[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 45 KB, 550x339, university.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5035102 No.5035102[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

why do people take studying to seriously? imma my second year full-time student at college, and right now 23 years old.
ill be honest: ive been drunk for almost every day for past 2 years. all thanks to college. ive been partying hard, banged a lot of women, getting arrested for stupid shit, and eventually participating in lectures while totally hangovering and/or drunk. and guys: i dont regret it. im having a good time. shitloads of fun and shit going on every day. i live in an apartment next to my school with my comrade together whom i rent it. and we PARTY HARD !! i dont give a fuck what my neighbors think, nor do i give a fuck what my parents think. i think they are hooked onto this old model that "be a good boy, study hard, and youll have success". well fuck me, i aint gonna waste my youth. im sure as hell ill finish my school *almost* on time, and get a better-than-average job afterwards. yeah, i flipped burgers, i did some IT-related bullshit, even was a bartender once. i hated all of these jobs. they brought me back being a jobless but full of joy and wasted all the time. still am. feelsgreatman

>> No.5035115

>get a better-than-average job
if you are very lucky. some people actually study to learn things to get good jobs instead of just slightly-above-average-jobs.

>ive been drunk for almost every day
good for you. if thats the only way you can be happy, go for it. some people have more in their life to keep them happy though.

>> No.5035118

>>5035102
Tons of people do both. I'm at an ivy league and the students here study hard and party hard. The people who can't manage both (due to lack of self control, brains and willpower) and can't accept the fact that they're fucking failures say stupid shit like "Uh, I don't regret partying, cause studying is dumb!"

Face it, you're a goddamn failure and people like you are scum of the earth.

>> No.5035121

Sociology must be one hell of a hard science, isn't it, OP?

>> No.5035153

godspeed op
as long as your indulgences don't get in the way of your goals i don't see the harm in them

>> No.5035154

op here

imma law school student. shits crazy tbh, but nothing overwhelming. if youre gifted with a little bit of logical thikning, social engineering/exploiting skills, youre good for it

>> No.5035156

>sophomore
>23 years old

someone shore ain't a bright one

>> No.5035162

>>5035115
> if thats the only way you can be happy, go for it. some people have more in their life to keep them happy though
he never said that's all he has to be happy about. he's just definitely enjoying his time in college. Alcohol is just the most common way of doing that. I think too many people forget to actually have fun in college.

>> No.5035166

>>5035156

its a night study (6 pm to 22-23:00), the average age in my course is 28. i think most parents dont have the moneiz for this school for ther pupils

>> No.5035167

>>5035156
*Sure
Mature students aren't necessarily any less intelligent than their younger counterparts.

>> No.5035170

>>5035162
University is for learning, not for having fun. If learning alone isn't fun enough, you're free to drop out. Shallow entertainments are for retards and plebs. Anti-intellectualism does not belong on /sci/.

>> No.5035176

When you are paying off student loans I doubt you will have the same attitude. My schedule has always been study during the week, party on weekend

>> No.5035177

>>5035170
this

>> No.5035180

>>5035170
>University is for learning, not for having fun
It's not about having fun in university, it's having fun during your time there. it's not like he's acting like an idiot in lab cause he's bored.
> If learning alone isn't fun enough, you're free to drop out
how does that follow? I can manage both just fine. having fun isn't a sin moron.
>Shallow entertainments are for retards and plebs.
no, they're for anyone who isn't autistic. Again, what is wrong with having fun? my guess is you are probably too damn awkward to be able to partake in activities with normal people, and try to make yourself feel better by claiming it's beneath you.

>> No.5035181

>>5035170
not to be disrespective, but intellectualism and 4chan dont go hand in hand. its a harsh but true fact. i come here for some good laughter, but nothing more, not to mention anything "intellectual".

>> No.5035191

>>5035180
>it's having fun during your time there.
The time in university is dedicated to learning.
>it's not like he's acting like an idiot in lab cause he's bored.
He goes drunk to his classes.
>how does that follow? I can manage both just fine. having fun isn't a sin moron.
They are mutually exclusive. You must be in a shit tier college.
>no, they're for anyone who isn't autistic.
No, they are for anyone who isn't intellectual. As I said: plebs and retards.
>Again, what is wrong with having fun?
Do I have to repeat myself?

>> No.5035198

>>5035181
Go back to /fit/ or /sp/ or wherever you came from. /sci/ is for intellectuals.

>> No.5035202

>>5035191
>>5035191
you're a real stick in the mud you know that?
you probably never get invited anywhere

>> No.5035211

>>5035191
>The time in university is dedicated to learning.
not your whole life while you're there though. should you be learning while you're working too? or while you're on 4chan? Obviously there's a time for different things. there is such a thing as free time. if you're not in class or studying, you can do whatever you want and still be a good student.
>He goes drunk to his classes
Hungover*
and my point was that he is still using class time to learn, not to have fun during class.
>They are mutually exclusive. You must be in a shit tier college
no they are not. you must be stupid if you can't handle both. and i go to duke.
>No, they are for anyone who isn't intellectual.
saying it doesn't make it so.
>Do I have to repeat myself?
No, i already explained why those points were wrong. make a different point if you want, otherwise go 'way.
I'll repeat it so you don't avoid the question again, what is wrong with having fun if it doesn't negatively affect your schooling?

