[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 200x275, oppenheimer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5064668 No.5064668 [Reply] [Original]

OK /sci/ I am currently a freshman at Villanova (Yeah I know amerifag) and the time to declare a major is drawing near. The dilemma is that i cannot decide whether I want to major in Theoretical Physics or Electrical Engineering. Now in HS I loved and succeeded in both physics and AP physics. I aced both classes with ease and enjoyed them thoroughly. The thing is it seems like to succeed in physics you have to be some sort of prodigy instead of just very skilled at physics. Is this true? Or can a great but not prodigal student make it in the field. Would Electrical engineering be a safer bet considering the large demand?
TL;DR If I am not a prodigy at physics can i still succeed in the field of theoretical physics?
Pic somewhat related, Its my favorite theoretical physicist.

>> No.5064675
File: 2.63 MB, 256x256, 4th+dimension.+just+found+NOT+OC_088642_3304582.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.5064681

>>5064668
>Is this true?
That depends on your definition of "succeed".

>EE
Obviously a safer bet, yes, basically I'd recommend you do EE if you're currently older than 17.

>> No.5064688

>>5064681
Thats what i was thinking in terms of a safer choice to land a job research oriented or private sector.

>> No.5064702

>>5064688
I'd recommend EE because most people are capable of having an interesting career with a comfortable salary in EE, with theoretical physics you'll be working your ass of and praying to Newton that you'll at least get a low-paying tenured position at some shitty uni. Of course, if you're a genius it might be a different story, but trust me, if you're reading this; you aren't.