[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 16 KB, 300x308, Mirror.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5075814 No.5075814 [Reply] [Original]

What if you made a box with mirrors on the inside and shined light in it and closed it, then smashed the box like a flash bang, but without the bang.

>> No.5075816

Bunch of broken mirror on the ground.

>> No.5075841

>>5075816 is correct.
Even if you were fast enough to trap light inside this reflective box, standard mirrors are not 100% efficient at reflecting light.
A portion of the light trapped inside this box would be absorbed into the mirror as heat upon each reflection. Not much heat either.
Given the speed at which light travels, the energy would be absorbed almost instantaneously for a mirror box that is the same size as the mirror in OP's image.

Could someone do the calculations for time until the light is gone, and temperature increase please? I only did physics to pre-university levels, I'm a biologist, not a physicist. I'm assuming a 1m * 0.6m * 0.6m box, based on OP's image, and possibly a reflection efficiency of around 85% (I know, standard mirrors are nowhere near this efficient)