>> No.5035217

>>5035202
>wanting to be invited somewhere
chimps go to >>>/fit/
don't come back retard

>> No.5035222

>>5035211
>there's a time for different things
yes, getting drunk on a Saturday night is fine. being drunk the whole time is not.

>> No.5035230
File: 177 KB, 600x400, 87676.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5035102

>mfw brainiacs getting trolled by a shit tier /b/ troll.

>> No.5035231

>>5035202
Why would I want to get invited to anti-intellectual activities?

>>5035211
>not your whole life while you're there though. should you be learning while you're working too? or while you're on 4chan?
Yes
>Obviously there's a time for different things. there is such a thing as free time.
No
>if you're not in class or studying, you can do whatever you want and still be a good student.
By engaging in anti-intellectualism you destroy your intelligence.
>and my point was that he is still using class time to learn, not to have fun during class.
He can't learn properly while being drunk.
>no they are not. you must be stupid if you can't handle both. and i go to duke.
Pleb detected. And most likely retarded.
>saying it doesn't make it so.
Just stating obvious truths.
>No, i already explained why those points were wrong
You didn't even understand the points. I guess you can't even read properly.
>what is wrong with having fun if it doesn't negatively affect your schooling?
Anti-intellectualism is always despicable.

>> No.5035233

>>5035222
I never said it was. that guy was saying it is never okay to party though, which is what i disagreed with.

>> No.5035234

>>5035230
>it's my first day on /sci/ xD

>> No.5035241

>>5035118
Do you really think it's *impossible* for somebody to genuinely dislike partying? Or perhaps just enjoy it less than studying with the people they're at college with.

>> No.5035257

really? i should be studying while i'm at work too? do you honestly not realize a person can have more than one thing going on in his life at a time?
>By engaging in anti-intellectualism you destroy your intelligence.
fun =/= anti-intellectualism. are you saying life should be completely devoid of enjoyment?
>He can't learn properly while being drunk
he's not drunk in class. I've already corrected this once, you must have bad short-term memory.
>Pleb detected. And most likely retarded.
You're the one who has so much trouble learning material that you apparently have no free time, who's the real retard here? also, what university do YOU go to.
>Just stating obvious truths.
saying it's the truth doesn't make it so either.
>You didn't even understand the points. I guess you can't even read properly
understood them perfectly. tell me what i understood wrong if i indeed did. simply telling me i'm wrong is what children do.
>Anti-intellectualism is always despicable.
again, fun =/= anti-intellectualism. You have a hard reading or something? anyways, i don't have time to argue with a social retard trying to justify his misery. If you really believed what you said, shouldn't you also be leaving 4chan right now?

>> No.5035258

>>5035217
>>5035217
there must be people that have the same goals as you but do better in your classes while taking it less serious, oh and are also more accomplished in their intellectual interests

maybe set the bar a little higher

>> No.5035268

>>5035257
>retarded freshman arts student detected

>> No.5035273

>>5035257
>really? i should be studying while i'm at work too?
If your job is not intellectually stimulating, it's shit tier.
>fun =/= anti-intellectualism. are you saying life should be completely devoid of enjoyment?
Enjoyment is an animalic evolutionary relict we need to get rid of.
>he's not drunk in class.
Your reading comprehension is bad. He said it himself in the OP.
>You're the one who has so much trouble learning material that you apparently have no free time
I do not have any trouble. I am learning way ahead of my classes. I am definitely more intelligent than you.
>saying it's the truth doesn't make it so either.
I don't need to "make" it the truth because it already is.
>understood them perfectly
Apparently not.
>If you really believed what you said, shouldn't you also be leaving 4chan right now?
You are the one who should leave. You bring anti-intellectualism to /sci/.

>> No.5035314

>>5035273
Not him, but the problem I'm seeing here is that you want intellectualism for its own sake and nothing more.

You speak of constantly learning and studying ahead in your classes, but this is basically wasted time. Nothing you gain by being ahead is gong to yield any useful scientific progress, its just going to slightly increase a grade in a class that will have little to no bearing on whatever you do end up researching.

All you end up doing is not enjoying yourself for no benifit during one of the last times in your life you will have the freedom to do so.

>> No.5035333

>>5035102
Uh... Is this a copypasta? Troll?

Wait a few years OP. You're obviously very immature and consequences will all be clear once you get out of your drunken haze.

>> No.5035339

>>5035102
OP, enjoy being a homo erectus that contributes nothing to science or society. Your death will bring no grief to anyone and may even bring joy to some.

>> No.5035346

>>5035314
>that you want intellectualism for its own sake and nothing more.
That's what intellectualism is about.
>but this is basically wasted time
It's the only acceptable way of wasting time.
>Nothing you gain by being ahead is gong to yield any useful scientific progress
Education is the most important prerequisite for scientific progress. Being a drunken dumbass is less likely to yield scientific progress.
>its just going to slightly increase a grade in a class
You can't increase straight A's anymore.
>All you end up doing is not enjoying yourself
As I said "enjoyment" is outdated pleb tier nonsense.
>you will have the freedom to do so.
Are you implying free will? Don't make me laugh.

