[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 220x293, 220px-Albert_Einstein_1947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4978045 No.4978045 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,

Studying which of the three sciences--biology, chemistry, or physics--will be best for entrepreneurship in five years time?

I know there is a lot of industry activity going on right now with biotechnology, but I'm not sure where that's headed. And of course, physics is the perennial best bet in terms of flexibility and wages, though entrepreneurial endeavours may be a different story.

inb4 engineering, fuck dat

>> No.4978046

I'd say chemistry. Fucking homeopathy up in this bitch.

>> No.4978053

>>4978046

Thanks for the quick reply. Here you go: http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/directory/food.shtml

>> No.4978060

>>4978046

So does that homeopathy bit mean you're a troll, or are you merely spoiling a valid suggestion?

>> No.4978066

>>4978045

> engineering, fuck dat

its engineering and comp sci.
chem engineering and biomed engineering are good too.

>5 years time

bachelors degrees are becoming more mainstream, theoretical sciences are becoming more specialized. Unless you want to get a Masters/Phd and work in a lab there's really no point to do a theory-science major (bio, chem,phys)

only do things in applied sciences or engineering.

/thread

>> No.4978074

>>4978045
Choose whatever you think will lead you to nanotech, because that's the goal.

>> No.4978078

There's a fuckload of money in homeopathy.

>> No.4978089

>>4978066

I see what you're saying, but I can hire engineers for plebian things such as production processes. First, one needs an idea. A good, patented idea. And in that I feel scientists have an edge, since they're on the ground floor. But what idea? Some biotech (biology)? A new material (chemistry)? Better fuel cells (physics)? I just don't know where the market is headed.

>> No.4978101

>>4978089

>And in that I feel scientists have an edge, since they're on the ground floor. But what idea? Some biotech (biology)?

no they don't have an edge because they aren't used to thinking practically and efficiently, you can't just have a random idea, it needs to be specific to a problem, economic, marketable, etc..

idea generation depends on the individual not so much their training; a sci-fi writer/engineer invented the Pringles chip tube.

>> No.4978103

Do you have any knowledge of entrepreneurship?

>> No.4978124

I'm going to give you an unpopular response and then justify it.

Physics.

Now you're thinking, what the fuck, that esoteric academic wash, how will that ever be applicable to industry. And maybe you're right. The reasons I consider physics to be the best career option are as follows. It's the hardest to learn. I'm not refering to soft science/trollscience/300k starting. Firstly, physics is the most mathematical and therefore equips you with the most broadly applicable skill sets - most importantly a thurough grounding in formal logic. Secondly, it has the fewest number of people who go into it to become entrepreneurs, meaning physics related entrepreneurship and less competition. Lastly, the biological sciences, where science is evolving the fastest, has a poorly understood physical basis, which could surely be exploited with a greater input from physics.

>> No.4978133

>>4978124

If mathematics is what makes things hard, then he should do mathematics because according to you that would be the hardest thing.

OP, do whatever you like and you'll be successful if you put in lots of time into a decent idea, regardless of the field. It's cheesy, but it's true whether you're in pharmaceuticals, the restaurant business, or whatever.

I have a friend like you OP. He wants to foremost be an entrepreneur and is trying to guess what the market is like in 5 years. First he was doing business, then electrical engineering, now biomedical engineering, aka he has no fucking clue what he's doing, and he's a year into university now. Don't be a fucking retard. If you really want to be solely a businessman, be a business major.

>> No.4978141

>>4978133
A degree in mathematics rarely involves actually _using_ mathemetics.
Physics is all about applying mathematics to real world phenomena.

>> No.4978178
File: 424 KB, 1680x1050, 1342563849142.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4978124
Thanks, this makes sense to me.

>>4978133
Also a good point. Perhaps luckily for me, what I like the most is physics, so that takes care of that.

I'll admit I have a bit of a "if I can do physics I can do anything" mindset. I guess anything that lets you feeling like you can do anything is a good thing to go after.

Thanks guys.

brb in 5 years, becoming Tony Stark

>> No.4978194

>>4978133

Nice to know you disagree, I said my opinion would be unpopular.

There are two reasons I reccommended physics over mathematics. One: OP didn't include mathematics in the list of degree to choose from; Two: you learn the same amount of science-applicable math in a physics degree and physics is grossly underused in most modern science.

>> No.4978208

>>4978045

You ask for the degree that will be best for entrepreneurship, and then immediately discount engineering? What the fuck are you on?

