[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 102 KB, 400x576, you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5057217 No.5057217 [Reply] [Original]

Why is it that High School/College students see engineers as some form of pseudo physicists?

They basicly read the same shit. And lots of engineers have contributed to Physics, like James Watts and Tesla who have units named after them.

It's not like these kids in High School/College know real physics.

>> No.5057222

>>5057217

That's more a /sci/ specific thing. And the reason is crippling insecurity. We convince ourselves we made good choices by pretending everyone else made bad choices.

>> No.5057229

Engineering is less about discovery, observation, and the scientific method than it is about application towards achieving some goal.

Engineering takes sciences great discoveries and utilizes them for a purpose. Scientists/physicists like jacking off about how awesome the universe is but would rather not see their work put to any use aside from "understanding it all".

>> No.5057236

>>5057229

(This doesn't invalidate anything scientists or physicists do, but it's at least partially true.)

>> No.5057240

It's because they're jealous they didn't get that 300k starting.

>> No.5057251

>>5057222

OP must be subtly implying /sci/ is full of high school kids and undergrad freshmen.

And he's right.

>> No.5057257

because engineers are illiterate peasants.

>> No.5057268

Engineers in general are not scientists. They make use of science, but simply using scientific principles to design something is not the same thing as discovering those principles in the first place.

>> No.5057272

Because Big Bang Theory.

>> No.5057273

>>5057268

>Engineers in general are not scientists. They make use of science, but simply using scientific principles to design something is not the same thing as discovering those principles in the first place.

Engineers discover things too. Like radio waves...

And what about 99% of the other Phycists like the ones that have to become High School teachers? Do they discover shit? Or are they real scientists?

>> No.5057284

>>5057273

Having a physics degree does not make you a physicist.

>> No.5057288

>>5057284
well not a bachelors, but a graduate degree does.

>> No.5057293
File: 38 KB, 400x300, Cera Bateman Woodblock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5057284
What does?

>> No.5057365

>>5057293

working as a physicist

>> No.5057371

ITT: Pointless categorization that doesn't help anyone and misses the big picture of what a career actually is

>> No.5057373
File: 118 KB, 407x484, wolfenheim_nope[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

engineer vs scientist thread

>> No.5057474

i make more money as a nuclear engineer,
i win

>> No.5057528

I have absolutely no problem with engineers. Engineers do work in areas, inaccessible to most physicists, that are very interesting and important. They have their own approaches to problems, and they make really cool stuff. I only dislike a lot of undergrad engineering students who don't know what the fuck they're learning about. This seems to be more prevalent in an engineering major than in a hard science major. At an average engineering college, there are students who carry a HS mentality and fail a bunch of tests which test knowledge which is critical for understanding concepts, and so they graduate without ever understanding how to do these things. If they try and have interest, I have some respect for them. However, there are lazy students who just go, "Ugh, I hate this stuff, I'm just doing this degree to show I'm better than liberal arts students" and their attitude is sickening.

>> No.5057558

I don't know why the vast majority of people actually think that.

Engineers within academia border on being physicists and many that I have known work with theoretical/applied physicists on a daily basis. Perhaps the ones in the field do some of the grunge work, but several Engineering professors at my University have published research within the field of Physics.

One of my former professors actually published something in the field of Differential Geometry. Pure theory.

>> No.5057573

>>5057558
I think the problem is precisely that engineers seem to think they are scientists just by getting a bachelors. I think physicists with a bachelors are just as bad, but people who only get a bachelors in physics aren't under the illusion that they are real scientists.