[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 302x334, 1327087409559.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5096065 No.5096065 [Reply] [Original]

I'm going for applied math + chemistry, and I was wondering which subject area is more useful for me:

Numerical analysis, PDEs, analysis, applied linear algebra, optimization, etc.

or

Automata theory, complexity theory, graph theory, type theory, combintorics, etc.

I'll have to do programming and data analysis (required courses) in both. What do you recommend?

>> No.5096073

The first

>> No.5096087

Whatever you do make sure to take group theory.

>> No.5096099

>>5096087
My major requires it, and I'm planning to take topology since I already took babby set theory that introduced analysis concepts and I found it interesting

I know group theory has a lot to do with chemistry, and the subjects above seem to be divided into physics and computer science, both of which are big in chemistry. I want to understand chemistry from both sides but I think I need to concentrate in one area. However, shouldn't it be better for an undergrad to get exposed in all these areas?

>> No.5096121

Pick one. You won't use more than calculus in chemistry, and you won't use any chemistry at all in math.

>> No.5096161

I covered all of the first "subject area" in my numerical computation class (burden&faires textbook) and all of the other in "theory of computation". they are both useful, but personally, I would recommend a third subject area which would be more like statistics, probability theory, data analysis, etc.

>> No.5096218

Out of your list PDE's and applied linear algebra would be very useful. As already mentioned group theory is extremely important. Basic probability theory also has it uses. This is of course assuming you are going to be going into some kind of physical chemistry, otherwise it doesn't really matter...