[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 500x666, bdb37a7e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5004292 No.5004292 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/ when I was in high school I never took maths seriously. I probably know the equivalent of Algebra 1 in America.

I'm thinking I want to learn math now. But like what makes it intresting to you. Or how is it useful? I can see it being useful for engineers, etc. but what about daily life?

Maths is a complete mystery to me.

>> No.5004295

Math is interesting because it exists.
YOU determine where you can implement it.
The overall knowledge gained will shine through in areas unexpected.

>> No.5004452

>>5004292

There was a once a kid who was trying to hit on my gf. I told him about my math phd and the kid ran scared.

>> No.5004495

because math is true.

it is pure.

can't be wrong.

it has beauty.

it is challenging.

there is always more.

i love you math.

>> No.5004523

I didn't enjoy math that much in high school. I always got A's, but it began to become rather detached from reality around calculus.

I realize calculus has amazing applications, but our books just gave examples like "if a cart is bouncing between two walls on a hypothetical frictionless surface . . . "

Ultimately, I used my talent for math in a field that wouldn't exist without practical application: statistics. I want to benefit society, and I'm not too interested in abstract theories if they have no impact, so it's the perfect fit for me.

>> No.5004524

If you're only interested in it because it's useful to you then you probably won't make it very far. Most people who learn higher level math (past calculus) do so because it is interesting in and of itself. Calculus doesn't have much use outside the sciences and engineering.

>> No.5004528

>>5004523
Basics statistics is probably the most useful mathematics tool that can be easily learned and applied.

>> No.5004535

>>5004292
Basically maths appeal to me in part because it has the best claim by far out of anything to truth. If I can't say that the Pythagorean theorem isn't true, then I can't really say anything much is. That's very nice, but not really the reason, though - the real reason it appeals to me is because it's so fucking intriguing. In studying math you see and experience a pure clarity of thought which you can't get anywhere else, not even in physics. Once you read a proof, solve a problem or explore a conjecture in which you are really able to enter and enjoy this mode of thinking, there is no turning back. You're hooked and know that though other subjects will be interesting in the future, you'll never stop loving math.

>> No.5004548

>>5004523
Once you go just a bit beyond basic calculus, you become able to apply analysis to physics and do amazing feats of engineering. Statistics is all very good, but to me that's something amazing.

>> No.5004573

>>5004548
>a bit beyond basic calculus

What do you mean here, exactly?

>> No.5004582
File: 17 KB, 451x316, 1277869890431.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>history/spiritualfag that's currently taking the math course via khan academy here
>see what you guys say about math
>become more and more giddy to learn more about it
>mfw

>> No.5004591

problem solving is satisfying. I can't really say much more than that, OP. same reason why someone would find putting a jigsaw puzzle together satisfying. it's like that but on a more complex, extreme level.

>> No.5004978

hnnnng.

>> No.5004996

It's especially fun in puzzles.
It helps with problem solving, which is a seriously great skill to have just for daily life.
Personally, I use it when I make my own patterns for sewing so that they're specifically for my body and how I want them, although that probably doesn't apply to you.

But mostly, it's just really fun. Solving a problem is satisfying in its own right. I have an undying love for trig proofs.

>> No.5005007

>>5004582
>math course via khan academy here
lol faggot.

>> No.5005020

<span class="math">\mathrm{let}\;R={x | x \notin x},\;then\;R\inR\LeftrightarrowR\notinR[/spoiler]

>> No.5005021

>>5004582
go into the MIT open course program

>> No.5005019

Can you teach yourself math?

>> No.5005025

<span class="math">\mathrm{let} \; R = {x | x \notin x}, \; then \; R \in R \Leftrightarrow R \notin R[/spoiler]

OP, maths will open you up to whole new worlds of logic, creativity, and problem solving. It is entertaining and beautiful and one of the purest forms of truth available to humanity.

Even something relatively simple to understand opens a world of understanding.