[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 448 KB, 900x905, 1218851090781.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5086886 No.5086886 [Reply] [Original]

Hypothetical time.

Let's say that a scientist has stumbled upon a method of inter-dimensional travel. The manner in which he DOES travel is irreverent; for the purpose of this problem, the act of traveling will place him in the closest analogue of the location from which he traveled from (i.e. leaving from New York will mean he arrives at that very same spot in another dimension's New York/area on Earth where New York would be.)

Now, assume that we live in an "omniverse"; a system in which there is a universe for every possibility (i.e. an infinite number of universes). What are the chances that the traveler will end up in a world that is exactly the same as the one he left (meaning that the difference between the two could be as small as a subatomic particle NOT appearing in the EXACT spot in did in the original universe) or one noticeably different?

>> No.5086893

i don't know, who cares

>> No.5086905

A very small chance, 1/Infinity.
Despite there being multiple systems which this could/would occur, according to your standards, this also means that other systems also have an infinity many likely chance to occur.

>> No.5086908

1. Count how many sub-atomic particles in the universe (number of possibilities)
2. times that by infinite
3.????
4. Infinite.

>> No.5086910

The odds are 1 to every possible universe exxisting in the omniverse, this number is still finite as the possibilites of what every human and alien do in one universe are still limited, the same with all actions that are based on the outcome of the actions before.

the number is huge, some would say infinite, IMHO it's not though

>> No.5086922

>>5086910
A good theory.
I'll be honest I'm not sure either, one can only hypothesize over Theoretics.

>> No.5086977

I feel like this is a combination of a "The Answer is 50/50" and "Crossing a Sea of Infinites"

>> No.5087436

>>5086886

very good questions that remain to be answered.

i hope we achieve this in our lifetime!

>> No.5087772

>>5086886

Can't you go anywhere? They had this in a movie, and it seemed pretty simple.

>> No.5088946

>>5086886
I would say the chance is 0, since he left the one universe he was originally in.

>> No.5088974

>>5086886
are you trying to ask us how to divide 1 by a countably infinite set
because that's cray cray

>> No.5089022

Is it possible for the traveler to end up in a world that is EXACTLY the same? (everything in the same spot) but is not the one he left from.