[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 220 KB, 665x1024, caffine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4998127 No.4998127 [Reply] [Original]

http://newsroom ucla.edu/portal/ucla/cramming-for-a-test-don-t-do-it-237733.aspx

"Every high school kid has done it: putting off studying for that exam until the last minute, then pulling a caffeine-fueled all-nighter in an attempt to cram as much information into their heads as they can.

Now, new research at UCLA says don't bother."

"Students generally learn best when they keep a consistent study schedule, Fuligni said. Although a steady pace of learning is ideal, the increasing demands that high school students face may make such a consistent schedule difficult. Socializing with peers and working, for example, both increase across the course of high school. So do academic obligations like homework that require more time and effort."

TL;DR If are pulling an all-nighter, you have already failed.

>> No.4998152

>>Now, new research at UCLA says don't bother."

what the fuck
these are guys are fucking idiots
what do they suggest if you find yourself the night before only knowing half the material? that you just give up and don't even shoot for a passing grade?

>>TL;DR If are pulling an all-nighter, you have already failed.

what-fucking-ever
I've pulled As or A minuses in plenty of engineering exams with all-nighters

"TRY NOT TO LEAVE IT ALL UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE" is retard-level in terms of blatantly self-evident advice

>> No.4998154

>slowpoke.jpg

>> No.4998168
File: 25 KB, 400x352, 1326710233327.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4998152
I don't know about you but in every school I've ever been in you usually know couple of weeks beforehand about the exams. Keeping that in mind if you only know half of the material the night before the exam, then you have failed. Also if you can study half of the course material in one night then you are either studying some shitty field or are in high school.

Point is there's not shortcuts in learning. All-nighters are useless and even harmful if you can into scheduling. You can cram up something in your short-term memory but you can't really learn something in one night. If you are satisfied with the former then you are on your way to McDonald's.

>> No.4998180

>>4998168
>You can cram up something in your short-term memory
That's all that's needed to pass. You can learn that shit later.

>> No.4998195

>>4998127
>"Every high school kid has done it: putting off studying for that exam until the last minute, then pulling a caffeine-fueled all-nighter in an attempt to cram as much information into their heads as they can.

I've never done this.

I used to get nervous and shit, and do decent.

Now i just relax and stay calm and i get As all the time

>> No.4998196
File: 20 KB, 429x420, george-costanza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4998180
Yes, in High School

>> No.4998261

>>4998168
>>Keeping that in mind if you only know half of the material the night before the exam, then you have failed. Also if you can study half of the course material in one night then you are either studying some shitty field or are in high school.

bitch
please
mcgill engineering

though I will say "half" is probably too much to do that late and hope for a good grade, 25% is probably the most you can hope to get down in one night

still, it's idiotic to imply that you might just as well give up if you haven't learned the material yet rather than pull an all-nighter

OBVIOUSLY it's leagues better to learn at a consistent pace, but that should pretty much go without saying at this point, and hardly requires a fucking research paper written about it