>> No.5035363

>>5035346
you describe thx:1138 here. is this the society youd like to live in? if so, north korea (pyongyang more specifically) is the closest you can get: hard work, presumably educating yourself for the "good" (regime), and everything else is moot

>> No.5035365

>>5035273
SO MUCH AUTISM

>> No.5035376

>>5035346
>you describe thx:1138 here
As an intellectual I do not watch low tier entertainment sci fi movies.
>north korea (pyongyang more specifically) is the closest you can get
Closest to what? I can be an intellectual wherever I want. Haters gonna hate.

>> No.5035381

ITT:
Educated people who are envy of people who get pussy and people who get pussy who are envy of people who have education.

>> No.5035386

>>5035346
Point 1 is untrue

Point 2 is baseless opinion

Point 3 is A weak justification, especially since rather than wasting time on directionless education could easily be replaced by actual research or experimentation.

Point 4 and 5 are obvious troll attempts

Point 6 is hilarious because it stands in direct contradiction of your assertions of superiority. Without free will claiming that others ate foolish for enjoying themselves is rediculous. It's not like we could choose to do otherwise.

>> No.5035391

why do people take studying to seriously?

because you seem like a goddamn retard
i read one sentence
it's "too" think of it like there are too many o's
otherwise you're probably just too stupid or 2kewl to recognise people struggling to achieve passing marks
(passing marks required for degree and hence life not flipping burgers)

>> No.5035405

>>5035386
>Point 1 is untrue
Why? If you can't explain it, you're wrong.
>Point 2 is baseless opinion
Your anti-intellectualism is showing.
>Point 3 is A weak justification
It's a strong and irrefutable justification.
>Point 4 and 5 are obvious troll attempts
They are both true. No trolling in here.
>Point 6 is hilarious because it stands in direct contradiction
No contradiction. You're making up shit.

>> No.5035413

all i can say is h8ers gonna hate
my life:
sophomore, jobless, 23, quite tall (6'3"), have enough money to party all the time, parents angry (still giving me lots of money), have a nice girl (for a moment), doing coke while getting sucked, have good connections for better success in the future, go to expensive law school, rent an apartment with my buddy (5-room and a pool), drive a fancy car (2008 mercedes cl500). fuck im good.

>> No.5035416

>>5035413
Why would anyone do this? Going on the internet and telling lies?

>> No.5035468

>>5035405
Point 1 is correct, no trolling in here.

Point 2 my opinion is strong and irrefutable.

Point 3 Why? If you can't prove it, it is intrue.

Point 6 your anti intellectualism is showing.

>> No.5035474

I think OP has a point even if he's being facetious.

In my experience, college is a babysitter. Teens get out of high-school had usually aren't sure what they want to do. They either go to school and regret it and switch majors or they stick with it and their career isn't what they thought.

But it is a way to waste time while not appearing to waste time. Parents will pay for their kids to go party with lectures in between keggers. And they do enough to get by. And at the end of the 4 years, they still aren't sure what they want to do. There not really in much of a better place than when they graduated high-school. They just have a $100k piece of paper that says they slept during some lectures for four years.

THAT'S why college graduates have a hard time getting employment. They're told if they go to daycare and be good, they'll get everything they've ever wanted when they get back.

If people would decide what they wanted to do early on, get out in the real world and actually experience things so they can figure it out, it would be a great benefit. And they should be looking for a job from day one of college. Pick up a phone and call these places that hire graduates, see what they're like. See what they require. Make connections. Tour facilities and intern. Don't just sit on your ass and act like a diploma is a promise of employment.

>> No.5035481

>>5035211

>I go to Duke

I'm thinking of applying. How is their science department?

>> No.5035483

>>5035481
It must be shit, if it allows people to attend the classes while drunk.

>> No.5035491

>>5035483

He's probably majoring in a brofield like business management, communications, sports therapy, turf management or economics.

>> No.5035503

>>5035241
Been to several parties last year. Most of the time I just ended up being bored out of my mind.

Seriously it's no fun being around people who pretend like they're drunk after a few drinks and act like retards (and not even the funny kind, just annoying retards). I partially blame this on my above average alcohol tolerance, I just can't seem to get wasted no matter how much I drink.

>> No.5035523

I don't think you'll have a degree, or at least not a good one, please enjoy your cirrhosis.

>> No.5035529

>>5035503
naww you're probably just a really boring/insecure guy. the parties wouldn't have wanted you there anyways.

>> No.5035534

>>5035529
If "boring/insecure" is the only option apart from being an asshole, then I'd prefer to be "boring/insecure".

>> No.5035547

The entire basis of modern civilization is founded on people who "took studying too seriously".

I don't give a fuck how you live your life. But don't criticize people who have an actual interest in advancing the world and making discoveries.

>> No.5035557

>>5035547
no it wasn't you moron. formal education obviously had to come about after civilization did. Even then, it was mostly arts for a while. science is not that old.

>> No.5035560

>>5035557

>modern civilization

>hurr reading is hard