

What if somebody has a much cooler perception of colour than I do? WHAT IF THAT'S WHY PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT FAVOURITE COLOURS? WHAT IF THE BEST COLOUR BLUE IS INTERPRETED AS DIFFERENT COLOURS ALL AROUND THE GLOBE, BUT OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING EVERY SINGLE PERSON LOVES THE COLOUR BLUE?

>> No.5122594

>>5122533

If a tree fell on you in a forest, and nobody was around to hear you scream....

would anyone give a shit?

>> No.5122598

>>5122516

That's what the "real color" of something is.

>> No.5123270

>>5122516
>real color
>am i even on /sci/ anymore

Color is subjective.

If AnonA has protanomalous color blindness and AnonB sees the world as someone with normal, human eyes, Anon and AnonB will both point to a red cloth and say "that is red", but if AnonB saw through lenses that gave him protanomalous color blindness, he would point at what AnonA called red and say that it is dark chartreuse.

>> No.5123352
File: 87 KB, 536x528, OhYou.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5122591
>BUT OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING EVERY SINGLE PERSON LOVES THE COLOUR BLUE?

My favourite colour is black, from which light is not reflected. Boom, there goes your Hypothesis.

>> No.5123377

>>5123352
Well, he asked for favorite colour
Black is not a colour
Try again

>> No.5123393

>>5123377
Then why are black people sometimes referred to as "colored"? Your dubdubs can't explain that.

>> No.5123395

>>5123352
But black is an experience created by your brain just like all the other colors are. If someone else perceived black as red and vise versa you'd be none the wiser. Why do you see black when there is no light? That is just the way you respond to a lack of visual stimulus. It's still not an objective reality.

But it's unlikely that people with working color vision experience anything more than a minor variation in the perception of colors, since we all have the same physiology. I'm just saying that doesn't discredit the other guy's hypothesis.

>> No.5123403

>>5123352
>my favorite color is black

SO DARK AND EDGY

>> No.5123406

>>5123377
>Black is not a colour

It is to non-douchebags.

>Try again

Sure!

A tie between RGB (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0) and (0, 0, 1), I suppose.

>> No.5123412

>>5123377
Black is the color you perceive in the absence of visible light.
Electromagnetic radiation has no fucking color. It has frequencies. Different frequencies in a limited range of the spectrum lead to the perception of different colors.

If you really don't understand the difference, then you must think that all light outside of the visible spectrum is black.

This board is full of fucking adolescents and shit-tier undergrads who think they understand the universe yet have never had any deeper thoughts about anything related to it.

>> No.5123422

>>5123395
>If someone else perceived black as red and vise versa you'd be none the wiser. Why do you see black when there is no light? That is just the way you respond to a lack of visual stimulus.
>I'm just saying that doesn't discredit the other guy's hypothesis.

His point was that a slight difference in perception of colours was what caused people to have different favourites to his favourite (Blue). I brought up a case where-in-which that would be impossible: The absence of light being reflected (no deviation). It doesn't particularly matter how the brain processes that and decides to represent it internally.

Also it was a joke.

>But it's unlikely that people with working color vision experience anything more than a minor variation in the perception of colors, since we all have the same physiology.

I have a miniscule difference in hue between my eyes. Trust me, I don't claim colour is an intrinsic property at all, it's the opposite. Just brains making useful demarcations for physical phenomena.

>> No.5123469

>third color thread I've had to reply to

Colors are wavelengths, energy, emitted by electrons falling to their ground states after being excited by photons.

Just close off all your orifices and shout "QUALIA!" if you want to find out what things really are.

>> No.5123480

time to shift this thread in a new direction.

Pink isn't a colour
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2112339/Sorry-girls-colour-pink-doesnt-exist-just-pig
ment-imagination.html

>> No.5123506

>>5123469
>Colors are wavelengths, energy, emitted by electrons falling to their ground states after being excited by photons.

Ah, thanks. So what color are x-rays? Radio waves? UV? Gamma?

Photons have no fucking color. They have frequencies. If I modify your eyes to swap the red and green receptors in the retina while leaving the optical nerve connections as they are, your color perception will drastically change, yet the photons are the same.

You are wrong. You have been given a little bit of information and have failed to understand it correctly. You are an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

You are probably about 15 too. If you're older, then it's even worse.

>> No.5123515

What about blackbody radiation?
Wouldn't that technically be the objects true color? And by extension it's color would equal its temperature.

>> No.5123525

>>5123506

Uh.. Are you sure you didn't misread him? He seems to be agreeing with what you just said and actually mocking qualia. Calm down there, mate.

>> No.5123537

>>5123506
Tsk.

>> No.5123540

>>5123506
>So what color are x-rays? Radio waves? UV? Gamma?

I'll tell you when I can see them.

>> No.5123542

>>5123525
You've misread my post. The point is that there is no color associated with light as he claims. Those who mock "qualia" don't seem to understand it. Until the signal reaches the brain (inb4 brain/mind discussion), there is no color.

According to his logic, the color is intrinsically associated with each photon, yet it is clearly possible to change color perception without changing the photon. Color is therefore not an intrinsic function of the photon itself.

>> No.5123559

>>5123542
Isn't color determined by the excitation of the rods and whatnot in the eye?
They're just nerves. The brain separates them as colors just because. We defined colors. Before that we were still seeing the same stuff but it was pretty much just different levels of energy carried by the photon.

>> No.5123686

Color is a question of what abstract perception is associated with your electromagnetic array aka your eyes. When perceives a partially reflected electromagnetic emission. Of a source like the sun or another.

>> No.5123774
File: 80 KB, 412x416, 1310695961018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

colors are perceived through differences in frequency of emr
or in other words, colors are frequencies
objects aren't frequencies
object don't actually have color
no one really cares
op is a faggot

>> No.5123777

lel wtf? Why is this thread still up?