[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 186 KB, 1152x864, 162_suicide-booth_1152.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5101712 No.5101712 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /Sci/,

I like you guys. You might even say I think your the best part of 4chan so I am going to make my rant here. I was watching futurama last night and a curious thought came to my mind about the suicide booth. What if they were actually real and how much good it will do for society. You always hear on forums ppl talkin bout suicide and other ppl yelling that they dont have the balls or convincing them not to do it. Well with the suicide booths, ppl that are actually considering suicide can actually do it without any surprises with family or friends finding a horrific dead body and that person at ease. Then all the attention grabbers can shut the fuck up cause they now have an option. By the way personally I believe that people have the right to kick the bucket if they so choose so. What do you think /sci/ and to make this more science and math concept what will be the best design for so such said booth?

P.S. Sorry for grammer and spelling mistakes lol little tire

>> No.5101884

I am not entirely sure how this relates to math and science, could you make that more clear?

>> No.5102795

Well, suicide is illegal in my country... BTW /sco/

>> No.5102798

Take this to
>>>/soc/
>>>/pol/
>>>/diy/
>>>/phi/

>> No.5102803

>>5102795
>suicide is illegal in my country

what's the punishment?

>> No.5102804

>>5102803
being anally raped by 10 bears a day for 1000 years.

>> No.5102805

The guillotine is clean and quick. There's a reason why it was so popular.

>> No.5102812

>>5102805
clean-ish. And it was never a popular method of suicide.

>> No.5102814

>>5102805
quick-ish.

I remember reading once about a doctor who was guillotined and got his students to count the number of times he blinked after his head was severed. He kept going for 15 or so seconds.

>> No.5102827

>>5102814
Muscle reflexes.. there is 0% chance you notice anything after your head has been severed. You don't even feel your head falling.

>> No.5102832

>>5102827
This is a rather hard hypothesis to test. I can't say I know of anyone whose given an account of being decapitated.

>> No.5102873

>>5102827
>>5102832
>The following report was written by a Dr. Beaurieux, who experimented with the head of a condemned prisoner by the name of Henri Languille, on 28 June 1905:

>Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds. This phenomenon has been remarked by all those finding themselves in the same conditions as myself for observing what happens after the severing of the neck …
> I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased. […] It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: "Languille!" I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions – I insist advisedly on this peculiarity – but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts.
>Next Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with the sort of vague dull look without any expression, that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me. After several seconds, the eyelids closed again […].
>It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. Then there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement – and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead

>> No.5102874

>>5102803
first Psychiatric hospital, after that prison.

>> No.5102875

>>5102874
why would they send a dead person to a psychiatric hospital?

>> No.5102879

>>5102875
for great justice, obviously

>> No.5102880

>>5102873

That's all very well what the good doctor thinks he saw, but the blood pressure in the brain drops to almost zero basically instantly. There's pretty much no way to maintain consciousness in that state.

>> No.5102882

>>5102880
>implying you have to be consciousness for they eyes to move.

brain dead people sometimes follow nurses around with their eyes.

>> No.5102886

>>5102882
that just proves that consciousness is not vested in the brain. Dualism for all!!

>> No.5102892

The real reason why it is illegal in the United States to kill yourself is because you have a certain monetary value attached to your life. You are a source fo revenue for the country. The fed does not give half of a Planck-shit about you, only the revenue you produce over your lifetime.

You are worth more alive.

>> No.5102895

>>5102880
This so hard.

>> No.5102913

Anyways, decapitation is messy and probably painful. It's only advantage is being quick.

I think nitrogen asphyxiation would be a good solution.

You press the start button and it tells you to breath deeply and that your suicide will begin shortly.

Then it silently replaces the oxygen with nitrogen; you pass out without noticing anything and die in your sleep.

>> No.5102915

Think of all the drunk people who would get in one just for shits and giggles.

>> No.5102917

>A more recent account tells of an accidental decapitation in an automobile. In 1989, a U.S. Army veteran who served in the Korean war was riding in a taxi with a friend when it collided with a truck. The witness was pinned to his seat, and the friend was decapitated by the collision:

>"My friend’s head came to rest face up, and (from my angle) upside-down. As I watched, his mouth opened and closed no less than two times. The facial expressions he displayed were first of shock or confusion, followed by terror or grief. I cannot exaggerate and say that he was looking all around, but he did display ocular movement in that his eyes moved from me, to his body, and back to me. He had direct eye contact with me when his eyes took on a hazy, absent expression . . . and he was dead."

>> No.5102918

>>5102915
I just think making suicide too easy does no one any services.

Its not like suicide is particularly hard. Let's not make it something which is attractive to people after one bad day and a belt of whiskey .

>> No.5102931

>>5102895
>>5102880
>[...] obsolete rats were decapitated while recording the EEG, both of awake rats and of anesthetized rats. Following decapitation a fast and global loss of power of the EEG was observed; the power in the 13–100 Hz frequency band, expressing cognitive activity, decreased according to an exponential decay function to half the initial value within 4 seconds. [...] Remarkably, after 50 seconds (awake group) or 80 seconds (anesthetized group) following decapitation, a high amplitude slow wave was observed.
>It is concluded from this experimental work that consciousness is likely to vanish within some seconds after decapitation.

>> No.5102956

>>5102913
this

that's how i want to go.

>> No.5102969

>>5102956
Personally, I'd rather go out being burned alive, ideally for a heroic reason, but I'm not picky.

Mainly because I'm absolutely terrified of being burned alive, and I don't feel I should leave this world with anything still it in that scares me.

>> No.5102981

>>5102913
That does not sound like a bad idea, but people might choose it as a spur of the moment thing after a single bad day.
I think they should have to apply, and wait a week, and if they still want to go through with it, then they can.

>> No.5102984

Suicide is never a good solution. What a waste.

>> No.5102986

>>5102984
It is preferable to a life of suffering.
But I agree that it is usually a waste.

>> No.5102996

In my country, the charge for attempted suicide is a life sentence.

>> No.5103001

>>5102996
That's nothing, in my country its death

>> No.5103002

In my country, the charge for attempted suicide is the death penalty.

>> No.5103005

>>5103001
>>5103002
:3

>> No.5103019

The sole reason suicide is illegal is so it's legal to stop somebody from killing themselves, presumably when they're not in their right minds. There is no penalty for attempting suicide.

Realistically, it being illegal has never stopped anyone from killing themselves who was thinking clearly and genuinely wanted to do it. Killing yourself is not that hard.

Most suicide attempts, however, are not that. They are "cries for help." Hence, there is a legal mechanism to make sure that help can be provided.

>> No.5103046

>>5102875
Because suicide attempts never fail AMIRIGHT GUYS?