[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 283 KB, 639x771, genetics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5024442 No.5024442 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, I'm interested in bioinformatics.

I'm an undergrad studying marine bio, currently in my junior year. I've always enjoyed biology, and thought it might make a good career, but my first two years in college made me doubt myself. I simply wasn't enjoying the subject material.

I've always enjoyed working with computers. Messed around with BASIC when I was 8. Took a python course in high school (and got kicked out when I spent all my time trying to get around the internet filters because I was always so far ahead of the plebs that I got bored). Took a C++ course last year and enjoyed it, though the teacher wasn't the best. I wanted to go for an IT-related major, but at the time my parents basically told me that I wouldn't receive any financial support from them (because they think my interest with computers is nothing but HURR, I LIKE VIDEO GAMES). So I went for the bio major. Boredom and (at-the-time undiagnosed) ADHD led to mediocre grades, far below what I should have gotten (and not even a 98 in the C++ class could get my parents to recognize what I should be doing).

Over the summer, while I was working and lurking /g/, I decided to ask my fellow /g/entlemen what might be a good career path to look at in my current situation. One of them said bioinformatics. What I saw when I looked it up looked great - I think it would be right up my alley. I'd at least like to check it out. The problem is... well, I don't know where to start. I don't know what skills I need, what I should be looking at. I don't know how to break in. I hardly even know exactly what I'm looking at, except that it's a lot more appealing simply by virtue of using my favored skillset far more than anything I've done in college or seen for internships.

So /sci/, wat do? Where can I take this interest? How do I find out what it's like, what I need, and where I can go?

>> No.5024460

I know nothing about bioinformatics OP but I liked your story. Do you know the college you will be in?

>> No.5024572

Are you sure that you want to do bioinformatics? You don't seem to like biology.

The CS job market is really good in the US right now. I would just apply for software engineering jobs.

>> No.5024658

Have you taken any chemistry classes yet? If you're interested in mathematics then you should probably delve into biochem or chemistry, and then work your way into bioinformatics in grad school if you're sure you'd want to go down that path. There would be portions of the field which would need CS knowledge, but you shouldn't depend on it. If your heart lies in CS then just convince your parents of it.

>> No.5024725

I think I remember you, OP. If you want to go into IT, you should do it. If you've decided on bioinformatics, you might have to go back to college to get a worthwhile job before you're 60. I don't have any substantial advice but I wish you luck.

>> No.5024748

You'll need a very good compsci background for bioinformatics. you'll also need a solid knowledge of genetics and molecular biology techniques. It's an interesting field with plenty of room to grow. I say go for it. I briefly considered it, but I like being in the lab more than processing data.

>> No.5024758

>>5024748
as for where you need to go and how you can see what it's like: search for bioinformatics on Google Scholar and check out what's being researched and who's doing the research. Also, check out the Protein Database - I did some work with it in a compsci class I took last year. I can't really suggest more than that, though.

>> No.5024891

My sister's boyfriend just completed a masters in bioinformatics. He used Python to model hybrid vigour, using Boolean logic to represent gene expression (obviously a huge oversimplification which takes into account neither extent of gene expression nor kinetics, but it lay down the foundations for more complex models). I would imagine that mastering Python and teaching yourself some more complex genetics could help.

>> No.5024935

>>5024460
I'm in college.

>>5024572
I'm two years into a bio degree, I don't want to waste a ton of time. I'm not fond of most of the stuff we've done in labs, and looking at future job opportunities and potential internships is what really makes me doubt that this is what I want to do.

>>5024658
Yes. Two college chem courses, and biochem. Wasn't a massive fan.

>>5024725
Heh, maybe I was too vague in the OP. I'm in college. Two years behind me, and today was my first day as a junior.

>>5024758
>>5024748
Good to know, thanks.

>>5024891
Also good to know, thanks. I do know some python - not a master, but it's easy to learn. The /g/ in me hates how slow it is compared to other languages, but it's getting very popular.

>> No.5024970

Can you pull off a biology/chemistry and (applied) math double major? Bioinformatics is very hot right now, so I'd say that combination would put you in a great position for grad school, or provide decent job prospects.

>> No.5025014

You only need to know enough biology and chemistry to understand the problems and the entities involved. The real challenge of bioinformatics is in algorithm design. You need to become familiar with languages that handle strings well. We used PERL.