>> No.4978209

Engineering is the art of adding value to things. OP what the hell men. I am rustled.

>> No.4978220

>>4978209
>>4978208
Sorry to rustle your feathers, guys. I'm just speaking from what I know. My ex-girlfriend is doing her MSc in Microbiology and half the people in her lab have incorporated companies and patented their research. It's a huge thing at my school (University of Waterloo), scientists (esp. in bio and chem) incorporating and forming industry partnerships. The plain fact is, a lot of scientific research is being done that is directly marketable. Patent, incorporate, partner, profit. I don't need no iron ring.

And as for the people asking if I had entrepreneurial experience, yes. I was the co-founder of a web tech startup. $100k/year passive income. Thanks.

>> No.4978228

>>4978141

I don't understand how physics gives an advantage over some form of engineering. Sure a physicist has a broader knowledge of physical processes, but how the fuck will a physicist make anything when he doesn't have the specific knowledge invention requires. And don't give me that bullshit about physicists being james bond gods who can do anything because they got their undergraduate degree. I know a lot of physics majors who have some ubermensch fantasy where they idolize being a physics major and think that because they do good at physics that they're better than everyone else. I fucking lol as a EE/math/physics major because even I don't a ego that huge.

>>4978178

See what I just wrote, that mentality is fucking stupid.

>> No.4978238

>>4978228
Fair enough, but all you're doing with the argument is deflating physics--it doesn't seem to imply that biology or chemistry would be better options. I think that, like others have said, if you work hard and you have the right mindset, you will be successful (inb4 naive). I gave the choice of the three because I've finished my first year or general science and now it's time to specialize. So engineering is out because (a) I don't want to go back and repeat another first year of engineering, and (b) if I decide not to do entrepreneurial stuff, I can go get a PhD and do research in a field that interests me (working at some engineering firm building stuff for other people holds no interest to me; I'm stubbornly impractical unless I can do things 100% my way).

These fuckin captchas are difficult to decipher.

>> No.4978252

>>4978220
You can conduct engineering type activity under the banner of other disciples, which sounds like what you described. Same same is inversely true.

But if you want to specialize in engineering take engineering, don't be misinformed by what it is.

>> No.4978259
File: 38 KB, 800x800, 1327352254550.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4978275

>>4978259
Yeah, we all know it, but don't forget that physics and chemistry are for those who are too cognitively impaired for pure maths.

>> No.4978281

>>4978275
Nah, I'm a mathematician and I think physicists are legit. Chemists strike me as subterranean gnomes that live off of factlets and chew computer wire, but nonetheless smart.

>> No.4978294

>>4978208
OP this is important. Entrepreneurship is always engineering in a way.

I got into biology for such a thing. It used to be fantastic and a good thinker with the right backing could make companies and sell them off over and over. this type of thing domminated the antibody industry which was fueled by the increase in bio-science grants. also start up pharma research companies and biomed implant/hardware companies have done this as well. What I am trying to say is that things always change but can be somewhat basic. Your best bet for any biotech is a combination of all three of the main sciences: physics, chemistry, biology with a strong focus on what you are good at. always think of the potentials. it is a big big world.

>> No.4978310

do engineering and applied science if you really like physics, math, science in general, advanced problem solving, etc

do physics if you only really, really, really, really like physics

because the job opportunities are shit in comparison and the post-grad work isn't fruitful either

>> No.4978341

>>4978281
>that Chemist anology
Why do you say that? Though funnily enough I am chewing on my headphone cable right now.

>> No.4978360

Do engineering, especially Chemical or Mechanical.

If you can survive it and pull out a good GPA that's your ticket to way more places than chem/bio/physics. In jobs that only require a bachelors, people generally look up to and are impressed right when you say engineering. If you are charismatic then your good to go. They already know your intelligent since you were able to survive this hell hole of a grind.

>> No.4978375

>>4978360

Everything you just said to justify that happens to physics majors as well...

>> No.4978379

>>4978360

do you understand what entrepreneurship means?

>> No.4978520

>>4978089

Might want to stop putting the cart before the horse OP. Do you even have an idea to be the focus of your entrepreneurship?

>>4978360

>They already know your intelligent since you were able to survive this hell hole of a grind.

How bad is that by the way? I mean, I imagine that's totally subjective to the person studying, but just in general. I've been considering it, but I've been going through some difficult times. Just now finding out I have some sort of cognitive disorder, still getting used to pills, pills might not work properly because of an unrelated suppressant. etc, etc.