[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 206 KB, 1000x667, dwave_ones_in_the_lab_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4985656 No.4985656 [Reply] [Original]

Shit is getting very real. We are at the beginning of the quantum age folks. The future is quantum, and nothing will ever be the same. Are you penises, vaginas, and buttholes ready?

http://www.kurzweilai.net/d-wave-quantum-computer-solves-protein-folding-problem

>> No.4985676

this is your daily reminder that no, your penises, vaginas, and buttholes ARE NOT ready.

>> No.4985688
File: 186 KB, 1262x854, 1345328175259-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>pseudo-quantum computers

>> No.4985706

>the future is quantum
Nope. The world is heading for a cataclysm (/x/ shit aside). None of this is going to matter very soon.

>> No.4985709

>you penises, vaginas, and buttholes ready
>not just using the word orfices
OP confirmed for idort

>> No.4985717

>Conventional computers could already solve these particular protein folding problems.)

was it any faster?

>> No.4985721

your point? It's inevitable for computers to solve a problem eventually. Once technology improves and more information has been entered its pretty much only a matter of time until computers can solve absolutely every question that we have data on and more.

>> No.4985735

how does quantum computing help my vidya.

>> No.4985749

someone explain to me how they could build a 128 qubit computer while universities at the forefront of quantum computer research are struggling to keep a handful of qubits in superposition for long enough to be of any use?

>> No.4985752

>>4985717

Well, it don't know about the size of said proteins in particular but the amount resources needed is the reason there is such a thing as FOLDING@Home (like SETI@Home - voluntary, user-based cloud-computing)

So, it seems to be able to do THAT at least. It's a first step, let's see what the near future brings for d-wave.

>> No.4987150 [DELETED] 

>>4985749
D-Wave isn't building the kind of quantum computer that can run Shor's algorithm or whatever and crack RSA. The problems they solve on it are optimization problems using some kind of wacky annealing approach. Some people say that means they're not *real* quantum computers, but whatever, they can apparently solve some things faster than conventional computers so church-turing's your uncle I guess.

>> No.4987185 [DELETED] 

I wish I had a vagina. ;_;

>> No.4987189
File: 54 KB, 361x365, 1284814286579.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>i had girded my butthole but was severely under prepared

also this

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120819153743.htm

>> No.4987195 [DELETED] 

>>4985709
My mouth is ready

>> No.4987225 [DELETED] 

can someone explain how these things work and what they do?

>> No.4987227 [DELETED] 

>>4987225
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

>> No.4987237 [DELETED] 

>>4985706
explanation?

>> No.4987243 [DELETED] 

Aren't all computers technically quantum computers since the transistor utilizes quantum phenomenon to operate and all computers use many transistors?

Also is this an actual quantum computer because I seem to remember people reacting seriously skeptical that this was an actual quantum computer?

>> No.4987302

I love quantum stuff, I am on a quantum diet currently.

>> No.4987576

why were several posts in this thread deleted

>> No.4987582

>>4987189

Say goodbye to your data encryption kids.

>> No.4987588

>>4987582
Implying I don't keep all my CP on tape drives with an electromagnet hooked up to a car battery ready to rock and roll at a moment notice.

>> No.4987594
File: 24 KB, 102x109, 1340222600819.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>(Conventional computers could already solve these particular protein folding problems.)
>Quantum Computing

>> No.4987604

>>4987189

(The human brain could do it in a minute)

Stay classy, compsci fags. Biology will always be superior.

>> No.4987614

>>4987576
when mods ban someone, they delete all their posts in all threads.
posts ITT all seem reasonable, but whoever posted them must have been banned for something else in the other threads.

fragmented threads are annoying as fuck to read.
read complete threads in the archives if you want to read past the mods faggotry.
https://archive.installgentoo.net/sci/thread/S4985656

>> No.4987641

>>4987604

mathfag here, don't underestimate composite number factoring. It's actually a very difficult problem which is why it's used as the basis for some forms of encryption such as RSA.

Think about it for a second, how would you factor a number that's 500 digits long and only made up of two prime numbers (each hundreds of digits long)? Countless people have approached the problem and the best anyone has done so far. I have a geometric approach that seemed somewhat promising but I haven't worked on it much over the last couple years due to being a failure in other shit going on in my life.

>> No.4987686

Isn't there a good deal of debate over whether or not D-Wave computers are actually useful still? Their adiabatic method didn't sound like it could solve any generic problem assigned to it as not all of them could be reached by adiabatic transformations of the Hamiltonian. I wonder if this is why there hasn't been any news about Shor's algorithm being successfully implemented on the thing.

>> No.4987705

>implying anyone on /sci/ has a vagina, or ever seen one for that matter.

>> No.4987708

I don't really know what to think, there's a course right now on coursera called Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Computation that conveniently ignores this and teaches the quantum gate modell as the only possible one even though it is not practical in real life.

https://class.coursera.org/qcomp-2012-001/class/index

This company is at least 10 years ahead of academia in most aspects so who should you trust?

