[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 178x250, khan-logo-vertical-transparent.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5002103 No.5002103 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, y'all.

I remember, some time ago reading in a thread that you guys don't recommened khan academy for learning basic math? Could you guys fill me in as to why, and where I could go to find better elucidation?

Thanks as always, /sci/.

>> No.5002106

No, Khan Academy is good.

Its a pendulum sort of attitude here, and this is an extremely infantile and immature community.

Please take it, its an extremely good resource and disregard the naysayers. PatrickJMT on youtube is also great.

But yeah, Khan Academy is a wonderful tool. Go for it OP, don't let anyone stop you from self improvement.

>> No.5002116

>>5002106
I'll bookmark him, thank you for the quick input, and I'll keep up with Khan.

>> No.5002131

Khan is slow and his overcoloring makes me uncomfortable.

But I cannot say what you would think. Try watching some videos and forming your own opinion.

>> No.5002141

The one thing that could be a problem: some people lack the initiative to move on to the next video.

I'd recommend something like Coursera, edX, or some other more structured MOOC for that individual.

>> No.5002143

>>5002141
He does a structured 'reward' system, though.
That being said, coloration and pace can be annoying, but its made to appeal to the layman and can be very thorough, informative, and concise.

>> No.5002156

What made me dislike it:

- Repetition of words. "Word...uh...word..."
- Changing colors for every tiny thing
- Saying, "Uh, I will use magenta now"
- Pronunciation of people's names
- Spelling errors
- Slow as hell sometimes
- Some errors here and there
- Superficial on some subjects

>> No.5002178

>>5002106
>PatrickJMT

I also use him from time to time. Would there be any reason to use him over Khan besides his rugged good looks?

>> No.5002440

>>5002178

He doesn't use a shit ton of colors
Writes in a more readable manner (probably because he's oldschool and uses paper, not some BS paint like program)
Generally makes tighter, more to the point videos.

>> No.5002451

The guy is smart as hell and has a great idea for a website, but his delivery of lectures is boring, poorly edited and he lacks the oral communication skills to lecture in interesting ways.

Also, yes, slow as hell sometimes.

>> No.5002454

khans great from the few lectures i watched.
i mean instead of a 2 hour boring ass lecture you get a 5 minute lecture where you can easily do the problems along with him since they're simple enough.

you can't get that shit anywhere else and it's the best part about his videos. he's a great teacher too so that's why sci boners get so horny and want to cum in his ass.

>> No.5002489

His math section seems alright, but I hate how he hardly really focuses on any other subject. Although I guess that's to be expected since he's only one person. I'd like to see some more history stuff.

>> No.5002837

>>5002489

He's mentioned quantum mechanics in his videos but I don't think he's gotten there yet.

>> No.5002847

I've tried to learn calculus from Khan Academy three times. It's like he's skipping over essential steps.

>> No.5002857

>>5002103
Khanacademy is good if you need to see examples, it's more like a diy tutorial.
But you won't find many proofs, and the lack of rigor is not very appealing.
tldr; depends on what you're looking for.

>> No.5002861
File: 21 KB, 500x375, uhuih.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any service which offers lecture slides free? Videos are time consuming, slides are much friendlier.

Image boards are a great place to present slidese because you can add comments and recieve questions
new /lec/ board delivering topical courses

insert patent here

>> No.5002864

>>5002861
Since when did /sci/ not have spoilers? jimmies agitated

>> No.5002867

I just had a look at some of patrickJMT videos. It's rote learning, he doesn't explain why he does certain steps.
I'd suggest khan over patrick, especially if you want a better explanation of why certain steps are made in math. Much better way to learn, I think.
Though if you already know the concept and just want a refresher maybe I'd go with patrick.