[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 220x293, d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5099680 No.5099680 [Reply] [Original]

this got me thinking

OK, considering the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed.

now, knowing this, lets say a ball is held by my hand. it has potential energy. i release the ball, and it falls with kinetic energy. (very simple exampe, but not the point.

so, doesnt this constitute that we have an unlimited source of energy in the universe? if everyone were to hold a ball and then drop it, this transformation of energy can be infinite.

we are not creating energy, but accessing it from a pool of infinity

discuss

>> No.5099682

There are so many things wrong with that post I don't know where to start.

>> No.5099683

>>5099680
ow. Your stupid has physically hurt me.

>> No.5099690

explain... dont just call me out fags

there is an unlimited amount of potential energy in the universe

>> No.5099695

>>5099690
You see, when you lift the ball you are actually investing your own energy in doing so

>> No.5099700

The gravitational potential is a conservative field. You can get energy by moving masses closer together, but there's no way to move them apart in order to get energy from moving them closer together again.

Well, except dark energy, which basically fucks up conservation of energy because it has constant energy density and it makes the universe itself expand at a constant rate, thereby moving objects outside of each others' potential wells.

But Newtonian gravity does conserve energy.