[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 25 KB, 325x396, Spock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5087649 No.5087649[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How does science justify illogical emotions?

For ever dozen atheists that preach logic I find only 1 that actually uses it consistently. Most just use science to justify no god but that is where they stop.

>> No.5087662

>>5087649
Humans aren't a very smart bunch.
Emotive beings, prone to anger and violence.
Just go listen to some ghetto blacks for an hour.

>> No.5087688

This may sound like spiritual bullshit, or a cliché at best, but it's not. Emotions are what make us human.

As a species we are very altruistic for our ploidy. Social haplodiploid insects share more genetic material with their siblings than with their offspring, and thus are genetically predisposed to be altruistic. Humans on the other hand are not directly, but we may increase our relative contribution to the genepool by aiding our siblings and even less closely related family members in producing offspring. Under such circumstances, emotional attachment can be beneficial to fitness. We have emotions because they helps us spread our genes. I imagine sexual selection plays a big part in this as well.

Other emotions such as anger and fear have a more ancient phylogenetic origin and are adaptations to aid survival directly.

>> No.5087696
File: 77 KB, 575x575, 1344733765290.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Humans are machines that run on feels.

>> No.5087729
File: 20 KB, 359x420, spock04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5087649 justify illogical emotions?
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end
- Spock

Do you expect someone to become emotionless or just ignore their emotions when making every decision in life? There are times to use emotions and times to use logic. Examples:

> Humans can't have evolved like dirty animals because my feelings tell me we're special.
Wrong.

> That person must be violent and untrustworthy because he's black and I feel scared of black people.
Wrong.

> Global warming must be a lie because I don't want to feel scared.
Wrong

> I don't feel fulfilled with my present job, I will find a new one where I am happier.
Right

> I feel empathy for that unfortunate person, I will help him.
Right

>> No.5088004

>>5087729
>Do you expect someone to become emotionless or just ignore their emotions when making every decision in life?

Why not? A world of pure logic would be better in general.