[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 500x375, 1346131883206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5017494 No.5017494 [Reply] [Original]

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html

>read this article but i'm skeptical
>recently started weight training

I think the idea is awesome but i'm a poorfag
i'm thinking of just sticking my hands in a bucket with ice and water instead

what would be a good temperature or temperature difference to have so that i don't damage my muscles/cells?

is this a good/bad idea?

thanks in advance

>> No.5017514

self bump

>> No.5017515

If you're looking for quick fixes at the beginning of your weight training, you're gonna have a bad time.

>> No.5017541
File: 122 KB, 800x600, 3dfx_Voodoo2_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5017494
You would be better off using a cool wet rag on your face/neck/hands than doing anything with ice.

It sounds like "the glove" works because the combination of vacuum and cold air means the cold doesn't need to be as cold. This means your blood vessels stay open and transfer more heat.

This is opposite of if you were to jam your hands in ice, were the blood vessels would surely close up tight in an automatic response to stop you from freezing.

>> No.5017544

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/dst.2012.0004

bumping with actual research ..

>> No.5017552

>>5017494

I don't have any special knowledge about cellular structure/function, but the article itself says that temperatures too cool/cold will actually cause the reduction of blood flow as opposed to the promotion, hence why the sophisticated glove.

>> No.5017563

That's cool and all but if you're starting off, you're better off focusing on form, range of motion and consistency (in both diet and exercise program.)

Also, putting your hands in ice cold water seems like a great way to injure yourself.

>>>/fit/

>> No.5017570

I suppose this makes sense, though I thought it was common knowledge that the palms of your hands and feet dissipated heat most quickly? I know it's really true for dogs and other animals at least.

I always take off my shoes when I'm hot. Helps me cool down faster.

>> No.5017598

dunno op, but i've always taken big sports neck coolers with me to the gym to cool me off, and i've always known it about doubled my activity / effectiveness in the gym, most people just think it looks weird, but ideally care when im one of the biggest guys in the gym. But im pretty sure these researchers dont know jack about steroids either.. idk how cold your body gets you are not going to bulk up faster with this than steroids.. in fact this is probably optimal for endurance gain and cutting if i had to guess, for pure bulk though nothing beats straight up test.

After reading this i may attempt to boost my cooling efforts.. thanks for the article op.

>> No.5017636

>>5017570
I once heard on QI that this wasn't the case.
QI likes to say shit without checking for proper sources all the time, though.

>> No.5017641
File: 1.32 MB, 204x324, 1256252753443.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5017544
Hmm, after reading this it appears that the most important thing isn't so much the palm cooling, but cooling in general.

The research presented here is more targeted at the importance of heat regulation to prevent muscle fatigue. Although the palm and face seem to be the best at overall heat dissipation, the importance of cooling the stressed muscle tissue itself sounds like the main benefactor from core temp reduction.

Could probably have a low-tech solution in the form of a metal baton with a fan blowing through it to act as a heatsink while running.