[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 490x292, 1348711127544[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5096149 No.5096149 [Reply] [Original]

Would evolution help explain why some people from a certain geographic area are smarter than others? Would diet and food availability play a part or would it be more genetic?

>> No.5096158

also education laws and weather

>> No.5096163

Sociology would better serve to answer that question, as it mostly depends on regional social constructs, values, availability of education and inherited trade/tradition.

If you would like to see the evolutionary impact, you'd mostly have to clear those other inhibiting factors out of the way first.

>> No.5096171

>>5096163
I disagree politely.
Protein does play a role in brain development, but I do agree that some cultures value different traits.
I would posit that those traits, which were probably selected for, are less useful in the modern world and therefore, by our standards, some people are dumber. Again, while I agree it is a societal judgement I would say that lack of proper protein and a relaible source of food may affect proper brain development and the ability to think critically.
The age of invention really began after we secured the sources of food maybe the lack of ready food hurt some "primitive" cultures.

>> No.5096181

bump