[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 394x340, 1344976940348.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5052890 No.5052890 [Reply] [Original]

Do you think science is reserved for the gifted? Can hard work make up for a lack of natural ability?

I'm a curious person, but I'm afraid I lack the intelligence to pursue something like chemistry.

>> No.5052894

Natural talent plus a willingness to learn will generally trump a willingness to learn that lacks natural talent. it all depends on what you wish to accomplish. Do you want to be some prize-winning physicist? Well too bad, because barely anyone does even if they are very well-gifted and hardworking. If you just want to engage yourself in the scientific field for interest and personal improvement's sake, there's no reason you can't do well

>> No.5052898

>chemistry
>intelligence

Jokes aside, you probably are smart enough for chemistry, give it a shot and study hard, you can always change major.

>> No.5052901

>>5052890
At what level are you trying to pursue science? Everything in the undergraduate curriculum can be beaten with practice/studying, self discipline and hard work.

The real need for brilliance comes when you want to conduct original research.

>> No.5052980

Yeah I am interested in science and how the world works, but I don't feel very smart. Not op

>> No.5053013

>>5052901
no, research is open to many people, you're not supposed to give birth to ground-breaking discoveries. There is plenty of interrogations that are unanswered and that just wait there for someone to go and look at what's really happening. These things don't require any "natural talent" apart from not being retarded.

>> No.5053653

Bump.

>> No.5053655

your confusing intelligence with dedication.
a retard can learn chemistry given enough time and effort.