>> No.4987726

>>4987708
I think this is parallel to some other trends in science especially physics.

Like high energy physics, building large accelerators with limited potential to be usefull in everyday applications over low every which has every chance to be transformative.

Or what we did with fusion, trying to brute force it that even if it worked wouldn't change the way people got their electricity, over lower temperature approaches which have been mostly ignored and got very little funding.

>> No.4987745

>>4987708
Given that they are openly using a scheme that is known to be incomplete and useful only for a fairly small subset of problems, I would say that the gate model is still preferable since it is universal.

>> No.4987757

>>4987726

Cold fusion has never been credibly reproduced.

If anyone manages to reproduce cold fusion, it would be international front-page news.

>> No.4987776

>>4987708
This is probably because the adiabatic quantum computation will not work for all problems. While the adiabatic theorem is true, it will not work out if at any point in time, two levels become degenerate or staying in the true ground state violates some conservation law. There are a great many cases we are interested in where these two things occur and thus adiabatic quantum computing is not as useful as gate quantum computing.

>> No.4987782

>>4987757
by those standards it will probably never happen, since most journals automatically reject everything with cold fusion or anything similar in the title, the hundreds of results that somehow got published anyways won't be credible in your or the publics eye.

>> No.4987793

>>4987782

You're incredibly stupid. Do you seriously think there's some sort of conspiracy against cold fusion?

>> No.4987799

>>4987776
while that's true you've got something that actually works against something that had very little results so far

>> No.4987817

>>4987793
While I know you already made up your mind
This site:
http://lenr-canr.org
has a collection of hundreds of papers on the subject. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

>> No.4987840

>>4987817

I've been on that website for years. It's just a bunch of research papers. I've even read one of the papers, it said (and I paraphrase):

"It would have been good if we actually had video evidence of our experiment so that we could prove to the world that cold fusion really exist. Unfortunately we forgot."

>> No.4988021

>>4987604
>>4987604
Partially correct. Biology is "superior" as of now, but eventually we will surpass it technologically provided the human race survives for atleast another couple of hundred years.

Technology will not have the limitations of a human biological body. When perfected its only limitations will be those of the laws of the universe itself. But certainly we are very far from that. And in the big picture of technological advancements, processors reaching the computational power of one human brain will only be a miniscule milestone. We will surpass it very quickly, in a matter of a few years to a decade to reach the computational power of ALL the human brains that ever existed in one single processor and that will still only be the tip of what is possible.

To give you a perspective on how fast technology advances, we expect to have a processors a thousand times faster then what we have today by 2020. Going by Moore's Law we should surpass the human brain sometime in the middle of this century.

And in a few hundred years biology without technological enhancement will all but be extinct.

>> No.4988048

>>4985749
D-Wave is an offshoot of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of British Columbia.

>> No.4988080

>>4988021
>a decade to reach the computational power of ALL the human brains that ever existed in one single processor

>we should surpass the human brain sometime in the middle of this century.

That seems like a logical contradiction.

>> No.4988116

>>4985749
>D-Wave's architecture differs from traditional quantum computers in that it has noisy, high error-rate qubits, since it is designed specifically for quantum annealing.

>> No.4988148

>>4988080
My bad. I thought it was clear.

A decade after reaching the computational power of one brain is what I meant. As long as Moore's Law holds true, which it has so far and is widely accepted, we should reach the computational power of one brain that is around 10^19 Flops by 2030-50 and if Moore's Law still holds true after this point we should hit 10^26 i.e the computational power of all the brains that ever existed and ever will in no more then a decade or two.

>> No.4988200

>>4987641
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shor%27s_algorithm

factors numbers in O(log(n)^3), which is just about equivalent to linear time.

if someone had a quantum computer, we'd know about it: RSA would be gone, and RSA underpins _everything_

we do have post-quantum encryption schemes, but there's no reason to use them yet

>> No.4988309

>>4988148

What would the implications of such an event?

>> No.4988321

>>4988309

We become cyborgs or something

>> No.4988463

>>4988321
>>4988309
Cyborgs, eventually when nanotechnology sufficiently evolves but not immediately.
It is near impossible to predict all the implications since we are not taking into account the advances made in other fields away from computers which could takes us down completely new paths when combined with these super processors. A few conclusions we can draw are probably rapid early advances in the filed of AI and brain processor linking. The later, to put simply will lead to Matrix like real life simulations in regard to games, movies or whatever other things we wish to simulate. Communities will be formed in these simulations just like they were on the internet early on.
Predicting AI is a bit trickier. Early advances might see governments slowly incorporating it into controlling smaller networks/systems programmed to make decisions best suited for that system. It remains to be seen how rapid this incorporation is and how the public service industry reacts to these advances. It would be safe to assume most of the manufacturing and a lot of the customer service industry is replaced with some scale of AI.
Weather forecasts will become 99% accurate.