[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 33 KB, 320x260, Physics diagram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5120703 No.5120703 [Reply] [Original]

"A relief airplane is delivering a food package to a group of people stranded on a very small island. The island is too small for the plane to land on, and the only way to deliver the package is by dropping it. The airplane flies horizontally with constant speed of 220mph at an altitude of 950m . The positive x and y directions are defined in the figure. For all parts, assume that the "island" refers to the point at a distance D from the point at which the package is released, as shown in the figure. Ignore the height of this point above sea level. Assume that the acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.80m/s^2 .
After a package is ejected from the plane, how long will it take for it to reach sea level from the time it is ejected? Assume that the package, like the plane, has an initial velocity of 220mph in the horizontal direction.

i found the time to be 13.9 seconds, but i keep getting stuck with this part.

What is the speed v_f of the package when it hits the ground?
Express your answer numerically in miles per hour."

is tere a bro at there that can help me?

>> No.5120724

360 mph

>> No.5120726

>>5120703
can you ignore air friction?

>> No.5120732

>>5120726
yes you can ignore the air factor.

>> No.5120740

>>5120732
The speed at which it moves in the x direction and the speed it moves in the y direction are unrelated. As the object hits the ground, it will have obtained the maximum downward speed from gravity.

Can you solve it now?

>> No.5120742

Vy = Vyo + at

no initial velocity in the vertical direction so

Vy = at

Vy = (9.81) * t

if your t is right thats all you gotta do

>> No.5120749

>>5120740
so I shouldn't worry about the x component of the velocity at all? just worry about the velocity in the y. that makes sense...

>> No.5120755

>>5120742
ahh okay, thanks! you guys are awesome.

>> No.5120761

I havent been on /sci/ in ages and Im disgusted you people chose to help this guy with his extremely basic question. This shit would not stand when I used to browse here

>> No.5120765

>>5120761
thanks a lot. that makes me feel a lot better. it's unfortunate that not everyone can comprehend things as easily as others.

>> No.5120771

>>5120749
No, you do need to worry about the x component as well. If I shoot a bullet and the bullet takes 1 second to travel from my gun to you, it'll be falling in the y direction at 9.8 m/s, right? Now imagine if I took that same bullet and just dropped it on above you from a height such that it'll take 1 second to hit you, and thus will also be moving at 9.8m/s in the y direction.

one's going to hurt a hell of a lot more, right?

So the x component of velocity will still matter. What direction is your package accelerating in? Can you figure out the final velocity for both Vy and Vx?

>> No.5120793

>>5120761
When /sci/ was better, I wouldn't have. I view it as the lesser of two evils though, I'd prefer a culture of friendly helpful people that assist with basic topics than a culture of WHAT IF MOON HIT SUN? and POPSCI SUCKS EVERYONE IN MY CLASS IS DUMBER THAN ME and random /pol/ stuff. Primarily because I think the former will also be more likely to get educated people to stick around, as many of them like being helpful (just look at physics forums).

>>5120742
This isn't correct

>> No.5120803

>>5120765

dont take it personally, maybe the rules changed or something but homework posts used to be banned around here. People who posted homework problems would be shamed.

>> No.5120816

guise, guise

what are you doing to this guy, he asked for help, we should give him some

OP, tell me about the center of mass of the package. If it is not balanced properly it could cause the package to rotate which would change velocity.

also what is the delta y between the package and the altimeter?

>> No.5120817

>>5120793

I see your point, I left this board right around when everyone starting bashing biology, I didnt realize it had gotten worse since then. good to hear its gotten better